new to running

Options
2»

Replies

• jaysull21
    Options
    This is a good topic to bring up because I think this is something that we all kind of feel in some way. I know I felt it when I first started running , and a couple of months ago, when I was running at dawn like I had been doing I passed a couple of younger ladies that were barely awake, and a sarcastic "ya, you run, good for you." came out of one of them. I didn't really think much of it except a , "well, when you get to my age you'll see." but it still affected me.

The good news is, the majority of people will be supportive, even if they are not the exercise type themselves. When I first started my wife's friend texted her as I ran by the ice cream shack after kids' baseball game when I decided to run home rather than drive. Its the "attaboys" and "attagirls" that may keep you going.

Now .... I just bought a reflective vest with flashing red lights on it, and showed off as I ran back from kid's soccer practice the other night, and I know I got a few laughs out of people from that, but I don't want to be roadkill. I think this has been holding me back from running at night, but I just need to get over the self consciousness.

Yes, people make stop & look , maybe even comment... But it isn't anything that stays in their thoughts for more than 5 seconds, so don't let it bother you for more than that. Remember , we're in a world where everybody has a low attention span... Hey, look! A squirrel! And then we're done. :)
  • mayonie1
    mayonie1 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yes I feel like that too that's why I use treadmill, if I go outside, I go late when its starting to get a little bit dark coz I do need fresh air sometimes.
  • wilmaln
    wilmaln Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yes, people make stop & look , maybe even comment... But it isn't anything that stays in their thoughts for more than 5 seconds, so don't let it bother you for more than that. Remember , we're in a world where everybody has a low attention span... Hey, look! A squirrel! And then we're done. :)

I loved this one! And totally agree. Whereas the benefits and great feelings that come after a run... well those last much longer ;-)
  • Messier108
    Options
    All the time. Pretty much why I got a treadmill.
    There are two ways you can go about the fear:
    1. Stay inside until you feel comfortable
    2. Say **** it and go out anyway
    People may make comments but just use your judgement if you think you'll be able to handle them. If you can't, and there's no shame in that, you could try doing home cardio like jumping rope until you feel comfortable? I don't know.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I love to see people running, and I especially like to see beginners running. It's fantastic to bring new people into the sport. I could care less about how fast they are going or how much they weigh -- I just want to see people OUT THERE getting fit! Keep it up!

I time 5K races and there's nothing better than seeing a runner complete their first 5K, whether it took 25 minutes or 55 minutes; just seeing that expression on their face as they say "I did it!" is absolutely fantastic.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    So I just started running on Tuesday and it feels amazing but I run on and off I can run the whole way but I was too scared people will see me. Has anyone experience this feeling I need advice

I went for a run during the afternoon so that no one was around. Sometimes I asked my best friend to join me so that I would feel less embarassed...

Anyway, trust me, no one's going to think about you or judge you :) especially if you step in someone who's going for a run either.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I have been running for over a year now. I'm still slow. I'm still heavier than I would like. But this is something I found when I started running. I loved it (and still do). I think most of us feel like you do.

(This is a blog entry from flintland.blogspot.com)

Hey, Fat Girl.

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the
    running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy.
    You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make
    you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops
    on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so
    much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes
    at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You
    never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the
    reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is
    tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a
    brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will
    far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face
    your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this
    physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult
    decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take
    is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so
    slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were
    in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is
    stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is
    possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and
    put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that
    the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so
    inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people,
    know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so
    many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health,
    “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from
    deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are
    relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and
    you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe
    tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will
    not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a
    new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't feel self conscious about running. What are your fears? That someone will yell at you? What is it you think they'll yell? Other runners will give you a thumbs up or wave if they acknowledge you at all (sometimes they/we are in a zone and see no one). If someone yells from their car, I would certainly ignore them b/c they know nothing about you and you know nothing about them...if they are yelling something rude you can guarantee they are not more fit than you and would never have the guts to try to run....so rest assured you already beat them.

