Anyone else all alone?

Options
Hi - I am all alone in this journey. I was sick for a long time and my friends moved on. Sadly I gained a lot of weight and now I'm slowly trying to do a little something everyday. I'm so out of shape and even walking up the stairs is so hard. I'm mad at myself for letting this get so out of control. I like the Groupon deals and I've bought a few of the "fitness" deals, but am embarrassed about how out of shape I am, and not being able to do the whole class.

Any suggestions??

Thanks so much in advance.

Replies

• kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've been there but then a friend told me :just do what you can."
    I started going to classes at lunchtime and I would just hide in the back. When I needed to stop, I just marched in place and picked back up when I was ready. Before I knew it I didn't need to stop anymore:)
    Give it a shot
  • hartmacy
    Options
    Do what you can do and then push yourself to do just a little bit more. I tell myself that I can quit after 5 minutes, but rarely to I do it. Getting started is the hardest thing for me. Keep plugging along and you will build up endurance. Just keep telling yourself that you can do it. I always look at it that whatever I did is that much more than what I would have done before I started this journey. :flowerforyou:
  • lauramarina71
    lauramarina71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey Lovely!
    I'm not alone, but feel your pain. Please add me, if you wish, and we can cheer each other on. Super proud of seeing you get started here. There's so much more accountability in this than I thought there would be.
    Keep strong and keep positive. XO
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Welcome back- getting up and starting again is a great thing! When I would start a fitness regime and I was out of shape, I would do as much of it as I could and then leave the class if I had to. In no time at all I was doing the whole class. Just wanted you to know you can start out slow and not be embarrassed. Do what you've got to do to get back on track. You can do it!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you already took the first step to a healthier you! You want to do it and you are here. Start off slow and work your way up. Never compare yourself or activity level to others, everyone's at different levels. I couldn't do what I do now 5 months ago, or even 1 month ago! Try and find something you enjoy. Don't be afraid of those classes, take them, what's the worse that could happen while attempting one? Aliens could invade, zombie apocalypse or godzilla could step on the building! -See, doesn't seem so bad now, right?! LOL
  • eliseboehland
    Options
    I agree the hardest thing to do is step into a class the first time knowing you are out of shape. But you have all ready decided to make a change in your lifestyle, why not get the encouragement at those classes that classmates can give you. Many of them started at your spot one day in time. You might find a person to exercise with or simply jus tto smile and say hello to. It took you years to get to the shape you arein now, it will take time to get to the shape you want to be. But it is all worth the effort.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    same here. do what you can then stop or just march in place. I've not worked up the nerve to take another class yet (used to do kickboxing and fencing), but still use the ellipitical and weight equipment to burn calories. I also practice slow, stretching yoga in the mornings in my living room. It is relaxing, cheap and does burn calories. There are all kinds of DVD's out there. Choose Hatha yoga for slow stretching movements. once you get some core build up you'll see your stamina build for those classes.
  • PeanutButterLover1984
    Options
    Firstly you are not all alone - there are thousands of people out there in exactly the same situation.

I felt aweful that I couldn't do physical exercise as I was ill for a few months and it made me pile on the weight (well technically it was the poor diet but you know what I mean) so I can empathise.

Don't worry about not being able to manage a whole class, they are designed for all abilities and with perseverance you will manage it too and each week you will see an improvement. I know I always admire someone more for getting out there and trying than sitting on their bum and not bothering.
  • RobbinRL
    Options
    Hi - I am all alone in this journey. I was sick for a long time and my friends moved on. Sadly I gained a lot of weight and now I'm slowly trying to do a little something everyday. I'm so out of shape and even walking up the stairs is so hard. I'm mad at myself for letting this get so out of control. I like the Groupon deals and I've bought a few of the "fitness" deals, but am embarrassed about how out of shape I am, and not being able to do the whole class.

Any suggestions??

First I will admit I am not a "work out" sort of person.

What I did when I began was walk, walk and more walking. I now look forward to my lunch hour (60 min) and I power walk 5 days per week. Just plain ole walking is GREAT excercise. Total body is moving. Each week step it up a notch, not many can keep up with me now! LOL

RE being embarrassed about being out of shape and not being able to complete a class..........PHEWY! As many others have said "do what you can" and just march in place. It's better than doing nothing and you get farther and farther as the weeks go on. Before you know it you'll be full steam ahead with the rest.

