New runner, is the pain "normal"?

Options
I've just started doing C25K. It's been hit and miss for a few weeks so I've repeated week 1 a couple of times. I usually have knee pain when jogging. It's usually towards the inside and below my kneecaps. Sometimes it only bothers me while running. Other times I will stay achey or stiff for a day or so. I am overweight, about 230. Is this pain "normal"? Does it get better with weight loss or are my mechanics wrong...I just don't want to be pushing through it and injure myself. Also, the arch in my foot at times begins to hurt really bad. Kind of a mix between sharp achey pain and burning. The only relief is to stop. Any thoughts on that? Any advice would be appreciated!

Replies

• zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    your shoes may be wrong. you need to go to a podiatrist or at least a proper running shoe store that can test your stride and recommend the correct shoes.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    C25K is a garbage introduction to running. Its not right for many overweight people, older people, and weak people.

I'd get comfortable with increased walking speeds before pounding the pavement doing intervals... It's a recipe for disaster. Not a fan. Once you can walk a couple miles at a 15-16 minute pace I'd possibly do some jogging. I suggest ellipticals or bicycles if you'd like to do intervals. You'll get a lot of the benefits while significantly reducing your chances of injury. This will also help build leg strength which will translate to your running.

Disclaimer: I dont care if you successfully did C25K. Plenty struggle badly and its by no means a universal starter program.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your shoes are not giving you great support. You need to get your foot measured and speak to a shoe store that is 100% in runner shoes. I heard Asics are suppose to be really amazing for runners and also joggers. Try them :)

Also being that heavy isn't great to pound that weight on your joints. I suggest doing a very fast walk or a very slow jog using C25k. I can comment with this and know what it can do because I came back from a very bad fracture in my right leg and when it healed up about 1 month later after being cleared by the doctor. I started pounding pavement with C25k and had to be re cast because I sprained my ankle and tibia. Pretty much doctor said no one should really run as its SUPER bad for your joints. Especially for the heavier people.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    A new runner here, too. Well, to be precise, a returning runner after a 30 year break.
    One of the things I am very cautious about is injuring my knees. I've had knee problems before and its been one of the reasons why I have not done any running in the last 30 years.
    From what you are describing - it sounds like you might have a patella that may not be tracking properly or a torn meniscus.
    It might be worthwhile making an appointment with your sports doctor and getting it checked out.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Are you able to walk 5km three times a week at a solid pace? Without pain?

If not, and you are experiencing pain from Week 1 of C2K, I would be accomplishing that first before worrying about a running program.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options
    A new runner here, too. Well, to be precise, a returning runner after a 30 year break.
    One of the things I am very cautious about is injuring my knees. I've had knee problems before and its been one of the reasons why I have not done any running in the last 30 years.
    From what you are describing - it sounds like you might have a patella that may not be tracking properly or a torn meniscus.
    It might be worthwhile making an appointment with your sports doctor and getting it checked out.

i think those injuries are worst case scenario and since its only when you run, sometimes after, id say that its alot to do with the weight your carrying. like someone above said, get used to walking the distance first, then start to walk it fast. dont rush into it if your a complete beginner
  • benol1
    Options

i think those injuries are worst case scenario and since its only when you run, sometimes after, id say that its alot to do with the weight your carrying. like someone above said, get used to walking the distance first, then start to walk it fast. dont rush into it if your a complete beginner

Thanks, but the injury didn't come from the weight I was carrying. I got the injury from doing years of Aikido - believe it or not. While the injury was from years of Aikido practice, I couldn't run as a result, perhaps not keen to run, until now.
    And yes, I have been doing lots of walking, work on an eliptical and stationary bike, and in the last few weeks - easing myself into running by using an impact-absorbing treadmill.
  • nikkiclaire123
    Options

Thanks, but the injury didn't come from the weight I was carrying. I got the injury from doing years of Aikido - believe it or not. While the injury was from years of Aikido practice, I couldn't run as a result, perhaps not keen to run, until now.
    And yes, I have been doing lots of walking, work on an eliptical and stationary bike, and in the last few weeks - easing myself into running by using an impact-absorbing treadmill.

then prehaps it is cartilage damage. definitely get that checked out before you run again.
  • benol1
    Options

then prehaps it is cartilage damage. definitely get that checked out before you run again.

I have. And that is why I am starting to run again now.
    Thank you, again.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're taking reasonable precautions, then. In that case...

I had menisucus-related pain when I started running. Felt like it was "inside", just below and a bit to the side of the knee cap. Xrays showed a slight pinching on the insides of both knee joints - ever so slight bow-leggedness, don't see it by looking at gait. I reduced the running from 3x a week to 2x a week (dropping the mid-week recovery run) and (probably most importantly) slowed down the pace. After after about 4 weeks I realized the pain was gone.

