I am stuck

Options
I stopped smoking on the 7th of this month....finally.... Thanks to MFP I have lost 20 lbs since I joined. Now I am stuck...I try not to go over on my calories and still exercise. What is going on....is it just me being too impatient or does stopping smoking really make you gain weight...or in my case not loose anything.

Any input would be super helpful.

Replies

• clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Well done on stopping smoking - that's tough!

You have probably just hit a plateau in your weight loss, which is normal for most people. You will start to lose again. The only thing I can suggest is doing something that might kickstart it a little again - maybe change your workout for a couple of days, or change your eating routine a little bit.

The most important thing is not to undo all the great work you are doing. Think of it as changing to a healthy lifestyle rather than losing weight and keep focussed. It will start again :smile:

Cheers,
    C
  • Brat3073
    Brat3073 Posts: 160
    Options
    yes,.....yes yes yes!!! When you quit smoking, you do gain weight if youre not careful. I quit a lil over 2 years ago and i really put on the pounds. I blamed it on the taste buds! The food tasted and even smelled better! Congrats to your for quitting! I know first hand how hard it is to do! Get some gum (sugar free of course), and when you get a craving and want to munch, much on a piece of gum.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Here's how I think about it when I hit a slow point. More than likely I will still be alive and kicking six months from now, I can either:

Worst Case: Go back to my old way of life and be packing on the pounds sitting on my *kitten* all day
    Good Case: Continue to make positive health decision that increase my athleticism and heart health EVEN if I dont lose another pound
    Best Case: Continue to make positive health decision that increase my athleticism and heart health and lose some pounds in the process.

Since I dont have any control of what the pounds do, the decision to continue to live healthy with or without the loss seems like the best one. Funny thing is, It's never been the "good case". Eventually my body decides it doesnt need the extra pounds and lets them go!

Congrats on no smoking. I quit about 7 years ago and now I can hardly stand to be around them. Yes, *I* pack+ a day smoker was GLAD when all the restaurants here went smoke free!
  • dekbear
    Options
    Wow! Get you! Stopped smoking and now lost 20lbs. That's amazing - well done indeed. I gave up February 2009 but have yet to lose any weight. I am sure that you will begin to lose those pounds again. I just wanted to say congratulations for packing in the smokes.
  • Sharonbed4d
    Options
    I'm a previous smoker and went through the same thing. The fact that you are watching your calories and exercising should prevent you from gaining weight. I would add some variety to your workout routine for a few weeks and be careful to not replace cigarettes with food. I used gum and still do to fight food cravings. Being a non-smoker is worth it so don't give up!
  • goldilocks007
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking.
    When you smoke, it increases your metabolism slightly and suppresses your appitite. Thus when you stop smoking you can lose this edge on maintaining your weight. It does even out in the end, please do not start smoking again! Plateaus are common with weight loss. It is difficult to judge based on timing if you have hit a weight loss plateau or if stopping smoking has played a part in your plateau.
    My doctor has explained to me over time weight loss that lasts a lifetime will look like a steep set of steps and not nice downhill pattern. Our bodies get "scared " of the weight loss, is afraid of losing too much, and then tries to hold on to the weight. Your body needs time to adjust to a new weight and realize you can survive at the new weight, and then weight loss can start again. Patience is the most important thing when working with weight loss plateaus. Do not give in to the old ways, you will feel worse in the end, and have that much more weight to lose again. I would suggest increasing activity and or add a new exercise activity you your current routine. Also change the foods you eat slightly, but don't lower the number of suggested calories. Make sure to keep up with food diary, as I have found a common cause of my plateaus are the "BLT's" Bites, Licks and Tastes that do not get entered into a food diary.
    Good Luck and be patient. It will work itself out
  • lilyinlove
    lilyinlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all of your answers. I do not want to restart smoking so I am just going to stick with it and be patient. I will change up my workouts and my foods. See what happens.
  • luckyinlife
    luckyinlife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    You metabolism literally changes so yes, you do gain but, you are soooooo way more healthier without that garbage!
  • ActionJackson
    Options
    The quiting smoking is huge. That is an accomplishment in itself. Follow MFP and the pounds will eventually come off too.