Hunger and Headaches

Options
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for some help and advice if you can spare some of your time.

A couple of friends and I are doing something like the Biggest Loser Challenge. I was going to start working to lose weight anyway but I figure this thing would be a pretty motivational cause, as there's a $350 prize at the end.

I'm working on trying to exercise more, I work and go to school and my schedule's pretty hectic so I'm trying to squeeze it in when I can. As a result my diet has also suffered, though I'm also working on improving that. I worked out three times last week for 30 minutes.

I eat a light breakfast because I can't really make myself eat a full meal. It's too early and I'm just trying to wake up. For lunch, because I work then go to school, for the time being I'm drinking the GNC Lean Protein shake. That used to hold me over till dinner but lately it hasn't. For dinner it's usually what we (my boyfriend and I) can throw together. Pretty good but not great in terms of health.

At work I walk around a little but not constantly. I have my activity level set to Lightly Active and I have hopes on losing 2 lbs a week, although I'm not really going to sweat if I make that mark or not. If I go over on the calorie count (set to 1200) by a couple hundred I try to not sweat it.

My problem now is I'm always hungry, and I'm getting a lot of headaches. I drink a lot of water (3+ liters a day) so I really think I am hungry, but I don't want to overeat. I try to have light snacks when I can but vending machine stuff ain't good for me. I have a feeling that what I'm doing isn't going to work for long. This is why I usually give up, because the changes hurt.

I think I'm changing too much too fast and my body is just throwing a hissy fit. I'm trying to change within reason. The protein shake for lunch is just a temporary solution until I can work out a good lunch solution. But even before this on my other attempts I was having trouble with hunger. It seems that in order to fit into what MFP wants, I have to starve myself.

Any thoughts, solutions, or advice? They would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Replies

• TDiaz214
    TDiaz214 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try upping your calories with little side meals on the side of your main meals, like extra fruit/nuts.

If you exercise, eat back the calories you've gained from it.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Green veggies, they are high in volume and low in calories to keep you full.
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I put together all my food the night before -- I usually have breakfast at work because I literally get up 20 minutes before I have to leave and just take enough time to do the essentials. I eat my breakfast when I get to work. I also pack snacks - either almonds, cheese sticks, berries, apple, beef jerky, etc. - and also my lunch. I eat every 2-3 hours and don't stop until an hour before bed. How are you on your calories? You don't have to starve yourself -- there are lots of meal options that are under 300 calories that will fill you up! You might find that if you eat more you'll actually LOSE more - maybe your body thinks it's in starvation mode?

Maybe take a look at some other food diaries and see what kinds of things people are eating. That may give you some ideas. And good luck with the challenge!
  • lizaloveee
    Options
    As a working student (who also rides/trains horses, plays volleyball, president of a yearly event at school, and tries to work out for 30-60 minutes Mon-Fri and is foolish enough to have friends and a boyfriend) I feel your pain! For me, making money is as important as doing well in school and living a healthy lifestyle... Unfortunately there aren't enough hours in a day to suit me.

The next time you get a spare minute, instead of enjoying it, sit down and make a meal plan. Look up easy recipes and substitute ingredients for healthy ones. Try and set aside a block of time (Sunday's work best for me) to get to the grocery store, get your healthy foods (fruits, veggies, dairy, meat, etc.), and then right away instead of putting them in the fridge, wash, dry & cut up everything. Make snack baggies and stick them in the fridge so that they're easy to grab when you're rushing out the door. If you can, make a casserole, cook it, and freeze it. The slow cooker is your best friend! Throw a stew, or just some chicken in the am and then steam veggies before you're ready to eat for dinner. Again, use the baggies because you'll already have your portions all set out :). I also really really love the Thinsations 100 cal snack packs - I can have cookies, not feel heavy & gross, but still stay within my boundaries and treat my sweet tooth.

Planning is a pain in the *kitten* but it is so worth it! Try getting a little more protein in the morning, I like to make eggs when I can since I'm not a big eater at breakfast either. That or Greek yogurt with Chia seeds and a clementine can usually keep me for 4 hours until I need a snack.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Are you actually tracking your calories on here or just guessing at what you eat? In order to be sure you need to be tracking, weighing, measuring everything. Your activity level for MFP's purposes would be sedentary and then you add your exercise as you do it.

Unless you have close to 100 lbs to lose you shouldn't be trying to lose 2 lbs a week. 1200 calories is as low as MFP will go so that tells me you're probably trying to achieve an impossible goal.
  • arae813
    arae813 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well thank you everyone for the input.

After I got done with the post I went back into my settings and changed from 2lbs a week to 1lbs. If I lose more in that time great, but honestly this is more about me losing weight and being healthy than making huge sacrifices to win a prize. I kinda realized that if I were to cut calories so deep like that I would binge them back.

I am tracking everything I eat, to the best of my ability. Sometimes I do guestimate but I think what I would ball park something then double it.

I like the meal plan idea. I will have to sit down and get going on that. Dinner is always so hectic for my boyfriend and I since we get home so late. Getting a meal plan and having everything set up will make things so much easier. I will also work to put my meals in the night before. That should help too instead to trying to put everything together the morning of. Thank you!