Elliptical is killing my knees. What exercise can I do?

Options
I started doing the elliptical 4x a week at level 1 for two weeks. Week 3 I started having knee pain probably because I bumped up the resistance to level 3-7 off an on. Week 4 and I can't exercise because my knees hurt all the time and are nearly unbearable scooting a chair forward, getting up, walking up and down stairs.

I'm 273lbs and 5'4. Do I need to lose a lot of weight before I can exercise without killing my knees? Would walking on a treadmill be better? Should I do no cardio except do arm and core weightlifting till I lose weight?

Replies

• Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    Ellipticals KILL my knees!! Anything that requires me to push down, hurts!! Stair stepper, bicycles, even the new balance machines. However, walking and running do not hurt at all. So, I use the treadmill. I change the level and speed to keep my body guessing. My friend, who also has bad knees, told me that her doctor said she should not use the treadmill. That walking on the ground/grass would be better.

I hope this helps!! :flowerforyou:
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Week 3 I started having knee pain probably because I bumped up the resistance to level 3-7 off an on. Week 4 and I can't exercise because my knees hurt

Can you see the answer^^^

slow down... take some time to recover and don't push it... you found your limit, now take a step back.
  • thatbelinda
    thatbelinda Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    One of my knees has been playing up lately. I've been walking and swimming and they're both fine. I can run a bit but it depends on the terrain.
  • retrobyte
    retrobyte Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Stationary bike is the best gym cardio machine for dodgy knees
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine ... Concentrate on using your muscles to propel yourself when using the elliptical or stationary bike, not just momentum ... Trust me, you'll notice a difference ...
  • peachcats
    Options
    Swimming is amazing for people with bad knees.
    Barring that, exercise bike.
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You probably need to take it a step back down. But to answer your question, swimming or a stationary bike. I can not do an eliptical for more than a few minutes. Even treadmills kill my knees. Anything that supports my entire body weight is a big no no. Before I re-injured my knee last year (not workout related), I was up to doing an hour on the stationary bike 5 days a week.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    try cycling or if there is a seated elliptical.
  • AJThePirate
    AJThePirate Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with the elliptical. I recommend water aerobics or other exercises in the pool such as jogging, leaping, jumping jacks. You can add water barbells for additional resistance. you can purchase them for about $20-$25 at most sport stores, my gym (24hr fitness) provided them. The water will provide extra resistance and also extra support for your joints until you achieve a lower weight. These types of exercises can burn just as many calories as those done outside the pool. I would be hot and sweating while running in the pool (which is quite an odd and amusing thing). Hope this helps and best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am 288 and 5'3 :). I have lost all my weight by walking and doing weights. I tried doing running on the treadmill as I thought it was horrible on the road, I ended up spraining my already injured leg by doing that. Doctor told me its not worth my knees or ankles to run. So she said just walk a ton of miles and use weights and my weight should melt right off. She was right! I now jog on the track ( school track is open to public) and my legs are perfectly fine and no sprains or pains. I would suggest trying some light yoga to stretch out your legs and relax your knees. Also maybe a YMCA pool? I know that I had no pains doing that because the water supports you :).
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    PS>> after you lose some weight it will be much easier. When I was 100lbs heavier I could barely do anything. My legs/back would kill me. Now I can do an hour on any machine. Hang in there,
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem with the elliptical. I recommend water aerobics or other exercises in the pool such as jogging, leaping, jumping jacks. You can add water barbells for additional resistance. you can purchase them for about $20-$25 at most sport stores, my gym (24hr fitness) provided them. The water will provide extra resistance and also extra support for your joints until you achieve a lower weight. These types of exercises can burn just as many calories as those done outside the pool. I would be hot and sweating while running in the pool (which is quite an odd and amusing thing). Hope this helps and best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:

100% this :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have a recumbent bike? You may be able to return to the elliptical trainer, after your knees recover, if you lower the resistance, and alternate elliptical sessions with other, gentler types of cardio. It's good to give your body more variety, and helps you avoid repetitive strain injuries.

P.S. Walking and water aerobics both hurt my knee when I had an injury. I swam, used the elliptical trainer at low resistance, and biked a lot. You have to try different things and see what works for you. If something hurts, try something else, or lower the intensity. It will get easier, and even doing low intensity cardio will help you get healthier.
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine - Concept 2 or WaterRower - Learn proper technique .