Creamy peanut butter curry with calories, macros & pics!

Options

Replies

• sammivvalters
    sammivvalters Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh -- when you say coriander, is that the dried spice, or are you talking about the leaf (which in the U.S., English-speakers call cilantro, but it's all the same plant, and I think it might possibly be one of those terms -- like aubergines and eggplant -- that need to be "translated" when it crosses the Atlantic)?
    Coriander is what you get when the cilantro plant goes to seed. So while they are the same plant, they are at different stages. My understanding, anyways. This recipe is calling for the dried spice. But why not try it with some cilantro :)

Ahh I see, I didn't know that they're considered to be different parts in the US.

I'll clear this up. In the UK, we would refer to the leaves and stalks of the plant as "coriander" and to the seeds as "coriander seeds". We don't use the word cilantro at all. I used the dried leaves, not seeds in this recipe so I guess that would be dried cilantro for you?
  • kaytyl2
    kaytyl2 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Looks good. Bump!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Thanks, eatliftdrink, for explaining. For some reason, I don't think I've seen dried coriander leaves (cilantro) sold in the U.S., at least not in my neck of the woods, just the fresh leaves and the ground and whole seeds. But since it was for a curry, I thought the leaves were more likely. Maybe I can find the dried at a Latino or Asian grocery, or just use more of the fresh.

The picture of the curry is gorgeous, BTW.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    Curlee, thanks for making the leaf/seed issue clear -- that's what I was trying to say, but I was so focused on the "language barrier" that I guess I didn't do a very good job on the botany!
  • sammivvalters
    Options
    Thanks, eatliftdrink, for explaining. For some reason, I don't think I've seen dried coriander leaves (cilantro) sold in the U.S., at least not in my neck of the woods, just the fresh leaves and the ground and whole seeds. But since it was for a curry, I thought the leaves were more likely. Maybe I can find the dried at a Latino or Asian grocery, or just use more of the fresh.

The picture of the curry is gorgeous, BTW.

No problem. :smile: I have no idea what the seeds taste like but I can bet that nothing beats the fresh herb, it's just so fragrant and lovely! I may try it with the fresh herb soon but I hardly ever buy them because I never manage to use it all before it starts drying up.
  • Charlottecornish
    Charlottecornish Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To all those people commenting on coriander, you can get coriander leaf dried instead of fresh, think it's freeze dried so tastes pretty much the same as fresh!!!! Curry looks yummy!!!! Think I will try, but add a few red chillies!!!! I am a chilli freak!!!!!:happy:
  • Charlottecornish
    Charlottecornish Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wrap the fresh stalks of coriander in damp kitchen roll in the fridge! Keeps it fresh for days!
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Bump. This looks delicious! Does the peanut butter make it taste really peanutty (it's a word, honest) or is it just there in the background? I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter but this really sounds delicious!
  • sammivvalters
    Options
    Bump. This looks delicious! Does the peanut butter make it taste really peanutty (it's a word, honest) or is it just there in the background? I'm not a huge fan of peanut butter but this really sounds delicious!

Well I really like peanut butter so ideally I'd use more but I don't to minimise the calories. :laugh: I don't think this tastes overwhelmingly nutty at all, it's just creamy and rich.
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Awesome thanks! I'll definitely try it!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, curry!
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Cheers for sharing, love! Love making Thai curries, so will be trying this one!
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    This sounds delish, thanks for sharing!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Like the sound of this!! :drinker:
  • Equina
    Equina Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump. I am going to try it with PB2 to try and reduce the calories so that I can eat some rice with it.
  • sammivvalters
    Options
    bump. I am going to try it with PB2 to try and reduce the calories so that I can eat some rice with it.

I think that's a great idea. I would definitely use that but unfortunately it's so expensive to get hold of in the UK. :cry: I do have it with rice anyway though but the more peanutty, the better in my opinion!
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Oh that sounds good
  • steffij100
    steffij100 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Bumping, as just made this tonight, and it was gorg! I am not really a fan of peanut butter, but thought I would try this as it was 'disguised' in a recipe- but I may be a convert! Some very delicious flavours, thanks again for sharing, Eatliftdrink :happy:
  • sammivvalters
    Options
    Bumping, as just made this tonight, and it was gorg! I am not really a fan of peanut butter, but thought I would try this as it was 'disguised' in a recipe- but I may be a convert! Some very delicious flavours, thanks again for sharing, Eatliftdrink :happy:

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it. :smile: