weight watchers

Options
Hi
i need some help been looking at joining weight watchers. i need somthing that well help with a menu plan and help me eat much better than i am now.
is weight watchers any good. once i leave would i put all the weight back on.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Calories in/calories out. You don't need a diet plan or to pay someone to lose weight. Set up your budget here, stick to it and you'll lose plus learn how to eat along the way.

Start by logging everything you eat and then see where you can make changes. Once you put all the food down you can see what things have too many calories and you can figure out how to replace those foods or maybe just eliminate them. WW doesn't have any magic secret that will take weight off, it's just a different form of calorie restriction using a points system.
  • teresa77447
    Options
    I loved WW. I had to quit because it became to costly. When I stopped going the weight came back. The weigh ins and meeting were a really great motivation. If its in your budget I'd reccomend it. I have heard a lot of the success comes from having a good leader which I did. I miss her.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I loved WW. I had to quit because it became to costly. When I stopped going the weight came back. The weigh ins and meeting were a really great motivation. If its in your budget I'd reccomend it. I have heard a lot of the success comes from having a good leader which I did. I miss her.

And this is why WW Doesn't work...

just count calories.
  • Mac1954
    Mac1954 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca. I am a former WW member from way back, and have re-joined many times over the years. Everyone's experience is different. I last joined WW in January of this year, online. Then in May I switched to meetings. I did lose about 30 lbs. following the online. I quit altogether in September as I was not losing and could not afford the 60.00 (Canada) every month to simply maintain my weight. Here are the Pro's (my opinion) of WW:

- focus on logging food, which helps you be aware of what you are eating
    -focus on eating balanced (healthy) meals
    -focus on strategies to keep within food plan, i.e. dealing with emotions, eating out, family celebrations etc.
    -group support at meetings
    -accountability with weekly weigh ins

Here are some Con's (again, from my experience):
    - after joining and re-joining many times over the years, I have concluded that unless I deal with my bottom line issues, i.e. sugar/refined carb "sensetivity" (addiction, or whatever you want to call it) I will not lose and keep weight off
    - I found that I never really felt "fed" on the WW plan. That is, I had to scheme and manipulate my points constantly to make them last the whole day. That meant I was eating things like fat free cheese slices and artificially flavoured/sweetened foods, which I had formerly eschewed as I knew they were bad for my health. I was eating all kinds of "empty" calories, and processed foods, but felt like my body was not being nourished.
    -WW is, and nothing wrong with this, a money-making corporation. They keep re-inventing the wheel, and we (I) seem to keep buying into it, i.e. "this time I will make it work". But with all the information that is out there about good, healthy eating, we shouldn't have to pay to step on a scale, or learn to eat right. This site (My Pal) is FREE. I am so glad I found it. It keeps track of what I eat , and the exercise that I do, but the burden of responsibility is on ME to take charge of what of put in my mouth, and how often I exercise. There is no magic bullet. It is all hard work. My Pal or WW won't do it for me, but with My Pal, I am not paying out big bucks every month to support a corporation. I have no illusions about what my weaknesses are, and it is up to me to deal with them. No program out there will do that for you.

My recommendation is that you stick with MY Pal, use these message boards for support, and don't be too hard on yourself. It is a one day at a time, one step at a time journey. God bless you!
  • stratcat45
    stratcat45 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers works as long as you do the plan. If you lose the weight, quit and then not continue with the plan on your own, yes the weight will come back. If you continue to do the plan on your own, you can maintain.

Weight Watchers does not fail - people do!! If you use MFP faithfully and track honestly, you'll lose; if after you lose, you stop using MFP and go back to bad habits - you'll gain it back.

None of the plans fail, the people fail and like to blame the plans. WW may work for some; may not for others. Everyone has to find what works for them to have lifelong results.

I do Weight Watchers and never feel starved, and never have to manipulate points, nor eat processed foods. I just start with the Good Health Guidelines and build my menus around that. I eat healthier now than I ever did!
  • Linscee79
    Options
    I did WW and in less than 2 months lost 16lbs. Soon after I stopped attending the meetings and put it back on, falling back into my old habits. My mother has lost a total of 40lbs. She doesn't attend meetings anymore either but has continued to track and monitor her foods daily according to WW points and has kept it off well over a year.

I liked going, being held accountable to my weekly weighins but figured I learned enough and could be successful on my own. Wrong!

You have to know yourself and if you find you havent been succesful on your own (tracking etc) you will likely benefit from weekly weigh-ins/support etc... but if you leave you may fall back into your unsuccessful habits.
  • TimeWarp9
    Options
    I did WW and hit my goal and made lifetime 10 1/2 yrs ago after losing 75lbs. I have always had issues with my weight ever since I was a little girl, but in these 10 yrs I have maintained my loss. If I notice the weight starting to creep back on, I have the tools (learned at WW) to take control and make sure that I am never in the position to have to lose 75lbs again. Right now, I am about 10-12lbs more than I would like to be, but that is why I am here - getting it back under control.

