ENT problems when running

Options
My first thought was to post this at a runner's forum, but I figured MFP has quite a few runners, too. I might as well try here first!

I get crazy gross nose and throat problems when I run more than say, half a mile. The only time I don't remember it being too bad is in basic training, in the dry Texas heat at 5 AM when I was running 3-5 miles a day, six days a week. I cough up so much phlegm that I have to spit, wipe it on my shirt or try to swallow it and risk barfing because I can't breathe (it's happened!). My nose runs, I hack up stuff. I don't smoke and I'm in pretty good shape. I'm quite a site to see on the run part of PT tests.

I also get really bad ear pain while running, no matter the weather, which could be a separate problem; I don't really know.

Does anybody have a similar experience? I read it could be attributed to dairy, but even when I avoid it, I'm still a gross snotball. Help!

Replies

• kathystrauss1
    kathystrauss1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Maybe exercise induced asthma? I'd bring it up with your physician and see if inhalers might help.
  • viperk1
    viperk1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Definitely check with the physician. Also, what's your water intake?
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Definitely check with the physician. Also, what's your water intake?

It's not as high as it could be, probably about at 48 oz a day. That could definitely be a factor.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I used to get bad coughs whenever i overdid it, but that hasn't happened since i learned to pace myself.
    the fact that your ears are involved too, makes me think it might actually be an infection of sorts.... but maybe i am just being a hypochondriac on your behalf...

check with someone who actually knows :wink: (meaning a doctor, a real one, who will make you stick your tongue out say AAAAAAHHHHHHH :tongue:)
  • sarah456s
    sarah456s Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    How long did you try avoiding dairy for?

I think it took me 3 weeks to really clear the phlegm from my system. Now it's a daily thing - if I eat dairy one day, I'll be snotty the next, and then it'll go away. But when I was first cutting down, I had to avoid it for a long time.

But I have never been as much of a snotball as you describe. Hmm, maybe some sort of allergy thing? Best to check with your doctor, as already mentioned.