Weight Loss Yoga Different?

Options
Hey I'm new here & just wondering if anyone else was doing weight loss yoga? I started doing 60 minutes every day with 'Yoga Zone' videos & I feel SO much better already! I'm sleeping better, less stressed & I think it's even helping me feel less fidgety with my ADHD :-)

I do wonder though why it's not listed in the exercise database? I know just 'yoga' and also 'stretching yoga' are there but nothing specifically for weight loss yoga... because of this I'm not sure if it's counting the calories I'm burning accurately. Does anyone know if there is actually a difference? Or is weight loss yoga the same as just 'yoga'? Sorry if that's a dumb question but like I said I'm new at this.

Thanks!

Replies

• girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I use the regular yoga exercise in the database when I do power yoga. I feel it is close enough. Maybe not exactly, but the best thing if you want exact burns is to get a heart rate monitor and make your own. Good luck!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Same as rzarley and I do Anusara and Power style yogas.
  • yogapoli
    Options
    Just like any form of exercise, yoga and a balanced diet can help people lose weight. So far, I haven't seen anybody market a special kind of yoga as "weight loss yoga". Based on experience, I can imagine that people who do power yoga burn somewhat more calories. Personally, I prefer Hatha yoga and the kind of yoga featured on sites such as YogaIsle.com. It's great for people who want to do yoga at home and helps people keep in shape or get into shape.
  • InnLim
    InnLim Posts: 2
    Options
    I think weight loss yoga is probably practising poses that help to burn more calories and tone specific parts of your body such as you buts and abs (those are the areas most of us want toned, right?)

www.fatlossyoga.net
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    You'll probably have to do a custom entry. Look up Ashtanga or Vinyasa Yoga in the many calculators on the web and find out how many calories it burns per minute according to your own personal stats. Simply add that to the data base. First, check to see if either form is in the database already. If not, it's very easy to add it.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I use yoga to both maintain a healthy body and a calm mind. My style of choice happens to be Ashtanga which is a very vigorous style that burns a lot of calories.You could try that for tracking if you're doing a vigorous form! Enjoy it!
  • greatmom2
    greatmom2 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss DVD I have is with Suzanne Deason. In the intro, she explains that the yoga itself does not exactly contribute to the weight loss, but it will give yourself a mind/body connection that will allow you to better choose healthier foods, etc when you have that connection, are less stressed, and want to lose weight. Just being less stressed in itself (which I have found yoga wonderful for) will help you eat less if you are normally a stress eater.
    When I do the DVD, I find I sweat, but the burn is still not a calorie burn such as if I were doing a more aerobic exercise. Sweat does not actually indicate how many calories are being burned. I enter as the normal yoga if I enter at all. Most of the time, I just don't enter it in because it isn't big enough a burn, and I don't want to think I can eat back a larger amount of calories.
    I still wouldn't give up the yoga because of the stress factor, and it can give some nice toning benefits. Just maybe add a short 30 minute cardio (walking, jogging, or running are great choices that you wouldn't have to buy extra stuff; YouTube also has excellent selections) to your daily routine as well if you are looking to burn more calories.
    Good luck on your weight loss journey!! :)
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    PS - option B - get a heart rate monitor and find out for sure!
  • rickthomson58
    Options
    I have several friends who use yoga for weight loss and swear by it. It seems to work for them, so I asked what their secret was. They replied they found a new yoga video program that concentrates on "reshaping" your body. Evidently weight loss is a prime benefit of the program. You can find info on it through www.topyogaprogram.com.