WW is a very good program that teaches healthy guidelines and making choices. I think I learned more from WW than I would have from MFP (if it had been around then...), but that is difficult to say.

OP, with any program, you take away what you put into it. Learn what you can about what your body needs nutritionally; give it what it needs; and don't eat more than it can burn.
  • oc1timoco
    oc1timoco Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    What SezxyStef says.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I used WW to lose all of my weight during the year of 2011. I have maintained it beautifully since making goal in December of that year - I even managed to drop a few more while increasing my maintenance intake.

For me, WW is for life - there's no going off of it, unless I plan to gain it back. I am simply eating more in maintenance than while I was losing weight. There's no difference though in the way I approach the plan - I just get more food.

I like tracking points instead of calories - it's a personal preference. I also like the free fruit, and keeps things simple.

WW also gives you a weekly allotment which helps for birthdays, parties, eating out, etc, in case you go over your daily.

I tried switching over to the MFP tracker, but I honestly like counting points more. The subsciption is only $18 per month for Online, so it's not a big deal.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options

just count calories.

If somebody loses weight on MFP, then stops logging and going back to old habits, they will also fail.

Both plans are great and are very similar - you get out of it what you put into it.

I like what somebody else in this thread said as well - plans don't fail; people do. Follow either plan and you will lose weight.
  • ecmont032
    ecmont032 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers in 2007/early 2008 after having my first child and I lost 50lbs. After having a second child weight watchers seemed expensive. In my opinion MFP is much more convenient and I love it!
  • mrswestmoreland
    mrswestmoreland Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I loved the old WW format. The new one is not for me. But in the past when i followed the plan and attended the meetings i would lose. But when i got stuck at a weight they couldnt help me figure out why so i would quit. Also, there is no set menu plan. Sometimes that can be dangerous too, because when everything is allowed you dnt know how not to eat everything. WW can becoem expensive but you are worth it. I didnt buy their food products because i wanted to lose with foods i normally would eat.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

just count calories.

If somebody loses weight on MFP, then stops logging and going back to old habits, they will also fail.

Both plans are great and are very similar - you get out of it what you put into it.

I like what somebody else in this thread said as well - plans don't fail; people do. Follow either plan and you will lose weight.

I agree but MFP doesn't cost anything...and I am speaking from personal experience as well. The Free fruit etc is fine (except fruit shouldn't be free), the points are fine (except when you translate to calories it is a vlcd), the earning points is fine...it works yes until you stop. Just like counting calories.

WW when I did it gave me 26 points at 174lbs and yes I could earn exercise points that is 1300 calories a day everyday. That's silly....I eat 1600 and have lost 3/4lb consistently every week and no extra for exercise.

I have to say tho I have a family member doing WW and me doing MFP and I am losing quicker while eating more food and a wider variety of food...I mean come on for her to have a hotdog and it fit in her points so she can eat something at supper she can have 1 fat free hot dog...no way...I am having my full fat all beef dogs.

I will never ever go back to WW ever...
  • RoadsterGirlie
    Options

just count calories.

I agree but MFP doesn't cost anything...and I am speaking from personal experience as well. The Free fruit etc is fine (except fruit shouldn't be free), the points are fine (except when you translate to calories it is a vlcd), the earning points is fine...it works yes until you stop. Just like counting calories.

WW when I did it gave me 26 points at 174lbs and yes I could earn exercise points that is 1300 calories a day everyday. That's silly....I eat 1600 and have lost 3/4lb consistently every week and no extra for exercise.

I have to say tho I have a family member doing WW and me doing MFP and I am losing quicker while eating more food and a wider variety of food...I mean come on for her to have a hotdog and it fit in her points so she can eat something at supper she can have 1 fat free hot dog...no way...I am having my full fat all beef dogs.

I will never ever go back to WW ever...

I agree 26 points would not be enough food for me - at the time I lost it, the lowest I went was 29 points. I was pretty generous to myself with the free fruit, so it came to about roughly 1400 to 1500 per day, and I didn't eat back my exercise. I lost an average of 3 to 4 lbs per week for the first three months, and an average of 2 to 3 lbs right up until goal. I was a bit concerned at first as they say the average rate of a healthy loss should be 1 to 2 lbs, but here I am three years later and have still kept it off, and the doc says I'm fine.

My diet was also atrocious prior to WW, so that could have had something to do with it. I'm glad you found something that works for you. I would love to switch to MFP if I wasn't so engrained into tracking points instead.
  • stratcat45
    stratcat45 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know how your family member is doing Weight Watchers, but I eat healthy on my plan and sometimes I can't even use all my 26 pts in a day. And I never use fat free products at all.

A lot of people have issues with the fruit...follow the good health guidelines and you'll see that WW recommends 3-5 servings of fruit and/or veggies a day. People see 0 points and have a bad habit of going overboard. My leader stresses every week not to over do the fruits.

Don't want to count points? Try the simply filling plan - it's very healthy.

