I joined the gym! What should I bring with me? (Woman)

Options
My friend and I joined an all-women's gym this morning. :) We'll be taking aqua, spinning, and strength training classes. What do you guys suggest I should bring with me?

Replies

• SHRINKINGG1
    SHRINKINGG1 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a bag with brush, emergency monthly supplies, hair bands, water enhancer, pain killer, HRM and earbuds. Water bottle goes where I go and I put a fresh towel in the bag when I get home from a workout or the next time I head to the car. The bag lives in the car.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    water bottle, hair ties, and a towel to wipe your face
  • ashleyinthecold
    ashleyinthecold Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I bought several packages of ponytail holders and I keep them in my gym bag! I also bring HRM, a sweat towel, water, earbuds, gloves for weight lifting...geez. I don't pack very light, do I?! Oh...and my yoga mat a few days a week. :)
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    an exstra pair of gym shoes since winters comming
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Towel, lifting gloves, kick *kitten* music, water

If it's your first time doing weights, you might want to bring a print out showing proper form.

Have fun!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Flip flops for the shower if you like, because you'll have to shower before you get in the pool. Also shampoo, etc, if you plan to wash your hair after (I always did after the pool because of the chlorine and my dry hair). Bring a waterproof bag for your wet bathing suit or you'll get your whole gym bag wet :D
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bring your attitude and willpower
  • Samalamxo
    Options
    I am so JEALOUS that you've got an all women's gym near you....I would love that!

Here's what's in my gym bag:
    1. an extra small towel (usually for group classes)
    2. An arm band for my ipod
    3. Level two knee supports (I have bad knees)
    4. Some sort of protein bar/power bar for when I know I wont get to eat right after the gym or haven't eaten that day yet
    5. couple of water bottles
    6. Baby wipes (to wipe my body if I need to run errands after the gym...i don't like to use the gym showers)
    7. Face cleansing wipes
    8. Chapstick
    9. tampons (I've seen women almost leave the gym when they couldn't find a spare in their purse, so I stay stocked)
    10. I'll throw in a change of clothes if need be
    11. Extra hair ties and bobby pins
    12. bandaids and some antiseptic wipes
    13. hand sanitizer
    14. My spin sneakers (I highly suggest investing in some if you end up enjoying spin and doing it long term)

I stash all this in my gym locker and hit the floor!
  • Bellasoxie
    Bellasoxie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Keep a spare pair of sport socks handy. I've been caught out before:smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I am so JEALOUS that you've got an all women's gym near you....I would love that!

blarg- NO.WAY.

I wish I could go to an all men's gym. I greatly detest working out with 90% of the women at my gym. <shudder>

anyway- what's in my bag.

water
    music
    hip things for dancing
    my zip up since it's getting cold
    journal
    workout book
    extra pens
    Wrist straps
    barbell collars- because our gym ones suck

You really don't "need" anything to go to the gym other than music- that's pretty much the only thing next to no socks that keeps me out of the gym if I'm missing something.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

blarg- NO.WAY.

I wish I could go to an all men's gym. I greatly detest working out with 90% of the women at my gym. <shudder>

water
    music
    hip things for dancing
    journal
    workout book
    extra pens
    Wrist straps

You really don't "need" anything to go to the gym other than music- that's pretty much the only thing next to no socks that keeps me out of the gym if I'm missing something.

Mostly women is great! It means that the free weights and the squat rack are usually unoccupied....
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Iphone which is music and has the weights for my workout program Stronglifts5x5
    Hair ties, makeup, deodorant, brush, towel, work clothes so that I can get ready for work after
    flip flops if you are going to shower there! fungus is bad
    Swim suit that fits you super well (watch the boobs, the crack, tight enough not to fall off if you lunge through the water), goggles
    Work out clothes that are comfortable and make you feel bad *kitten*
    A snack or protein shake if it will be a long trip

But most important:
    Sheer bloody minded determination.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

blarg- NO.WAY.

water
    music
    hip things for dancing
    journal
    workout book
    extra pens
    Wrist straps

Mostly women is great! It means that the free weights and the squat rack are usually unoccupied....

I have been to a couple of women only gyms with my mom when I visit home and there were no squat racks to be found. There is a smith machine though. Kind of sad.
  • ellskiNZ
    ellskiNZ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The women's gym near me doesn't really have free weights, it's mostly machines and light weights, so i joined a unisex one.

I take a water bottle, a sweat towel and spray on deodorant just in case.
  • skadoosh33
    skadoosh33 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Just curious, is there an all male gym? Or is it just women who get there own?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

what squat racks? Besides I've never seen a woman walk out of one of those gyms I'd actually like to look like.
    Just curious, is there an all male gym? Or is it just women who get there own?
    probably not- someone would scream sexist and fight to get in. They don't make women's gyms like they make oh sigh for lack of a better word 'manly' gyms.

I prefer serious lifters- and if I had a black iron gym near me- I'd go to that instead. and I have to be honest- I can't stand all women stuff -there is something about it that offends my sensibilities- if my gym had one- I'd never use it. Well I probably wouldn't be a member there actually. It bothers me THAT much.