Calories in vs out? Didn't lose weight. Look at my fitbit!

Options
So I wear the hell out of my fitbit everyday and although it took a crap ton of willpower, I waited a whole week to weigh myself again. Today I weighed myself a week later and I'm the same weight. I know weight can fluctuate and blah blah, but I'm trying to calm myself down by thinking logically I HAD to have lost weight and magically in the next couple days I'm gonna whoosh off a pound.

What confused me a little was my fitbit report email I got tonight. It said calories in vs out difference was -700. What does that mean? On my weekly totals it said I burned 20,000 cals and only ate 12,000, so I should be good for a 2lb weight loss right?

mhWaa8N.jpg

Replies

• lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    So, if I am correct, for the week you had a net calorie loss of -742?
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I see it now, you were under your plan by -742 calories in which your plan was -1000 daily.

Are you exercising? not just walking?
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I see it now, you were under your plan by -742 calories in which your plan was -1000 daily.

Are you exercising? not just walking?

Oh. Does that mean I under ate by 742 calories? And besides walking, all I do is go to work. My main exercise is walking
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Oh. Does that mean I under ate by 742 calories?

That's how I read it, too, FWIW.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    It means you only ate 742 calories less than your maintenance for the week. Which is why you didn't lose any noticeable weight. Of course, that's assuming the FitBit is accurately measuring your activity which is a big if.

A lb is approximately 3500 calories, so your eating theoretically resulted in .2 lbs lost.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    It means you only ate 742 calories less than your maintenance for the week. Which is why you didn't lose any noticeable weight. Of course, that's assuming the FitBit is accurately measuring your activity which is a big if.

A lb is approximately 3500 calories, so your eating theoretically resulted in .2 lbs lost.

That's what I thought too! But then it says on the sidebar that I ate 12,000 cals and burned 19,000 which is a 7,000 calorie difference. Which is why I'm so conflicted right now. Numbers man...confusing stuff. My brain hurts
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

That's what I thought too! But then it says on the sidebar that I ate 12,000 cals and burned 19,000 which is a 7,000 calorie difference. Which is why I'm so conflicted right now. Numbers man...confusing stuff. My brain hurts

Now my brain hurts too, lol. Too much conflicting math for this chick with a theatre degree, but hopefully someone can answer you. Good luck!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

It's saying you were under goal by 742. It would have a + sign if you were over goal. For example, last week for me:

158b774.png

Edit:

I will say you might lose weight within the next week. This was my second week eating like this. Although I didn't lose weight in this week, I had lost 1.5lbs the previous week (even with a similar amount of calories consumed).
  • anetgirl
    anetgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had the same experience. According to my Body Media, I've had a deficit of 700-1200 calories for the past 10 days but I've actually gained 1 lb. Gee! Really! I'm also feeling very bloated, so I've decided to up my water from 10 glasses to 15 glasses a day. I think it will make a difference.

Drink more water!
  • candiceh3
    candiceh3 Posts: 379
    Options
    It has already subtracted the 7000 planned deficit. So you were at a loss of 7742 for the week, 742 of which were unplanned.

Are you new to dieting or on a new exercise regime? It is probably water weight.

The math works, just trust it :). Eventually you will see the difference on the scales.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    It has already subtracted the 7000 planned deficit. So you were at a loss of 7742 for the week, 742 of which were unplanned.

Are you new to dieting or on a new exercise regime? It is probably water weight.

The math works, just trust it :). Eventually you will see the difference on the scales.

This looks about right.

Just keep doing what you're doing!
  • Evasavealot1
    Evasavealot1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm new to fitbit too! But I think it matters when you weigh yourself. Try to keep it in the morning because you weigh less and weigh yourself at the same time everyday. I hope this somewhat helps if you didn't already know. Ok
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Right, you could've eaten 742 calories more and still been within your plan of having a 7000 calorie deficit at the end of the week.

Weight loss is never linear. Even if your food tracking is perfect and the Fitbit estimates your burn perfectly, you might lose nothing for 3 weeks then lose 8 lbs. the fourth. Then gain one. Then lose 3. Look up some people's weight loss line charts. They're jagged as hell.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Calories In vs Out = Total Calories Eaten This Week - Total Calories You Should Have Eaten This Week According to Stated Goal

I burned 15373 calories this week.
    I ate 11691 calories this week.
    My goal was -500 calories/day, which would have been 11873 calories (SUM(Monday:Sunday)-3500).
    I am 182 calories under goal for this week. (11691 - 11873= -182)

My Calories In Vs Out number was -182