Breastfeeding...

Options
is anyone here nursing? I read on another site that I can't consume less than 1600-1800 calories per day and not to lose more than 1-1.5 lbs per week.... I am not sure how to work this into my profile... I also read that breastfeeding burns 200-500 caloires per day.

Thanks

Replies

• leah33
    leah33 Posts: 16
    Options
    As somebody who spent four years (collectively) breastfeeding my kids, I can tell you that you are RIGHT! You need at least 2000 calories per day. The reason you shouldn't lose lots of weight rapidly (or exercise too hardcore) is because when the fat is broken up and the muscles are working, lactic acid and toxins get into your bloodstream...and your milk, and could cause the baby to reject it. Also, you burn around 500 calories not every day, but every time your milk comes down. For me, that was like every hour!!! So just get your exercise and everything else will take care of itself. You don't want anything to interfere with the breastfeeding experience! You can lose weight any time, but you will never again have this time with your baby!!!
  • Tam_383
    Options
    As somebody who spent four years (collectively) breastfeeding my kids, I can tell you that you are RIGHT! You need at least 2000 calories per day. The reason you shouldn't lose lots of weight rapidly (or exercise too hardcore) is because when the fat is broken up and the muscles are working, lactic acid and toxins get into your bloodstream...and your milk, and could cause the baby to reject it. Also, you burn around 500 calories not every day, but every time your milk comes down. For me, that was like every hour!!! So just get your exercise and everything else will take care of itself. You don't want anything to interfere with the breastfeeding experience! You can lose weight any time, but you will never again have this time with your baby!!!

thanks!

My son is 3.5 months old but I also have a 2 year old who keeps me on my toes!

I definitely don't want anything to happen to my milk supply but I also want to ditch these (20) extra pounds I am still carting around.