Water and veggies

Options
soze
soze Posts: 604 Member
What veggies do you folks eat. I know there's Tomatoes, Carrots, celery, and green peppers. What I am looking for is variety.

Water: I have noticed that if I finish a meal and still have that lingering feeling of hunger I drink water immediately after and ta daaaa, hunger pang is gone. I've been told to drink water before eating. I just don't like that.

Replies

• MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I eat all kinds of veggies, I do my best to make sure they are organic or conventionally grown.

My favorites are:

green beans
    broccoli
    baby spinach
    celery
    baby carrots
    persian cucumbers
    zucchini squash
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    i like the cherry or grape tomatoes--either yellow or red, the baby cucumbers, celery sticks (already done for you) and zucchini and yellow crookneck squash. You can also try some of the veggie platters that also offer presliced jicama for a change of pace too. try new things and avoid the starchier varieties like potatoes.
  • Memah
    Memah Posts: 129
    Options
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    carrots
    tomatoes
    squash
    potato
    sweet potato
    alfalfa sprouts
    string beans
    sugar snap peas
    zucchini
    onions
    green, yellow, red peppers
    spinach and the various lettuces
    tomato juice
    V-8
    Ocean Spray Light Veggie Fruit Juice Tropical Citrus
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    celery
    green beans
    cucumbers

Water is my new best friend. Finally cut out the soda. I think I was addicted to coke. All water, all the time now!!
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I love all kinds of veggies. Squashes are big on my list right now (favourites are spaghetti squash, butternut, acorn).

Corn
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Peas
    Green Beans
    Asparagus
    Lettuce
    Tomatoes (cherry/grape are favourites)
    Zucchini
    Carrots
    Peppers (Love all 4 colours)
    Water Chestnuts
    Jicama
    Fennel
    Leeks
    Mushrooms
    Onions
    Garlic
    Parsnips
    Turnips
    Rutabaga (not a huge fan)
    Sweet Potatoes

At thanksgiving this year, my cousin's wife put steamed broccoli and cauliflower into her mashed potatoes (mashed in with). I thought it was pretty creative. Her boys don't like broccoli/cauliflower so it turns the potatoes a pretty green and you get less potatoes and more of other things.

As for water, I have a 24oz water bottle. I carry it with me everywhere and drink at all times. I typically drink 3-5 fill ups of it daily. I drink water with my dinner and tea afterwards usually... The tea signifies to my brain that the meal is over and that helps me with hunger.
  • katkat987
    katkat987 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php

This website is brilliant, it has a list of different foods, and tells you lots about their nutritional value, health benefits, preperation ideas and uses well documented reliable research into the foods listed.

This website is AMAZING and always assists me with my shopping list =)
  • iDreamNEON
    Options
    Hmm I Like Alot Of Veggies

Kale [Just Recently Tried]
    All Varieties Of Lettuce
    Cabbage
    Collards
    Mustard Greens
    Spinach
    Carrots
    Celery
    Corn
    Squash
    Cucumbers
    Peppers [Including Bell Peppers Through Jalapenos]
    Mushrooms
    Tomatoes [I Only Like Big Red Ones For Some Reason. I Cut Them Up To Fit Whatever Purpose]
    Onions make anything take great
    Broccoli
    Sweet Potatoes [Looooove Sweet Potato Fries]
    Zucchini
    Peas
    Green Beans

If only I had time to cook like I did before school started. That's when I got to experiment the most with veggies.
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    Honestly, brussel sprouts are my favorite! I love asparagus, also. When my husband and I grill out we throw some veggies on the grill too. We have a skillet for the grill and usually cook onions, green peppers, squash and zuchinni with a little seasoning. It's yummy! Check out spaghetti squash, it's a vegetable but can be used in place of pasta.
  • stephensrp4100
    Options
    Big fan of green beans, spinach (I use spinach leaves for salad in lieu of lettuce), broccoli florets and baby carrots (with a bit of light ranch dressing). Be careful w/ the starchy veggies, i.e. corn - lots of hidden calories there. As for the water, I like to carry a large container to work and drink it throughout the day. For some reason, it's easier for me to do that than it is to remember to have multiple smaller amounts of water throughout the day. At least, with the big container, I know I'm getting the water I need.

Just don't try to "supercharge" your weight loss by eating nothing but water and veggies... if you skimp too much on the calories, your body could go into survival mode, making it really hard to lose the weight.

As for eating dinner and still being hungry: Please don't go back for seconds! Just have a ton of veggies WITH dinner, so that way, you still get to eat your meal (and stick to the serving size!) and you'll be full. Eating slower helps with that, too.
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    I have been eating seasonally, mostly because there's a little farmer's market near my apartment. Some of the stuff
    is still overpriced, but I try to keep to the basics.

Recently I've been eating the following:
    - Kale
    - Chard
    - Eggplant
    - Zucchini
    - Cauliflower
    - Brussels Sprouts
    - Potatos (I don't know if that's a vegetable, technically.)
    - Peppers (I like the RED ones!)
    - Tomatos (End of the season, at least in the northeast.)
    - Greenbeans (End of the season, at least in the northeast.)
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    There is a year round Market near my house, so i go there and get:
    Potatoes
    Carrots
    Sweet Potatoes
    peppers (mostly green)
    onions
    lettuce
    celery
    An lately i have tried:
    Spaghetti squash
    Zucchini
    eggplant.
    I do not like tomatoes, never had. but i will use the, in salads once in awhile.

As for water, i carry a bottle with me. I buy one on Monday and usually refill it all week. I drink usually 3 refills, plus a mug full for each meal.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Zucchini is hands down my favourite vegetable.. sorry, broccoli but you just don't do it for me anymore!

I especially love it in my stir fry or pasta.. or just as a side fried up with onions and green peppers and whatever vegetables are available.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    drinking water after eating is actually really bad for your digestion. what you are doing is helping partially digested food slosh down your digestive system. i would high recommend against this. same goes for drinking with your meals.
    One should drink 20-15 min before a meal or 1.5-2 hours after