Stuffed Peppers?

Options
queenb39
queenb39 Posts: 54 Member
Could someone give me a recipe on how to make a healthy stuffed pepper. I have a bag of peppers but not sure of how to stuff them without a lot of calories.

Replies

• 2stepscloser
    2stepscloser Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com and search for turkey stuffed peppers. They are delicious!
  • rayonrainbows
    rayonrainbows Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    you can fill them with whatever you'd like! experiment :)

i think a lot of people use spanish rice (brown rice w/ tomato paste), chopped onion, grated carrot, sausage(?) (i use soy protein b/c vegetarian), cheese....

personally i skip the rice and go with tons of really finely chopped veggies, soy protein, and tomato paste.. ran out of gas for the stove last time i was cooking them and they were still DELICIOUS cold

the key (for me) is SPICES!

:) enjoy them
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    recipe for 4 servings:

in the pan:
    500 g ground beef
    1 white onion
    3 cloves garlic
    then add
    5 grape tomatoes
    2 carrots
    250 g mushrooms
    then add
    veg bouillon Knorr
    half pack Maggi sauce
    put all this in the bell peppers, on top a bit cheese or parmesan
    oven for like 20 min. ready and yummmmmmmmmmmm
    1serving 400 cal
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    This is a veggie one....

In a pan sauté together onion, carrot and celery,garlic and tomato purée... add to it lentils and brown rice, curry powder and spinach. Cook through and a water if it looks too dry.

Fill the bottom of the pepper with some cottage cheese then top with the lentil mix, add a little more cottage cheese and put the top of the pepper back on....pop in the oven or about 15 minutes.

Serve with yogurt and cucumber! Yummy!
  • _Bajiggity
    _Bajiggity Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    looks good, bump
  • omnomnomicon
    Options
    I like to take some quinoa, and some mixed diced peppers, diced onions, diced mushrooms, and some squash, saute them in a pan with seasonings (taco seasonings work well), and spoon the mix in the pepper. Some beans mixed in work well too. Then take 1/8 a cup of shredded cheese, sprinkle on top, and bake. You can always add the cheese later in the process if you're worried it will melt off. The squash and mushrooms are very low cal options, and give bulk with very few calories. The quinoa and beans add some protein. This is a vegetarian version, but you won't even miss the meat.

-Testimony of a woman who loves to devour rare steak.
  • Frances_C17
    Frances_C17 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I cook brown rice/quiona/couscous (whatever I have in) in some veggie stock, then add some cooked mushrooms, garlic, parsley and a little crumbled feta. Spoon the mix into the peppers and roast in the oven for 20 mins or so. If I can spare the extra calories then I'll add roasted hazelnuts or pine nuts and some sundried tomatoes. Then serve it with steamed green beans or broccoli.
  • reds_1
    reds_1 Posts: 59
    Options
    Bump
  • emAZn
    emAZn Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I cut them in half long ways and roast them for a bit then fill them with canned crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, and black olives then melt half an oz of mozzarella cheese and throw a couple slices of turkey pepperoni on top... It's a pizza stuffed pepper!
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I just put some in the oven...

Kinda made my own recipe with ground beef, quinoa, corn, red onions, preferred spices and parmesan cheese. I'll put my favorite salsa on them when they get out of the oven. Actually you can stuff peppers with ANYTHING. These are just things I had in the house. Got some great cubanelles at a farmers market on Saturday and have been dying to use them.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Made some recently with cous cous and cherry tomatoes, very nice!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    bump
  • breanazank
    Options
    I use this recipe and love it. Sometimes the ingredients change due to what's available/what I have in my fridge.. always turns out awesome!!

http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/2012/07/quinoa-stuffed-bell-peppers.html
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    For my healthy alternative I substitute ground turkey for ground beef and brown rice for white rice. The rest is the same-tomato sauce and herbs. It is great and not that much different then the traditional version.
  • SlimmingMeDown
    SlimmingMeDown Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I steam the pepper in a steamer basket above a sauce pan of boiling water.

When done I stuff the peppers with rice and beans, paprika, salt, pepper, herbs, and a little oil or butter in the mix.
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    oooh there are some awesome, tasty tasty recipes on this site. I've picked up soooo many food ideas here :)
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I use just a bit of ground turkey and a lot of Minnesota wild rice. I like it better and it ups the nutrition while knocking a lot off the calories. I also puree red peppers and tomatoes with herb d'provence, garlic, and Hungarian paprika to make the sauce that goes over it. You can also bulk of the filling with zucchini and other favorite veggies to really knock down the calories.