I offer that as my own experience, not as a guarantee that your pain is just an "adjustment" thing. :)
  • thatjeffsmith
    thatjeffsmith Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    C25K is a garbage introduction to running. I

I'm interesting in hearing more about this. What would you recommend instead? I tend to tell people who ask me about running to check out C25K, because it worked for me too.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I am not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV either...
    I will tell you my experience. I think C25K is an awesome program, BUT, most overweight, new runners (myself!) may not be able to start at that level. I began slowly, walking for 30 minutes, then began to increase the walking pace following the 60/90sec C25K intervals. When I could do that comfortably, I began slowly jogging the 60sec run portions. That was 2 years ago (I became very ill and quit running). I have been biking and working on the elliptical recently and have decided to start C25K again. I will repeat week one until I feel comfortable with it before moving on.

I also had similar knee pain in the very beginning. A running friend suggested that I make a conscious effort not to point my toes in while running. Apparently, I was stepping more to the outside of my foot, turning my toes in, to prevent the internal roll of my ankle caused by over pronation. A conscious effort to strike midfoot virtually eliminated my knee pain. Have someone (a trainer or running store associate) analyze your gait and see if you may have some easily managed improper mechanics.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    C25K is a garbage introduction to running. Its not right for many overweight people, older people, and weak people.

I'd get comfortable with increased walking speeds before pounding the pavement doing intervals... It's a recipe for disaster. Not a fan. Once you can walk a couple miles at a 15-16 minute pace I'd possibly do some jogging. I suggest ellipticals or bicycles if you'd like to do intervals. You'll get a lot of the benefits while significantly reducing your chances of injury. This will also help build leg strength which will translate to your running.

Disclaimer: I dont care if you successfully did C25K. Plenty struggle badly and its by no means a universal starter program.

I agree, get up to 3 miles walking 15 min miles before starting to jog
  • WannabeStressFree
    WannabeStressFree Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I started running on my own, very slowly 5 min, then increaasing by a bit.
    However 2 yrs later I developed plantaar faciitis, pretty much my calfs and hanstrings were very tight and my feet were misaligned, I have very high arches so I developed heel pain. I went to physical therapy and my therapist said many people are misaligned and weak. So weak muscles leave us more prone to injuries.
    So I managed to straighten my alignment, and was prescribed a lot of stretching and strength training from the waist down. I also found running shoes that work for me.

So, long story short, running is a good exercise, but if we're out of shape, it's not necessarily the best thing to just go all out at any cost. If you feel pain, I suggest to consult the running store for shoes and a therapist or personal trainer to advise you on strength and stretching regimen to compliment your running regimen.
    hope this helps!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

pretty sure that is what most people do, when they do c25. most sites with the plan recommend just that...
  • hcporter
    Options
    Just sharing my experience: I had some knee pain when I started running a few months ago. I went to my chiropractor, who also has a degree in sports medicine. He recommended massage therapy and a patella band when I run. The massage cleared up the pain/tension and the band has kept it away in that knee.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    C25K is a garbage introduction to running.
    What would you recommend instead?

I made some suggestions. IMO, a proper program would never have you repeating weeks. There would be a much slower progression and there would be a fitness level test to tell you where to start.

What would I recommend?

Advance slowly and don't be overzealous! That goes for lifting too.

However, this idea is constantly bombarded by people telling you to give it 110%. Its also thwarted by people trying to keep up with other people's rate of improvement.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    My advice if you're just starting out, DON'tT push through the pain. It's just a recipe for injury and could set you back months. I would get along to a physio or sports doctor asap to get things checked out. You'll soon know whether it's something to push through or whether you need to ease up for a while. I ended up with knee injuries (patella tendonitis which actually matches the description you've given) last summer because I increased distance too fast. Took 3-4 months off impact work and sports doctor told me my knees may never be 100%.

Seek professional help, it'll be money well spent
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you are interested in running, you should make sure you get properly fitted for shoes at a running store, not a general sporting good store. I can't comment on C25k because I have no experience with it. When I started running I followed a run/walk program from the Running Room. I took it very slow and I only went on to the next level when I was ready. It sounds like you just need to slow down a bit, you will have some aches starting running but most go away after time. If you are in pain, then do not run through the pain. By the way I started running at 262 lbs, it was the best thing I ever did.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I made some suggestions. IMO, a proper program would never have you repeating weeks. There would be a much slower progression and there would be a fitness level test to tell you where to start.

What would I recommend?

Advance slowly and don't be overzealous! That goes for lifting too.

However, this idea is constantly bombarded by people telling you to give it 110%. Its also thwarted by people trying to keep up with other people's rate of improvement.

i find your post puzzling, as none of this resembles the c25 i've done. are you sure you're familiar with the programme?