Options
2»

Replies

• lilacinfinity
    lilacinfinity Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Avoid the generic entries like "homemade ham sandwich" and "chicken dinner"
    log the bread, butter, other condiments & ham individually

log the chicken, vegetables, any oil or fat used in cooking, work out the calories in the gravy (eg if you make it yourself, weigh the flour), log it all.

So many of these entries are way understated (and you can tell they're just a guess in calories) especially when there's no serving size.
    I love roast chicken and veges and gravy, but I'm telling you, it's a pretty depressing portion size for only 500 calories!
    Same with the sandwich - if you're using a thicker slice of bread, there's probably 180 calories right there alone.

Chip shop hot chips - 100g is a small handful of chips - If this was dinner I'm guessing you had more than that
  • madasanatter
    madasanatter Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Get your heart rate up!! I'm at 1200 calories a day, but I try to eat as little carbs as possibly can. And NO salt.

I have arthritis in my right knee from dancing. However, as I slowly turned up the intensity on my treadmill, I noticed my knee didn't hurt as much as it used to. I also do a lot of stretching. The walking and slow jog did pretty much nothing for me, so now I speed walk for 5 minutes, then run for 5 more.. etc, etc. I just try to keep my heart rate up, and then the weight melted right off :)

I would love to but waiting on surgery for torn meniscus so running is definitely out for the time being.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Get your heart rate up!! I'm at 1200 calories a day, but I try to eat as little carbs as possibly can. And NO salt.

I have arthritis in my right knee from dancing. However, as I slowly turned up the intensity on my treadmill, I noticed my knee didn't hurt as much as it used to. I also do a lot of stretching. The walking and slow jog did pretty much nothing for me, so now I speed walk for 5 minutes, then run for 5 more.. etc, etc. I just try to keep my heart rate up, and then the weight melted right off :)

Bah. I messed up my knee 3 weeks ago and my activity has been walks. Not exactly gets my heart rate up. I've lost 4.5 lbs in the last month . It's just calories in < calories out. OP is either eating more than she thinks, or just hit a normal stall and the weight will start coming off soon.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

log the chicken, vegetables, any oil or fat used in cooking, work out the calories in the gravy (eg if you make it yourself, weigh the flour), log it all.

So many of these entries are way understated (and you can tell they're just a guess in calories) especially when there's no serving size.
    I love roast chicken and veges and gravy, but I'm telling you, it's a pretty depressing portion size for only 500 calories!
    Same with the sandwich - if you're using a thicker slice of bread, there's probably 180 calories right there alone.

Chip shop hot chips - 100g is a small handful of chips - If this was dinner I'm guessing you had more than that

This. I'm betting even money you're underestimating your calories by quite a bit just looking at your diary. ETA: I didn't look Dominos up, but I know the Pizza Hut equivalent of the Dominos pizza slices you entered would be closer to twice those calories because I had it for dinner last night. :)

If you cook it, log it under "my recipes" one ingredient at a time. If you make something like a sandwich or salad, put down each ingredient separately and if you eat it often, you can use the "my foods" tool to save it as a ham sandwich or salad with ranch, etc so it's in your dayabase from then on but still easy to correct something if you swap put an ingredient. If it's fast food or store bought, compare the labels or website to the database entry you're using. Look for entries with things like "from website" in the title and avoid entries where the macros and micros aren't included or are obviously wrong (like the sodium in the pizza).
  • Chickyjd
    Chickyjd Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Well... we are already buddies and for awhile now I have thought you just aren't eating enough, I know you've been mad busy with a very stressful schedule, but you have not been eating enough for quite some time now. We know that if using TDEE method its important to eat the calories allowed. And some days you have eaten only 1300 cals and burned 900 cals!! Its fine to burn that amount but you must eat your full calorie allowance for it to work... Lots of love hun xx
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options

I agree with this, add in the individual components. 200 calories for a ham sandwich is very little. Even if I go to a restaurant, I estimate a sandwich assuming 1/2 pound of lunch meat and 2 pieces of bread and add it in separately. If there was mayonnaise on the sandwich, that's 100 calories right there.

Not to pick apart your food diary, I'm just using this sandwich as an example where the calorie count could be MUCH higher than 200 calories.

This is one reason why I either stick to chain restaurants where there's lots of calorie information online or in the database, or make food myself.

I try to plan out my meals and log ahead as much as possible. You seem to eat the same thing for breakfast every day. You can copy this for the next week or so to save time. Makes logging accurately and consistently easier.

Good luck!
  • madasanatter
    madasanatter Posts: 39 Member
    Options

I agree with this, add in the individual components. 200 calories for a ham sandwich is very little. Even if I go to a restaurant, I estimate a sandwich assuming 1/2 pound of lunch meat and 2 pieces of bread and add it in separately. If there was mayonnaise on the sandwich, that's 100 calories right there.

Not to pick apart your food diary, I'm just using this sandwich as an example where the calorie count could be MUCH higher than 200 calories.

This is one reason why I either stick to chain restaurants where there's lots of calorie information online or in the database, or make food myself.

I try to plan out my meals and log ahead as much as possible. You seem to eat the same thing for breakfast every day. You can copy this for the next week or so to save time. Makes logging accurately and consistently easier.

Good luck!

I've actually just done the recipe thing for my lunch - Tesco bread roll and Tesco crumbed ham (1 slice) and it works out at 207 calories so the 200 on the database is not far out. I had done the calculation in the past. I don't like dairy products other than milk in my cup of tea.

As for the other stuff I'll try to log them individually and see how well they match. Thanks for the advice.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I've actually just done the recipe thing for my lunch - Tesco bread roll and Tesco crumbed ham (1 slice) and it works out at 207 calories so the 200 on the database is not far out. I had done the calculation in the past. I don't like dairy products other than milk in my cup of tea.

As for the other stuff I'll try to log them individually and see how well they match. Thanks for the advice.

I'm not saying everything in the database is wrong, I'm just saying you have to check and make sure the one you are using isn't wrong. There are usually multiple options for any given food and they are entered by members just like you and me. There are plenty of good entries but there are also plenty of bad ones.
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    does your screen name includes your partner's name, your kid's name, or any mention of being a parent? because if it does, this thread says THAT is your problem! Something to think about.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1117529-my-unscientific-rant-about-why-you-can-t-lose-weight
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am assuming you are eating much more than you think you are.
    You should weight all solid food and measure liquids if you want to know how much you are really eating.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    First I'd double-check your Body Media settings by using one of the TDEE calculators to see if it's at all off-whack or too sensitive to smaller movements.

Second, as others have said, it's VERY easy to eat portion sizes way beyond the MFP settings - I certainly did! A jacket potato can be 300g, chip shop chips 280g and a small portion of mash 180g, even if 100g is recorded. Cereal, pasta and rice are other common culprits.

Good luck!