Help with quark!

Options
Florameg456
Florameg456 Posts: 71 Member
Just bought some quark (cheese)? At the supermarket , what do I eat it with? Does anyone have any ideas? Would be a great help as it's due to go out of date soon

Replies

• Florameg456
    Florameg456 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Helppppp hahah
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's the same stuff we've got in Germany but if it is, it's pretty versatile.

Usually, I add chopped herbs, salt and pepper to quark and eat it as a low-fat, high-protein dip. You can also add a little milk and stir it until it's creamy, add some sort of sweetener and fruit, then you've got dessert.

We also use it in our cheesecakes but they're still not very diet-friendly.
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love it with herbs and salt and a wee bit of milk (I don't use pepper like MikaMojito) and put it on potatoes ... I love it and miss it
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I have it with porridge/oatmeal. I make my porridge with water, salt and added seeds, nuts, etc. and top with almond, peanut or seed butter, a big dollop of quark and whatever else takes my fancy - honey, cinnamon, fruit, choc chips, etc.

I've also made cheat mini-cheesecakes for a treat - spread some quark on a hobnob and top with jam, sliced strawberries, etc.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've never had it, but heard it can be used similarly to cottage cheese. With cottage cheese, I either like it savory with salsa, or sweetened with fruit and hemp hearts.
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I bought some garlic quark from my local farmer's market, and it's fantastic! The main thing I do with mine is spread it on toasted bread when making a sandwich. I either use it in place of or in addition to other condiments. If you like garlic, I might suggest mincing a clove and adding it to your quark. If you let it sit for several hours, it should permeate the cheese, then you'll have a flavorful spread/dip for whatever you're eating!!

Edited for typo. Derp.
  • juttakristen3
    juttakristen3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It|s similar to Greek Yoghurt.
    For the 'Salty' taste add any kind of fresh herbs, salt.pepper etc, and it is perfect addition to baked potatoes.
    Try garlic, onions and cucumber pieces together with a steak.
    I also add quark to thick soups (instead of cream).

But Quark also tastes delicious with fruit like banana, strawberries, blueberries. A little bit of honey and (carefully) some milk, and then stir until it gets that moussy consistency. Yummie.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Here's me thinking this was going to be a quantum physics thread
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Paneer, quark, farmer's cheese, and ricotta are all pretty close to the same thing so you can pretty much use them interchangeably. I make it fairly regularly at home and use it in all sorts of ways. Toss pasta in it, throw it in a curry, spread it on bread, add it to eggs to lighten an omelet.

There can be minor differences in commercial quark, ricotta and paneer, but the homemade versions are basically made by scalding milk, adding acid (usually lemon juice or vinegar) and straining the curds from the whey.

At this link I have pictures of the cheese being made for a batch of ricotta-based gnocchi: http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/2009/07/30/return-to-gnocchi-the-continuing-search-for-pillowy-dumplings/

I no longer throw away the whey but use it to make bread, smoothies, soups, etc.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It's very nice on rice cakes with smoked salmon or with oats, berries and honey if you fancy something sweet :)
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I love it with herbs and salt and a wee bit of milk (I don't use pepper like MikaMojito) and put it on potatoes ... I love it and miss it

I make my own - it's not hard:smile::smile: :smile:
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

I make my own - it's not hard:smile::smile: :smile:

How do you make it? I had it cooked as high protein pancakes when I was staying with some Germans. I've never seen it in the States.
  • blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I came in search of sub-atomic particles! I guess being a geek just backfired ....
    On the plus side - I learnt something new ...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Love quark, I use it like yogurt or thick sour cream. Mostly I eat it with fruit or protein powder.
    Great protein source.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I came in search of sub-atomic particles! I guess being a geek just backfired ....
    On the plus side - I learnt something new ...

I was highly suspicious when my German friends offered it to me, especially when one of them referred to it as "an edible substance." But it's tasty, and great for camping.
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I eat it like cream cheese. It is my favorite with jalapeno pepper jelly.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Paneer, quark, farmer's cheese, and ricotta are all pretty close to the same thing so you can pretty much use them interchangeably.

Then quark must be very different to the German stuff. I only know paneer from Indian curries where it's cubed, a bit like tofu pieces. Over here, quark is spreadable but not as creamy as cream cheese. If you cut it into bits and stirred it into a curry, it would break up.
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    also delish: herb it up, put it on whole grain bread and slice fresh tomatoes on top ... yum