What are you doing

Options
Are most people just watching the calories and having success or are you also doing something else? Like low carb, hcg, phentermine, ect?

Replies

• kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    just watching calories and exercising..:)
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I am pretty much just watching calories and exercising. I might do one of the specialized diets for a week or so just to mix it up.
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I am watching calories, sodium intake, exercising and drinking LOTS of water. Good luck on your weight loss journey!:drinker:
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Old fashion way here, diet and exercise. Been conclusively proven to work. My advice, stay away from short cuts.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I am insulin resistance, so I also watch my carbs (well not really) but I eat from a Low Glycemic Scale of Foods .. and allow Medium Scaled Foods as well... and TRY to avoid High Scale foods (sugary fats) ... But mostly just counting calories, exercising and making better decisions.
  • Maggie1960
    Options
    I'm keeping my calories down and my exercise up and drinking like a fish (water of course, not the demon alcohol:bigsmile: )
    It's working for me, I'm happy.
  • Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I am watching calories, sodium intake, exercising and drinking LOTS of water. Good luck on your weight loss journey!:drinker:

Ditto! Working for me!
  • jimmydeanbakker
    Options
    Counting calories and exercising. Well, the program is counting the calories, but I think you get the gist. I would like to think that MFP has taken the old fashion approach of eat less and move more as the weight loss plan. I don't prescribe to the fad diets that say, "Don't eat this or don't eat that" to lose weight. I like the idea of eat it as long as it fits into your daily calories.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Just watch calories and exercise. I also limit my starchy carb intake simply because they are calorie dense, not because they are carbs. For most people a calorie is a calorie don't worry too much about macro-nutrients.
  • megano_d
    Options
    I do Nutrisystem because i work from home and need help with portion control. I dont do any exercise other than walking right now because it causes a huge hunger spike for me and since I am keeping my cals under 1200 I am already cranky from lack of food. Just hit 22 lbs lost though and feeling great!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I contribute my success to counting calories and exercising 2-3 times a week. In regards to my food of choice, I do try to steer clear of white flour and white sugar, and eat the "perimeter of the grocery store" - fruits, vegetables, lean meats and dairy. Not carb counting, but definitely limiting the types of carbs I choose to eat.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm doing reduced calories, moderate exercise, quality food (whole grains, veggies, fruit, plenty of water, quality proteins, good oils), reduced sodium. Now and then I treat Myself to something (cake or candy or clothes or a Jack Black w/Coke back) I'm not a fanatic, I'm a realist, I'm making a Life Time Change and some things I'm just going to have...BUT I CAN control them.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    Same as all the others - math with food/exercise...seeing as since, for me, this is a lifestyle change and not a shortcut till I get there and then eat like, well, like a typical american... I have decided that along with counting calories, I try and get in as much non-junk as possible...saying it is off limits is like a dang buzz word. So instead, if it fits in my calorie goal, then it's game. HOWEVER, I find that I am just not that attracted as I once was to the fats and sugars of fried and overly processed foods. Making exercise a non-negotiable and FUN part of my day though has really given me the "sticktoitativeness" that I lacked the BILLLIONS of other times I tried to lose weight and keep it off...aka SUCCEED at ahving a healthy life...

oops...rant over :blushing:
    2 cents.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    I do Nutrisystem because i work from home and need help with portion control. I dont do any exercise other than walking right now because it causes a huge hunger spike for me and since I am keeping my cals under 1200 I am already cranky from lack of food. Just hit 22 lbs lost though and feeling great!

Please don't take offense to this, but that is way too low and unsustainable.

Everyone is on a diet; your diet is what you eat. Some people have good diets and some people have bad diets. When you decide to make the change from bad diet to good diet, it has to be a lifestyle change, not a temporary thing. With that said, do you plan on only eating 1200 calories per day forever? If not, then the weight you lost will likely come back, plus some. Not to mention, since you are not exercising, much of your "weight loss" has likely been muscle loss. To lose fat, you should be eating a few hundred calories below maintenance and exercising (cardio + strength training).

Just my two cents.
  • laresaboyle
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses. I too am just tracking calories and trying to stay away from useless calories like soda and also doing Zumba twice a week. I was just curious what others were doing. So far I am having much success with it.
    You do stop craving bad foods after a while.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Ditto! Working for me!

Pretty much the same for me. I also try to adjust my base calories slight depending on how active I am. If I am working, I spend a lot of time at the computer, so I try to eat a few hundred less calories for the day. However, if I am awake for longer due to work (I can be awake 20-24 hours of the day sometimes) I eat a little more because I am not sleeping. I eat better calories too, and less junk.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Max OT Weight Lifting
    Running sixteen minutes, Four days a week
    Supplements
    Dieting/Cutting
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Just eating right, watching my calories and eating a limited amount a day. I also workout once, twice, or three times a day. I have a schedule.
  • skypilot68
    skypilot68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    watching calories, light exercise, and using a lot of fresh veggies, fruit, and cut down on condiments
  • Soapbox
    Soapbox Posts: 38
    Options
    I work out major muscle groups 5 days a week, abs 3 days a week and 10-30 mins of cardio depending on the day. And i lost 45 lbs. Now I am watching my calorie intake to lose the other 30.