Bodymedia armband or Fitbit is it worth it?

Options
2»

Replies

• Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and it has been invaluable for making me aware of moving more. I've actually found the calorie count pretty accurate for exercise when compared to my HRM (if anything Fitbit underestimates slightly which I prefer to MFP which massively overestimates IME). I tried the Flex but didn't like the lack of stairs (as I live somewhere hilly) and found it irritating when wearing a watch as well.
  • ddpiel
    ddpiel Posts: 52
    Options
    bump
  • Ladygirl14
    Ladygirl14 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have the Bodymedia and absolutely love it. It made me more aware of how much I am moving during the day and how little actual sleep I was getting at night. I got it a week after I started and I think it has helped me lose weight along with MFP. I like that they sync to each other. 67 lobs down and 25 to go!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I got a Fitbit Zip back in August just for fun. I always thought I was pretty active at my job, running errands, up & down the stairs, chasing after people. Found out that if I'm lucky I might get 2500 steps in during 8 hours of work. Not nearly as many as I thought!

I like the Zip because it tucks in my bra so I'm not constantly be ask what it is and it keeps track of my steps which motivates me to get moving more. The calories count for general activity seems to be pretty accurate and you do have the option of entering any exercise it doesn't track manually. It only measures steps so it doesn't replace my HRM for aerobic activity or cycling. I don't care about sleep or how many stairs I've gone up so the Zip works well for me.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    So how do these actually work? You wear them all day and they track your activity right? Does it show you calories burned during exercise? I was considering getting a heart rate monitor for exercise, but one of these might encourage me to do more general activity during the day.

Yes, they track all your activity (or inactivity). I have the BodyMedia Fit, and to get real time numbers, I bought the display device (if you have the display you don't need the monthly subscription). The display device also allows you to set it to see calories burned during a workout as well as keeping a running total of all day. Very motivating.
  • sjsmith9
    sjsmith9 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been using Bodymedia armband for more than a year. I originally purchased it through the Jenny Craig program but I'm now setup independently and pay monthly (found coupon on web for discount). I still participate with the Jenny Craig program but you can not sync with MFP while on contract with JC. I have lost 16 pounds but have been almost at a stand still for a few months. My activity level fell due to some knee problems and I'm slowly trying to get that back up. I plug in and see what my activity level has been. You set your goals then each day or week you can see steps taken, the level of activity, sleep pattern, calorie intake and used if you log your food. The Bodymedia armband pairs very well with MFP. My sister has used a fitbit but lost it twice, ouch very expensive. The armband will be less likely to drop off, and I'm sure if it did you would know it almost instantly. The biggest drawback is everyone can see the armband if you are wearing short or sleeveless tops whereas you can hide the fitbit but then more apt to loose it without knowing. Hope this has been of help.:smile:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I get lots of positive comments/questions about my BodyMedia Fit armband. I don't care who knows. My husband calls it my "Borg implant". :laugh: I've been wearing it for a year and a half now, so I have a really good picture of my calorie burn. Too bad I didn't get my eating and logging consistent until the end of this June! :embarassed:
  • sjsmith9
    sjsmith9 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I get lots of positive comments/questions about my BodyMedia Fit armband. I don't care who knows. My husband calls it my "Borg implant". :laugh: I've been wearing it for a year and a half now, so I have a really good picture of my calorie burn. Too bad I didn't get my eating and logging consistent until the end of this June! :embarassed:

I wear mine proudly too but I do get lots of questions. I guess due to my age almost everyone thinks it is a heart monitor, too funny!