How many calories?

Options
I have filled out a handful of calorie calculators, read blogs and books, and they all say for my height, weight, age, activity level (4'11", 123 lbs, 33, and working out 4-5 days) I should be consuming 1500-1700 calories. But my husband and his fitness buddies all agree I should stick with 1200-1300. Mind you they own their own gyms and are personal trainers. I'm so confused:(

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    Try 1600 for 4-6 weeks with accurate logging and see what happens. Anyone's suggestion, even those of an online calculator, are just going to be estimates for a starting point anyway. This might take some time and experimentation.

There's no harm in starting higher and adjusting down over time if need be.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? I got you at maintenance at 1800 (using Scooby, they overestimate exercise so I put you at lightly active). 1500ish to lose weight with a 15% deficit.

Ask your hubby if he and his friend have a nutrition degree, otherwise take it with a grain of salt, IMO.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? I got you at maintenance at 1800 (using Scooby, they overestimate exercise so I put you at lightly active). 1500ish to lose weight with a 15% deficit.

Ask your hubby if he and his friend have a nutrition degree, otherwise take it with a grain of salt, IMO.

All of this.

What exactly is their reason for saying you need to stay at such an insane restriction?
  • mariemosher92
    Options
    Yes, wanting to lose weight
  • mariemosher92
    Options
    My hubby doesn't but his other two friends do have a nutrition degrees. That's why I'm so confused
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I would try 1500-1700 for a few weeks and if it works stick with it, if it doesnt then lower it. Might as well start off on the higher end and once you hit a plateau you'll be able to lower you calories, as if you went straight to 1200 and hit a plateau then you would have to go lower than minmum to lose weight.