This along with reversing bad food habits has worked great for me and I am sure there are other like myself out there.

Feel free to add me if you'd like.

Robbin
  • rjbrandt58
    Options
    I'm new here as well. Sort of. I joined some time ago, but fell off the wagon so to speak, but am back on again with gusto!

I'm not trying to lose a whole lot of weight, just 20 - 25 pounds, but it's hard work! I'm post menopausal, have asthma (since childhood) but I try not to let it get in my way, though some days I have to. I have high blood pressure and that is my main reason for wanting to drop the weight.

My problem? A husband who can eat anything and everything and magically does not gain weight and has no cholesterol problems, blah blah blah. Makes it difficult as he has discovered he likes being in the kitchen cooking! Double edged sword as I get a break, but not from the calories etc.

I can't join a club for many reasons, but have learned to improvise. My big thing is walking. I walk at least once a day. I started slowly going about .7 of a mile. Day by day I increased it short increments. I'm now up to 4 miles a day. I also improvise a stair climber by using real stairs. I stand at the bottom and go up two and back down. 5 minutes increased to 15 and now I do the whole flight 15 minutes. Weight lifting? You don't need machines or barbells! Use a soup can in each hand!

I have to admit, my legs and arms are looking much better, but my mid section is going to take a lot more time and work. I didn't get this way overnight. I certainly don't hope to look like I did when I was in my 20s or 30s, but I'll take 40s!

I started off looking at the total amount of weight I want/ have to lose. That was a big mistake. I'm setting smaller goals of a pound a week. I've lost 5 pounds and bought myself a small reward. I went to Michaels and bought some watercolor paper. Next 5 might be a book. I don't know if it will work for you, but it's helping me.

Hang in there and good luck to you!
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    You aren't alone :flowerforyou:

I felt the same way the day I signed up here on MFP. Since then I have had up and downs. Guess what??? I know I can come on here and find encouragement. I have found there are other people in my same situation, there are people who are worse off than me and there are people here who inspire me!!

You can do it!!! You have to fight for this. Do what you can, even if it's just a little at first. You will be amazed at how small changes end up inspiring you to make bigger changes. The process is slow and you might have days you want to give up...DON"T!!!!

Feel free to add me. I am a work in progress but I know i will reach my goals.....we can do this together :)
  • janisbirch
    janisbirch Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It's comforting to see so many people have responded to this post. I too am alone for the most part. I can empathize with you about letting yourself get unconditioned and gaining a bunch of weight due to illness and inactivity. I have zero muscle tone from not being active for 4 years. I had to have 3 surgeries in 3 years where 75% of that time my right leg was in a cast. The other 25% of the time was spent having a broken hip that wasn't diagnosed for 5 months! I had to recover from that too.

Now I'm trying to get back into the routine of exercising, however I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia, and a host of other medical concerns. I can only do so much, but I keep trying and trying, especially on my good days. I'm up to 15 mins on my Gazelle. Today I'll try for 20 mins. Maybe taking it slow in the beginning is the answer in order to build endurance. At least I hope so.

My concern is this...will I be able to gain back some muscle tone, especially at my age (late 50's)?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Get REALLY MAD.

Get so mad that you change your life once and for all and have enough fire to stick to your guns and prove to yourself that when you say you want something... you freaking MEAN IT, with the vengeance of a hundred mama bears.

or you dont.

but prove it either way.

:flowerforyou:
  • doirone
    doirone Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You're not alone! I was 5 pounds from my goal 2 1/2 years ago. Not sure what happened... but I gained 30 pounds back and I'm now back to struggling with my weight. Not sure why!! I was much happier when I was comfortable in my skin.

