Stitches and Nausea When Running -- Recent Development

Hi, everyone:

I recently moved overseas from the US and have been having some running problems ever since. I've been running for general fitness and pleasure for about a year now, and while I've had the occasional stitch or cramp, it's mostly been glitch-free. But ever since the move, I've been having intense side stitches and nausea about 20-30 minutes into every run. Today, I even had chest pains and tightness -- I'm relatively young and healthy, no history of asthma, anything like that, so I don't think it's anything to really worry about, but still! Has anybody else experienced running issues after moving to a different climate? It's considerably colder here than it is back home; usually in the winters, I run inside on a treadmill or track, but I can't afford to join a gym here, so I've been trying to adapt to outdoor cold weather running (which is maybe part of the problem?).

So: thoughts? Suggestions? Many thanks in advance.

Replies

• PuppyPuppy12
    PuppyPuppy12 Posts: 18 Member
    Anyone?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    My sister has asthma and her doctor told her not to run in the cold. She wheezes and gets side stitches when it's cold out. Maybe your body just needs time to adapt to the climate change. Slow it down a bit maybe.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Is the altitude different than where you lived before? That's the only thing I can think of. Or worse air quality?
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Question: Does it subside and go away if you slow down to a walk (or a very slow jog) and does it return after you've adequately warmed up?
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    You're supposed to breathe in as your right foot hits the ground, and breathe out as your left does-- so some runners do in, in, out, in, in, out, out, etc.

I didn't know this for the longest time and I would get stitches like a mother. I just thought it was because I'm fat and out of shape.

As for the nausea, not sure! It could be numerous factors. Are you well-hydrated? Asthmatic? Is it due to the stitches at all? Could potentially be a change from one climate to the other-- it affects you more than you think!
  • Without knowing where exactly you moved from and where you are now, my first thought, as another poster said, was a difference in altitude. If you think that may be the case, slow it down until you get a little more acclimated.
  • PuppyPuppy12
    Thanks for your thoughts, everyone! In response to your questions:

1) I moved from Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA, to Oxford, England. A quick Google search says that the altitude in AA is 863 ft, and the altitude in Oxford, 30 ft -- but I have no idea if those figures are accurate or reasonable. That does seem like quite a change, though.

2) I don't have asthma and very rarely got stitches in the past. But these stitches seem to appear no matter what I do -- I'm pretty good about warming up, staying hydrated, controlling my breathing as I run, etc, but they always come about 20-30 minutes into my run and even if I walk for a little while, they come roaring back 5-10 minutes later.

3) The air quality here is probably worse than it was in AA; there seems to be more traffic/congestion/public transportation. So perhaps that's a factor, too.

If anyone has additional insights or suggestions, please let me know! I really enjoy running and it has been so frustrating to be hampered like this.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Altitude in Oxford is around 200 feet. Depending on where in Oxford, of course. Doesn't sound like enough to cause a problem.
  • PuppyPuppy12
    So if it isn't altitude, perhaps it's air quality and/or the outdoor running in the cold. If that's the case, how long will it take me to adapt to these circumstances? I mean, I'm sure it's different for everyone, but some estimates would be helpful.