WW is pricey, if you can get by with just the free sites that great, but some of us need that group support. I've tried other programs with groups and never got what I wanted out of it - I really enjoy WW; but again I believe everyone has to find what works for THEM.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I tried WW a while back. I quit when the woman leading the group suggested skipping a meal if you are going out to dinner. From what I heard, the people who lead the groups are people who have been successful with WW. I am sure they get some training but they are by no means nutritionists or health care professionals.

ETA - I have gotten more useful information on the MFP message boards than I ever did at WW, and no one here every suggested I buy any of their preservative-laden boxed "foods".
  • __Chrissy
    __Chrissy Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used WW to lose all of my weight during the year of 2011. I have maintained it beautifully since making goal in December of that year - I even managed to drop a few more while increasing my maintenance intake.

For me, WW is for life - there's no going off of it, unless I plan to gain it back. I am simply eating more in maintenance than while I was losing weight. There's no difference though in the way I approach the plan - I just get more food.

I like tracking points instead of calories - it's a personal preference. I also like the free fruit, and keeps things simple.

WW also gives you a weekly allotment which helps for birthdays, parties, eating out, etc, in case you go over your daily.

I tried switching over to the MFP tracker, but I honestly like counting points more. The subsciption is only $18 per month for Online, so it's not a big deal.

Thanks so much for the encouraging post!
    I have been on WW P+ since 9/1/13 and lost 12 lbs.
  • losingit512
    losingit512 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just started the WW plan and I have to say, I am really enjoying it. I lost 60 lbs on my own by counting calories and tried to do it again this time around and for some reason it didn't work for me. I wanted a different approach, learn something different so it is "new" per say.

MFP and WW are very similar but what I like is I don't feel like I am CONSTANTLY stressed over calories. I have been on WW for 2 weeks now and I am down 8 lbs. I do not feel starved or have to eat anything that I normally wouldn't eat.

I know a lot of people who have lost big on WW and I also know people who have lost big (me) by counting calories. It is really about what works for you and you really have to know yourself to know what does or doesn't work. For the time being, I am going the WW route. Who knows, maybe 50 lbs now, I will go back to calories.

All I know is I am losing weight, not eating fast food nearly as much as I was, getting more fruits/veggies/lean meats in, and feeling better about myself. Isn't that the most important part of this journey?
  • Zee48
    Zee48 Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Becca, Weight Watchers is a wonderful program if you really want to learn how to eat properly and lose weight. MyFitnessPal is a wonderful, free, program that allows you to log what you eat and watch your calories which doesn’t do anything for me but tell me what I’m taking in and putting out. That in and of itself is not a bad thing though.

My strongest, and best advice to you is to check with your PCP or GYN and ask questions. What is the best weight for YOU? Where does your medical team feel, with all they know about your health issues, would be a safe weight goal for you? Did you know that most family doctors & GYNs will give you meal plan ideas or direct you to safe websites to get those. I suggest you go to your doctor, have a really good talk about what you want and what they suggest for you. Start eating healthy – none of us need a ‘program’ for that, figure out what caloric intake and output (exercise) you need to lose and get started. Go to a WW meeting, you can visit once for free and talk with a leader. Don’t join until you are sure that is what you want to do. It is wasted money if we don’t adhere to the guidelines. WW isn’t a diet plan, it is a whole new lifestyle of eating, exercising, thinking about food and what we really need.

I personally loved WW meetings – yes I joined in June 2008, lost 45.8# in one year and made Lifetime July 2009. One year later, after three deaths in my immediate family, I fell off the wagon and re-gained 25# back but it was not WWs fault, it was mine. The plan did not fail me, I stumbled and fell face first into food. Now I’m back, joined WW On-line and adhere to my plan with tweaks to suit my lifestyle. No plan is perfect but WW is one of the best. If we quit going to meetings it is not WW that has failed nor is WW a bad program it is because we started eating poorly again and probably not getting in any activity/exercise.

I'm back to my goal weight with the help of God, using MFP and WW combined. Using the knowledge I gleaned from WW I applied it to my lifestyle on MFP.

I wish the best for you in this endeavor to be more healthy.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    It has been over 10 years since I did weight watchers so I know things are a little different with their rules. Some of my comments may be out dated so take it as you will.

I think weight watchers is OK if you need a support system and you have no desire to learn about your body and food on your own. Going to the group meetings, having pre-set weigh ins, etc. motivate some people so keep that in mind. They do seem to really try and educate their members on what they believe is healthy eating.

The downside is that it becomes easy to fixate on the numbers. I know for most of my time following their philosophy I would still eat crap, but stop when I hit my limit. This created a lot of starvation feelings but to their credit, I did it to myself. You know - 2 cokes and a box of oreo cookies aren't quite as filling as some chicken breasts, rice, and broccoli but they still cost the same points. If you focus on trying to learn how to eat and less on how to count points it can be fine.

The other trap to fall into is their WW treats, which really aren't much better my aforementioned oreo cookies. Since they have the points already labeled for you, you feel like they are better to eat. You don't need the WW branded food, you just need to stick with meat and veggies.

Good luck no matter what you choose!