My advice? JUST DO IT!!! Your reward will be: healthier heart, healthier body (all around), lose weight, get some muscle/toning.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I started by walking over 300 pounds and gradually transition to running still in the high 200s and I looked everyone in the eye and gave them my biggest smile as I wogged (walked jogged stumbled by) and most of the time most people smiled back. The key for me was I was morbidly obese and severely hypertensive when I started and even at 275 pounds when I was starting to run I was so much healthier being able to "run" I was thrilled. I didn't really care if they laughed or not. No runner ever laughed some didn't smile back or wave but alot did so I kept it up. 2 years ago in Virginia a very hilly area on vacation in July over 90 degrees I was a wet sopping mess when I runner came by and low 5 me and then gave me a thumbs up, that alone can keep you going.
    Moving forward to now about a month ago I was running in the park and I came up alongside a young lady also wogging along and she looked at me almost fearful and I gave her my biggest smile and I said great job keep it up I was 370 pounds when I started " you got this"
    So don't project what you think people are thinking you go out and do what is good for you and enjoy yourself and those that you meet will sense your joy and those with any sense will appreciate you.
    Good Health and Good Losing
  • rayzer1
    rayzer1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sunglasses and a hat make me invisible.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    I smile and wave. When I started running at 352 lbs I'm 100% positive people were going OMG look at that fat girl running, what's her problem. I run the same route, and pass the same people day in and day out. So I've been at this since June now, and people now, honk, wave, and yell keep going your doing great. Perspective switch. I love that they see me. They motivate me to do better.
    This is great. Congrats to both of you. Smile and enjoy. This is for you.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I could tell I embarrassed a guy this week - his expression towards me spelled it all out: eyes glancing around, head turning away, face flushing, the whole nine yards.

I guess he couldn't handle the jiggling and wobbling haha. But, I took it like, hey buddy F-U, because I'm doing this for me, not you, so get over yourself. And it actually was an ok run - w4d3 of c25k - and I'm still going out there. Why not?
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Regardless of your pace:
    Fellow runners will see you and go "Right on, another runner!"
    Non-runners will see you and go "Damn I wish I could run" ....If they even register that they saw you.

It's either support or envy.
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    So I just started running on Tuesday and it feels amazing but I run on and off I can run the whole way but I was too scared people will see me. Has anyone experience this feeling I need advice

Absolutely.
    that was ayear ago. always waiting for the sun to go down to get outside running. Did not want anybody to see me running. But after a while the benefits you feel from running outpass the "fear" of people seeing you running.

Now when i am driving on the street along where i run and i see people. I am like: i want to run.
    Seriously i am pretty sure people in their cars don't even pay attention to you and if they do they probably say i wish i could run.
    On the streets maybe i was just lucky but nobody ever told me negative things on my running. Most of the time the walkers and runners wave me, smile at me or............ don't even notice i am there.

I still run (on friday or saturday) when the sun is going down but mainly for 3 reasons. 1) the air is way better (freshier) 2) less people on the pathways (walkers, bikers, runners... 3)and it FITS my schedule better.

BTW: have you consider joining a running club (if there is one close to your home). You will run with other people that mayin the same situation as you. That is why i joined a running club a year ago. Staying motivated through winter and not feeling alone in the way i am running.
    Hope it helps convince you. Running is way better than what you think people may think of you.
  • arronp76
    arronp76 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am about 133kg and I have been adding tiny runs into my walks at time this week and like the op I am so self concious that b4 starting i will look around and make sure nobody is about before slowly moving into a slow jog. The moment i get the hint of life around me i stop hoping they have not seen my wogging(like that :tongue: ).
    But after reading the comments here I am gonna start a jog when i feel like it and so be it if anyones about, and I'll stop when i reach the lamp post or bench I've set as my target not before.

Cheers everyone :drinker: :smile:
  • mustlovekale
    Options
    Just run.

You're taking control of your life. You're putting in the miles. Make them stop, look and admire! :)