Whey protein?

Options
My wife and I are both aiming to get in better shape. We are going to start trying to do the P90X thing and have been looking into what others do to get in better shape. One thing I have noticed is a lot of people using whey protein. I am pretty confused on what whey protein is used for and have a few questions and would love some guidance.

Is whey protein meant to completely replace a meal?
I have also noticed people saying not to use it as a replacement... but a supplement. Which should I be doing?
If a supplement, should I still be using whey if I am eating lots of protein throughout the day?
Do you drink it before or after a workout?
If used as a "recovery drink" is it still meant to replace a meal?
When someone says that it is meant to replace a meal, does that mean I literally skip a meal and drink a shake instead?

I am still VERY new to all of this and would love any help that you guys can provide. Thank you in advance!

Replies

• postzak
    postzak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Sup new guy, nice seeing you here.

Whey protein is just a supplement, not a meal replacement.
    It is mainly used (by me) to compensate my protein intake if I don't reach my daily standard of 100-130 grams a day. (forget the 1.5gr-2gr/lbs rule, thats a marketing myth very well believed by everyone)

For a person that is actively engaged into sports I really recommend taking those 120 grams of protein a day to help your muscle recovery.

I personally don't like these P90X things as it costs money I don't have and I find it not necessary.
    To get in shape I recommend you to hit the gym and learn ALOT about nutrition and training, because knowledge leads the way to a succesfull transformation.

Sorry for my gramatically failed english
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Whey protein just helps you reach your protein macros for the day. You can use it to replace a meal if you'd like but its personal preference. Usually a protein shake won't fill you up and you'll get hungry soon after. Experiment and see what works for you.
  • BigCupOTea
    Options
    Use it after a good workout for muscle recovery, although I have read that there are some benefits to using it before also. Like the posters above you would use it to supplement your Protein to hit your mark for the day.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Do you know what the word supplement means? It's a serious question and isn't even trollol.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Read the section on protein setting

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

Use whey when other sources don't help you meet your objectives.
    Good luck!
  • Ratjack
    Options
    Do you know what the word supplement means? It's a serious question and isn't even trollol.

Yes I do, but I have been getting VERY confused with all the different things people say about the stuff.

So after reading through the link that was provided it seems that I need to have 1g of protein for each pound of LBM. I do not have any way of finding out my body fat percentage so I am thinking that maybe my LBM might be somewhere around 150. So then I should be aiming for 150g of protein each day.

It is strange, MFP seems to suggest a MUCH lower amount. So from what you guys are saying, I should only use the protein supplement on days that I am not able to obtain the hypothetical 150g of protein?

I truly appreciate all of your help!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    my only tip.. if you're going to indulge.. don't go for 'unflavoured' as it is VILE.
    but you can get plenty of protein from normal food sources, just plan ahead!
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    (forget the 1.5gr-2gr/lbs rule, thats a marketing myth very well believed by everyone)

That's why I stick to 1g per pound lol, that's all that's needed when natural
  • markiend
    markiend Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    my only tip.. if you're going to indulge.. don't go for 'unflavoured' as it is VILE.

While I agree that the taste isn't for everybody, buying unflavoured = more protein. Flavoured ones reduce the protein % to add the flavour

I just flavour mine myself.

Once you start logging daily , you will be able to work out how much protein you are consuming and then act accordingly. I have a shake daily for the extra 40g , am getting more exercise in and lifting ( albeit not big weights yet)

No need to go overboard
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My wife and I are both aiming to get in better shape. We are going to start trying to do the P90X thing and have been looking into what others do to get in better shape. One thing I have noticed is a lot of people using whey protein. I am pretty confused on what whey protein is used for and have a few questions and would love some guidance.