Bottom line, you're never alone! We're all in this together and have the same struggles. This is a great community and the support helps tremendously! Feel free to add me everyone!
  • Dgadd17
    Dgadd17 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I went through the same feelings of embarrassment when I started taking classes. I hid in the back, regularly looked at the instructor like she was crazy, and stopped for "water breaks" often. But I stayed, which was HUGE. Not only did I stay, I made myself go back. And when I went back, I did more and did better. I'm not in shape yet, but I'm getting there. I've gone from the back of the class to the front of the class and now other people are watching me for direction. Almost five months, and I finally am starting to feel more comfortable in my skin.
    Sorry I've droned on; I just wanted you to know you're not alone. You can do this. On your good days, do what you can. On your bad days, don't eat as much and log everything, so you're accountable to yourself. I'm not sure how much muscle tone you'll be able to get back, but it seems like you'll definitely be able to get SOME if you just keep at it.
    Feel free to add me; I'm always looking for new friends for mutual motivation. :)
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Hey guuuuuuuurl,

Know what's great? You're on MFP now! So you're not alone! Woo!! Let's party! And by party I mean go to those fitness classes and work really hard and sweat like crazy and laugh at each other and ourselves and at stupid jokes we make and then get soooo tired that we may or may not finish the class but who the heck cares because we sweat a lot and had fun. Also we can share how we're feeling with each other, even if how we're feeling makes no sense or is really sad, cuz guess what? We all get sad. And that's just reality, so we can all relate to it, and talking about it makes it better so we can pick each other up and keep moving forward. :)

Best of luck in all your endeavors!!!!!!
    - Mary
  • SlimmingMeDown
    SlimmingMeDown Posts: 63 Member
    Options

Any suggestions??

Online, you've got a lot of support on this site.

I suggest exercise videos if you want to work out by yourself. You will feel very secure as you won't have anyone around you.
  • fordgyrl84
    fordgyrl84 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your DEF not alone and thanks for posting . I can REALLY relate.. I went through a Transformation of sorts and lost forty lbs a Couple years ago. I was eating sensibly and doing Kickboxing 5x a week . I FELT amazing, Powerful , Like there wasnt anything I couldnt accomplish after that..

Then my 28 year old Boyfriend was Diagnosed with Cancer.. It was devastating to say the least and between his 8 hour a day chemo sessions, the stress of watching someone you love suffer and working Full time I was EXHAUSTED and running on fumes while pretending to keep it all together.. The Thing I was slacking the most on was my diet and Excerise. I have gained alot back and now I am kinda Ashamed to go back to Kickboxing. I felt like a failure :(

I know we gotta start somewhere.. I think the best advice is that you can only go at your level.. Plus nobody else there that is serious about there own fitness is watching what you are doing.. I know that was a big thing for me.. Good Luck !!
  • elsdonward
    elsdonward Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi

I do not understand you going into a class. I realise that on some continents you cannot go out and walk on your own. This is a real pity if that is thecase. I could hardly walk two months ago but now I am walking well and everything is starting to go my way.

You could get second hand steps and cycles - and also get some dvd's and follow the programmes - on your own (because you are used to that)

You could always concentrate on your diet - and make sure you only make good choices with your food.

When I was 21 my first marriage broke down. I ran away to Mom and was very heavy. I took my sister to the dance and would not go in - just saw everyone having fun in there. So I went back to Mom's and went on a calorie diet. You know what it changed my life. When I went back into the dance someone put a note into my hand within five minutes. I never was on my own again from that point forward.

So things can change for you - just be determined and start as you mean to go on and build your confidence

A Friend xx
  • sccarte
    sccarte Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Based on my experience, start with very manageable goals. Something that feels easy and be patient with yourself.
    Just walk for 1 minute a day for one week even if you feel like you can do more. If do something easy to start with, it will give you the confidence and the motivation to keep going. The other thing that I learned is that you can't let your mood determine whether or not you follow through with your goals. You just have to do it. But if you start slowly, you won't be intimidated or overwhelmed.
    Then walk for 2 minutes per day for one week.
    Add minutes incrementally until you can at least walk for 30 minutes/day.
    I went from a couch potato to running a full marathon 12 years ago using this approach. I literally walked for one minute per day to start. After months of incrementally adding walking minutes, I then incrementally started jogging.

I am now starting over after a few years of no exercise and this is the approach that I am using again.

Best wishes!