First Marathon!

Options
Hello!

In a moment of madness a few months ago I entered the London Marathon 2014 ballot, and I've got in!!! :-) I'm over the moon as it's something I've always said I'd love to do given the chance .... BUT I am very scared too!

I've done a couple of 10k's, with my best time being 67 minutes. 5k I can do in 31 minutes. But I need to start raining properly!

Anyone who's done the London Marathon, any advice much appreciated!

Anyone also taking part, support would be fab so happy to befriend anyone who is! :-)

Katy
x

Replies

• kalamitykate83
    kalamitykate83 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Just bumping this .... surely there's someone here! Lol

x
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    No advice sorry! But I want to wish you the best of luck!
  • kalamitykate83
    Options
    No advice sorry! But I want to wish you the best of luck!

Thank you!! :-) x
  • humberstunner
    Options
    Nice one re entering your first marathon. I think you'll get plenty of advice on here once the clock ticks round to wake up time in the US of A.

I would say follow the intermediate 24 week training plan that's on the Virgin London Marathon website as you've got plenty of time between now and then.

I would personally also plan a couple of half marathons in before the date to get you used to race conditions
  • kalamitykate83
    Options
    Nice one re entering your first marathon. I think you'll get plenty of advice on here once the clock ticks round to wake up time in the US of A.

I would say follow the intermediate 24 week training plan that's on the Virgin London Marathon website as you've got plenty of time between now and then.

I would personally also plan a couple of half marathons in before the date to get you used to race conditions

Yeah I'm going to plan to find a half marathon to do january / february time if I can, and maybe a few 10k's too just for practise!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Have a look at Hal Higdon - pretty much tried and tested as a marathon programme. Also if you are on runnersworld, there are good programmes for different levels, and the smart coach feature is useful, if you have a subscription.

Runnersworld is also a good place to look for race listings, for the half.

Best of luck. I'm super jealous you got in the ballot!

(Bumping as I have a largish number of running friends, who are far more experienced than me and may have some ideas if they spot the link on my feed.)
  • corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I did the Hal Higdon beginner marathon plan for my first..Was a great plan for me to just get the first one under my belt...

it's a matter of committing the time to do the plan in its entirety and not getting injured in the process!

Good luck!