Anyone lose weight without watching macros?

Options
I am having a tough time of it. I can`t seem to get started losing. All the focus on macros, well, I find it impossible to do everything right. That in turn stresses me out. I can exercise, I can eat mostly healthy but how much do I really need to heed the minutae.

People say you can lose weight eating just twinkies so please, tell me!

Have any of you lost weight by just keeping your calories lower than before?? Either by exercise or eating less. I need some hope, if there is any to be had.

Replies

• nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    hi yes you can i eat to my allowance or just under and exercise and don't worry about how many crabs or proteins or fats etc unless its a body bump day then ill i want after Ive done that is meat lol. and come on im honest with my self i love chocolate if i don't eat it when i fancy it then im gonna binge on it then its going to be bad.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    when I first started my macros were way out of whack. I did a little exercise but started slow since I have pretty severe asthma. I lost. As I kept going I can exercise more, and more intense, and the macros started to fall into line. Its a learning curve. Start some where, get a routine going and slowly everything else will fall into place. Some days my macros are still missed but you get to learn what a meal should look like to hit your goals.
    If trying to hit everything is stressful then cut yourself some slack. Start with a small goal like getting your water in and add from there. Its a lifestyle change and not a race. You will eventually get to where you want to be.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    macros have nothing do with weight loss, they are more for body recomp, losing body fat, maintaining lean muscle, etc...

You can lose weight and have crappy macros...you can gain weight and have perfect macros...it all boils down to being in a calorie deficit.

If you are not losing weight then you are not in a calorie deficit..

do you weigh all your food?
    do you log everything you eat?

if the answer is no, then this is why you are not losing...
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I try to sort-of get my macros right. BUT my sugars are often over because I think 2 pieces of fruit every day are a good thing. I enjoy eating fruit and I'm not going to swap them.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I am having a tough time of it. I can`t seem to get started losing. All the focus on macros, well, I find it impossible to do everything right. That in turn stresses me out. I can exercise, I can eat mostly healthy but how much do I really need to heed the minutae.

Have any of you lost weight by just keeping your calories lower than before?? Either by exercise or eating less. I need some hope, if there is any to be had.

hi grandpoobah.

For starters, I encourage you NOT to worry about macros. Macros are something you take into consideration after you've gotten good control of managing your calories and staying on the target calories (not going much over or under the calories set by MFP).

It is true. You can do weight loss by eating twinkies. Many on this site eats really crappy and still lose weight. I eat ice cream and junk food regularly and still losing weight (slowly, but I'm doing it). The key to weight loss is staying under the CALORIES. Be it via junk food or via salads only. I recommend people to mix it up for healthy body and mind. 80% good nutritious foods and 20% calories via junk foods for keeping your cravings down.

Once you gain good control of your calories you can start tweaking your calories as needed. Heres a good thread about it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Good luck on your adventures :)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I lost at least 50 lbs before I even bothered to look at them honestly.. Makes no difference.

Focusing on that stuff before you are ready just adds more 'stress' for someone just starting out. Just eat your calories and don't worry about the other stuff until you are comfortable with logging and eating less.
  • Pickledpiper
    Pickledpiper Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I do tend to watch my macros, but I certainly didn't start that way. It was waaaaay too much when first starting out. I think making healthier choices and staying within your calorie range is really all that needs to be done. I'm sure if you are doing lots of exercise than you need to make sure you have the appropriate amount of protein/carb combo, but if you are working out for a half hour a few times a week, I think as long as you eat reasonably well, you should be fine. As I am getting closer to a "normal" body weight, I have become less obsessive about macros as well. I eat (mostly) healthy foods that I cook and prepare myself, so I just don't think it's all that necessary. I am sure you will get differing opinions on this though. If you can find what works for you, then continue with it. If it stops working, tweak it a bit and see what happens. I think everything in moderation is really key. In terms of macros, I think it's good to find a balance between them, but no need to be crazy about it imo.

Good luck and don't stress,

btw, I haven't exercised since August (I had an injury and then just never got back into it), but I'm still losing just by eating well
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I look at nothing but my total calories.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Try to not worry about all of that. Just eat healthy in smaller portions.
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't look at macros, never have. I eat healthy, small portions, and within my calorie limits. I have lost 85lbs to date. Trying to meet macros and maintaining my calorie goal, would drive me crazy.
  • anlu37
    anlu37 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what a macro is. Frankly, I don't really care. What I am doing is working for me, and that's what matters. If I come to a point where what I am doing is not working anymore, I may take some time to learn about it. Until then, I will just keep going.

27508099.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    YES!!! Never pay attention to macros and my numbers prove it can be done
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    When I first lost weight (pre-pregnancy), I lost 20 pounds without looking at anything but my calories. The last 5 pounds were very hard, and once I started watching my macros, eating more protein than carbs and fats, I finally took the last pounds off.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I use the macros more as a general estimated guideline than "RULES". I'm a very black/white rule-oriented type so it has been difficult for me sometimes. However I've lost weight without adhering strictly to the macros. I track fiber & protein but hardly ever look at those. I would be disturbed if I was really low on protein especially since I eat pescetarian, but that doesn't really happen...I am always close to the goal. I know many people say don't look at sugars at ALL but when I started I was over every day by about 80g or so. I try to shoot for just barely going over, or staying under on sugar, and I truly believe that has contributed to my loss. Everyone's different! Sodium is one thing I DO watch. I never realized how much sodium is in a lot of foods, I thought I ate practically salt-free when I started because I don't cook w/ salt or add it to my food. In 7 months I may have gone over on sodium 3-4 times total, but I like being able to keep track of that. Fat I don't pay too much attention to. I am making good choices overall and when I go into the red on fat it's usually because I ate (in addition to "normal" food items) quite a bit of peanut butter, avocado, etc.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I've lost all of my weight so far (66lbs) only counting calories and exercising. My plan is that when I take my vacation for christmas I'd like to do some work on figuring out how to hit my macros. Counting calories and making the changes that you need to make are enough work when you first get started. Get yourself settled into a nice routine and then work on getting your macros right if that is important to you. Don't let yourself get overwhelmed with it all because that will set you up to fail. One thing at a time!!!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I hate to be the downer here, but I see literally no food logged. Worry about the fundamentals before you start worrying about everything else.

Start logging. The rest will fall into place.
  • HeyGoRun
    HeyGoRun Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Sticking with watchin calories! Eating enough and upping them when needed has helped these past weeks!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Never look at anything but calories.
  • mrs_kurz
    mrs_kurz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I try to sort-of get my macros right. BUT my sugars are often over because I think 2 pieces of fruit every day are a good thing. I enjoy eating fruit and I'm not going to swap them.

This. My sugar is always way over, but generally it's from fruit so I don't stress it. If i'm eating 2 pieces of fruit a day instead of a chocolate bar, i might be over sugar but my cals are down and fruit has a lot more benefits than chocolate so I don't stress it!

It ultimately comes down to calories, but I guess the macros are a good guide of the kind of proportions you should eat food in.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I really only pay attention to calories. The macros I track are fat, carbs and protein, but I don't really pay that much attention to them. The other two tracking columns, I dedicate to fiber and calcium, which are two things I personally need to keep an eye on keeping up.

So yeah... I watch calories for my weight and calcium/fiber for other health concerns.

I lost 66 pounds without paying attention to macros, and have now kept it off going on two years.