Is whey protein meant to completely replace a meal?
    I have also noticed people saying not to use it as a replacement... but a supplement. Which should I be doing?
    If a supplement, should I still be using whey if I am eating lots of protein throughout the day?
    Do you drink it before or after a workout?
    If used as a "recovery drink" is it still meant to replace a meal?
    When someone says that it is meant to replace a meal, does that mean I literally skip a meal and drink a shake instead?

I am still VERY new to all of this and would love any help that you guys can provide. Thank you in advance!

Use the whey if you find you are not hitting your protein numbers...
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Whey protein is a fast-digesting protein source, which is why many people use it after working out, as a way to "re-fuel" their muscles. Many people use it to help them hit their numbers. I drink a shake when I wake up to get a quick dose of protein after not eating for 9 hours while sleeping. I then drink another after I workout. The rest of my protein comes from food sources.

There are proteins formulated as meal replacements, but those are specifically marketed as "meal replacements" (usually higher calories, fats & carbs). There is another type of protein called Casein. It is a slower digesting protein source, many lifters take it before bed so that it digests slowly and feeds the body protein throughout the night. It's the same type of protein that is in cottage cheese. It digests slower as it forms a "lump" in the stomach and the body takes longer to digest it. This type of protein may be helpful if you're looking for it to keep you fuller longer as many "meal replacement" proteins contain a high amount of calories.

If you're new to the protein supplement game, I highly suggest researching Optimum Nutrition's brand of supplements. I personally use their Gold Standard Whey in Double Rich Chocolate as well as Cake Batter (Mocha Cappuccino isn't bad either). I also have their Chocolate casein protein. I mix my shakes with unsweetened vanilla almond milk.
    I've found the best prices on Netrition.com [GNC is a TOTAL ripoff on a lot of supplements. I'd steer clear of them unless you have a coupon, gift card, etc.]

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to send me a message! :smile:
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Is whey protein meant to completely replace a meal? - NO

I have also noticed people saying not to use it as a replacement... but a supplement. Which should I be doing? - SUPPLEMENT if you do not reach your protein macro through real food

If a supplement, should I still be using whey if I am eating lots of protein throughout the day? - Only if you do not meet your protein macro

Do you drink it before or after a workout? - After

If used as a "recovery drink" is it still meant to replace a meal? - Not a replacement

When someone says that it is meant to replace a meal, does that mean I literally skip a meal and drink a shake instead? - They probably mean that, but a protein shake by itself is not a meal replacement.

Protein just helps your muscles repair quicker after a workout. Drinking a shake is the quickest way to deliver protein to these muscles. Unless you are mixing it in with a ton of other things in order to make it a meal, it is not a meal replacement. I usually mix mine with almond milk, yogurt or water. I would starve if I used that as a meal. Although sometimes I do yogurt, fruit, spinach, milk and the powder. That would be a nice snack, but still not a meal replacement.

I like body fortress. It's inexpensive, high protein, tastes is pretty ok and it's low sugar.
  • Ratjack
    Options
    Thank you so much to all of you for the great information! I will surely be coming back to this board as we are getting started on trying to better ourselves!
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options

While I agree that the taste isn't for everybody, buying unflavoured = more protein. Flavoured ones reduce the protein % to add the flavour

No need to go overboard

I find the only way to sufficiently disguise the flavour is to add a tablespoon of cocoa powder and half a tablespoon of chocolate milkshake mix eg nesquik, add enough milk to mix. Stand for a few minutes to settle, then add just enough milk to stop it having the consistency of snail slime, hold breath and chug. The cocoa seems to stop the repeated burps tasting of the whey. It will give you a lot of gas!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

No need to go overboard

I find the only way to sufficiently disguise the flavour is to add a tablespoon of cocoa powder and half a tablespoon of chocolate milkshake mix eg nesquik, add enough milk to mix. Stand for a few minutes to settle, then add just enough milk to stop it having the consistency of snail slime, hold breath and chug. The cocoa seems to stop the repeated burps tasting of the whey. It will give you a lot of gas!

Sounds................gross? :huh: