Need Some Help with Exercises

Options
I joined MFP on September 2, 2013. At that time, I had made the decision to do a complete lifestyle change. I became more active and started walking with my daughter. Well, she strolled...I walked.

I worked my way up to walking over 2 miles within 2 weeks. I walked every day. Along with watching my calorie intake and making better food choices and walking, I lost 7 pounds in my first month. :smile: I was also blessed to have a friend give me their old Wii system along with Wii Fit, Wii Active I and Wii Active II.

However, the weather is turning colder here in NC and I'm losing my motivation to go walking. Well, I'm thinking I've lost it completely. I'm not walking every day like I was. In fact, I find myself only walking maybe once a week now. I'm trying to motivate myself to do the Wii exercises every night (I usually wait until my daughter is in bed for the night..easier for me to focus on my workout). Most of the time, I'm finding myself so exhausted from events of the day that I just want to crawl into bed. I'm just finding it difficult to find the motivation to exercise, especially when it comes to walking.

Does anyone have any suggestions to get over this slump? :frown: I'm just not sure how to get past this. And I don't want to start regaining the weight that I just lost.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• jenmencer
    Options
    Do you have 25 minutes to spare? I just finished Focus T25 from Beachbody. I liked it because it was short and to the point, and also the fact that there was a modifier was awesome too. It is getting cold here too and unfortunately I spent most of my Summer indoors. Central PA humidity about kills me! Congrats on your 7 pound loss...I bet you are already starting to feel how great fitness can truly be! :)
  • GottaLoseIt13
    GottaLoseIt13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    @jenmencer: Unfortunately, I don't have the extra money to spend on exercise programs. I can't afford them. I've seen all the ads for the T25 and P90X and as much as I would like to be able to do those kinds of programs...I just can't right now due to finances. I greatly appreciate the suggestion though. Thank you!
  • jenmencer
    Options
    @jenmencer: Unfortunately, I don't have the extra money to spend on exercise programs. I can't afford them. I've seen all the ads for the T25 and P90X and as much as I would like to be able to do those kinds of programs...I just can't right now due to finances. I greatly appreciate the suggestion though. Thank you!

There is a free channel on Youtube called BEFIT. I always recommend that to people who are broke, like me :) Lots of free workouts at any fitness level and time frame. Check it out!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Must be rough when "getting colder" equates highs in the 70's and lows in the mid 50's.
  • GottaLoseIt13
    Options
    @RGv2: Just so you know, I spent 31 years living in Ohio. I've been in feet of snow, feet of ice and temperatures down to -20. I know that the winters down here in NC are nothing like that of northern states. I've lived down here for 3 years now and I still find it humorous how locals act when the forecast calls for 1/2" of snow. I understand that you being from MN, you've seen a lot of snow in your lifetime. Probably more than I have. And more than I ever will.

Although we do get temperatures that can be as low as the 30's at times, I do live in a part of the country that doesn't see a lot of snow or winter. I don't like to take my daughter out in the cold weather we have here. (Before you say anything...once again, lived in OH for 31 years...went to school all winter and played out in the snow all winter as well) She enjoys going on the walks as much as I do and I enjoy her company while walking. It takes my mind off of if my legs are hurting or my hips are hurting. So as the weather is starting to get colder, my motivation to go out walking without her is lacking.

As a side note: If you don't have anything really worth contributing to a post, why bother commenting? Your comment wasn't worth anything...except to make yourself look like a stuck up person who thinks that all southerners are those that complain it's cold when the temperature drops below 70. I never said that I was cold. It didn't reach above 62 here today, clouds, wind, and some rain... I was still in a t-shirt and shorts while others were in hoodies and jeans....
  • GottaLoseIt13
    Options

There is a free channel on Youtube called BEFIT. I always recommend that to people who are broke, like me :) Lots of free workouts at any fitness level and time frame. Check it out!

Thanks! I will do that!
  • terri_journey
    terri_journey Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone makes tons of Walking DVD's, most are on you tube (FREE ), or you can pick them up at Walmart, Target, several other places, EBay for sure! They are just right for people that want to walk like a runner. She incorporates kicks, side steps, knee lifts, it's a whole body workout. I have several of them and love them. Hope this helps! :smile:
  • jessicaodell1
    Options
    It's so easy to lose your motivation to exercise by the time the day is over and the kiddo is in bed (this is totally me). That's why I do it first thing in the morning, always. If I don't do it then I know it's probably not going to happen. Is there any way for you to do your walks first thing in the morning? Great job on your success so far, you can do this!
  • HealthyChick67
    Options
    I like a mini trampoline, aka Rebounders. They are about $40 in sports stores or can be ordered on line. A few minutes ea day has great benefits & are fun! U can jog, dance, etc. Kids love them also. They don't take up much space. I live in NY on country roads, so winter walking outside doesn't happen much. I exercise early morn in my Pjs. Even going up & down steps with a few books in a book bag are helpful. Switch things up. Give yourself little rewards (non food) after so many miles. Use those muscles! Have fun! Sorry, I didn't see the part about finances. Maybe u could ask someone for an early Christmas present. U tube is great to find all kinds of exercises, using your own body & household items as weights, as well as yoga, Pilates, etc. Leslie Sansonne on YouTube is very good. Only need a small space.
  • GottaLoseIt13
    Options
    @territory9123, @jessicaodell1, @HealthyChick6: Thank you for the suggestions. Usually my little girl is my alarm clock, but I may start setting my alarm to get up well before she does so I can get some exercising in before she wakes up.
  • danielstarrett
    Options
    Try watching craigslist or freecycle.com. You can even place ads with both. You can usually find a lot of what you need or want for real cheap (I live off of less than 1,000 a month so understand the finances). Look for a treadmill, ski machine, or rowing machine (tread and rowing can be collapsed to fit under most beds) and use them whenever you are going to sit down to watch tv. Whatever your watching, do it while you exercise; it will take your mind off the burn and ache and you may find yourself doing it more often and/or longer ;-)
  • GottaLoseIt13
    Options
    @danielstarret: The sad part is I have a treadmill in the house. It's currently in my daughter's room. I guess I'll be making some changes to her room so I'm able to unfold it and go in and work out for awhile on it. Right now, she has so much stuff in there, it's just been shoved in the corner and forgotten about. Thank you for reminding me that I do have a resource available to me so I can still walk during the colder days! :smile:
  • xoxoAshleyy
    xoxoAshleyy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really like this youtube blogger that I found, Blogilates, look her up.

She puts together calendars and workout videos that are great at home workouts and its all free :)
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender is a great youtube channel with free workout videos. Most are 10-20 or 30 minutes. They have some that are beginner stuff, & easy to do, not all the crazy jumping & high intensity training. Plus they have yoga & pilates videos.

BeFit is another great one, I saw someone recommended that already. You can pretty much find anything on YouTube. :)