Working out not a problem, dieting is.

Options
31 years old, and at the heaviest I've ever been. The last few years has seen me go from 300 to around 370.

The goal is to drop that 70, and go on from there.

I can workout no problem, at least three times a week. Play flag football. I stay active. But dietiing sucks...alot.

But no change comes wihout some discomfort. So...here I go.

Replies

• logansmummy724
    Options
    My problem is both...but more the dieting also :(

im the heavist ive ever been at 250 i was always thick but i was curvy and looked good but after a pregnancy and miscarriage my body exploded :(
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I suggest you change your terminology and mind set to 'eating healthy' vs 'dieting'. A life style change is the goal, not just to diet and go back to old ways once you meet your goal. You can do this, it takes effort but so worth it!!!
  • mattalexx
    Options
    And as you seem to understand, restricting calories should be the number one strategy for fat loss. It's more important than exercise.

The reason is, our bodies evolved to use only tiny amounts of fuel. A half cup of cooked brown rice takes a half an hour to run off. Would you rather run for an extra half an hour or not eat that extra scoop of brown rice?
  • dan_IRL
    dan_IRL Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    THe problem is dieting. Dieting is temporary. If you "go on a diet" you are doing something temporary, usually with the purpose of losing weight.

Is that your intention? Because if that is your intention you are guaranteeing yourself that you will gain it all back, and probably more,. when you "stop dieting".

So first off, don't "diet". Take that vocabulary and thought process out of your mind.

Make small changes to the things you currently eat. A few changes at a time.
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Maybe try setting your weight loss at 1lb or 0.5 lb per week to give yourself a larger calorie allowance - that way you'll feel less deprived of the foods you like as you'll be able to fit them in better. The weight loss will be slower but you might be more likely to stick to it.

Also making lots of smaller changes can make it feel less drastic too - my main problem with food is portion sizes so I try to only cook what I need. I also make a point of adding an extra vegetable than I would previously as this was something I was lacking previously too!

I hope this helps!

Lisa
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open, so I can't see what your caloric goal is.

But I've known plenty of people (myself included) who have successfully shed the pounds by eating the things that they want, but sticking close to their macros. For example, I will still eat a burger when I want to, or a few slices of pizza-- I just make sure to eat lighter or more nutritious meals the rest of the day.

You don't have to starve yourself or pass on the cookies to lose weight.
  • Reza151
    Reza151 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hear hear! If I didn't have binging issues, I'd have a Shakira body already lol!

It might help for you to post on the refrigerator and kitchen cabinets reminders of your goals. Maybe a picture of how you used to look before the weight gain, a sticky note with reasons why you want to get into shape, some famous person who you might use as inspiration...
  • Maris_Swan
    Maris_Swan Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Don't diet. You need to change your lifestyle to maintain for the long haul. Once you change out of that mindset, it may get easier.