Dairy milk vs flax milk vs almond milk vs soy milk etc...

Options
For weight loss, and assuming I don't have no intolerances towards any of these, which is the best for weight loss?
So far, I see that fat free dairy milk - 90 cals, flax milk - 25 cals, almond milk - 40 cals and soy milk - 60 cals. -- looks like all of them have more or less the same amount of calcium

Which do you guys prefer and why ?

Replies

• michelleLynette
    michelleLynette Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I drink the 30 cal unsweetend Almond milk. I just love the flavor!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say one is any better than the other if you have no issues. I'm lactose intolerant and have a history of breast cancer in my family so I don't drink cow's milk or soy milk. My go to right now is almond milk although I like the taste of soy milk better.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    After analyzing the nutrients. I found whole milk is the best for me because it has a rounder nutrient profile then the rest, a close runner up would be fortified soy milk.
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I love skim dairy milk and I don't think I'll ever give up having a cup of it with dinner. But more often I find I like chocolate soy milk :)
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I would say dairy milk based purely on nutrients. Although I'm sure the calories in vs. calories out people would claim flax milk since it has the least amount of calories... A lot of those "milks" have a bunch of added crap in them. (Actually, I guess regular milk does too, assuming you're drinking pasteurized.) I make my own nut milks, usually almond, since i have a dairy allergy and a family history of breast cancer (and pancreatic cancer that may be linked to breast cancer) so I also avoid soy.
  • kdt8810
    kdt8810 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also love the unsweetened original almond milk. Yummy! I steer clear of soy milk (very estrogenic and can screw with your hormones) and non-organic dairy (also lots of extra hormones).
  • FrauHaas2013
    FrauHaas2013 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I drink the 30 cal unsweetend Almond milk. I just love the flavor!

Me, too - I use the vanilla-flavored one. It's very yummy. :-)

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/the-skinny-on-milk-which-type-is-right-for-you.html
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    They are pretty much identical in terms of weight loss. It just matters how you make them fit in the day. Flax milk has the fewest calories, but someone might argue that the milks with more protein or fiber would be more useful for weight loss. Assuming no intolerances, go with what will help you meet your goals (protein, fiber, calories) and prioritize those based on your diet. (I can't have much soy and don't drink dairy milk, and the rest of the milks are pretty similar in not having much protein, and I get plenty of fiber, so I prioritize the low calorie count and taste.)
  • cherries12345
    cherries12345 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Silk original almond and vanilla almond both taste great! Also blue diamond almond milk! I wouldn't recommend the unsweetened kind though tastes really thin and doesn't have much flavor
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I prefer an almond-coconut combo from Blue Diamond. It's 60 cal per cup.
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Cows milk is supposed to be the highest in protein etc but if you're looking for low cal I'd probably go with unsweetened almond milk.

I read an article on my gym's website about this the other week:

http://www.fernwoodfitness.com.au/Weight-Loss---Exercise/Recipes---Nutrition/All-Nutrition-Articles/Choosing-the-right-milk-for-you/
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened, vanilla almond / coconut milk because it tastes awesome, and it's not going to hit me up with phyto-estrogens or moo-estrogens! I have too much estrogen.

Also, the shelf life is great. I cannot finish regular milk containers before they expire. I can finish a container of almond/coconut milk within two weeks usually, once opened. Milk would go yucky in two weeks. And the unopened ones just chill out in the fridge for a month or more, no rush to use 'em.

I don't actually drink by itself though. It's a vessel for a breakfast shake, a bowl of cereal, or a splash for my oatmeal.
  • tenilleless
    tenilleless Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If I wanna drink something straight, I'll drink cow milk. But if I'm mixing it up with other things, I always used almond milk. I find it has great taste, goes well in baking, is cheaper, etc. In fact, I've pretty much stopped buying cow milk since I don't like drinking calories.

I don't like soy. :tongue: and coconut milk I've only used in baking.
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I drink dairy milk but occasionally drink chocolate soy milk <3 I tried almond milk and didn't have the taste for it :(
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    none is best for fat loss..

calorie deficit is best for fat loss..

so you can drink any of these and as long as you are under calorie gaol for day you will lose weight..

end thread/
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would say dairy milk based purely on nutrients. Although I'm sure the calories in vs. calories out people would claim flax milk since it has the least amount of calories... A lot of those "milks" have a bunch of added crap in them. (Actually, I guess regular milk does too, assuming you're drinking pasteurized.) I make my own nut milks, usually almond, since i have a dairy allergy and a family history of breast cancer (and pancreatic cancer that may be linked to breast cancer) so I also avoid soy.

Just wondering what "added crap" you think your finding in pasteurized milk? Other than some added vitamin A and D,There is nothing added to regular cow milk. Not like all the soy and Almond and Flax and Rice "milks" I will take natural cow milk any day or night over the processed other stuff
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I myself do coconut milk, less processed then the others. I have to drink Coconut milk tho because I have a lactose intolerant and can't drink ANY milk. blah! but sometimes I will switch up to almond milk because it has a thicker consistency and makes me feel like I am having real milk LOL
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options

I'm one of "those calories in vs calories out" people… Or IIFYM :ohwell:

And my suggestion would be, whichever one you prefer the taste of. Just make sure to log it and make sure it fits in your calories and macros. That's kind of what in vs out is all about :wink:
  • susieoj
    susieoj Posts: 181
    Options
    I love my 30 cal unsweetened vanilla almond milk- low cal, super low carb and none of the hormones, antibiotics and other scary things that I'm always seeing on the news ....that you get from the average bottle of skim milk, unless you buy the organic grass fed variety. Also, almond milk doesn't do anything funky to my tummy before I run ....unlike skim milk lol
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    There would be a rebellion in my brain if I somehow decided that cheese and ice cream were ok to consume but fell for the lame brained idea that cheese and ice cream was off limits for calfs but the milk was ok....... that's no way to treat a calf. :tongue: