anyone else got plantar fasciitis?

Options
anyone else got plantar fasciitis?

Replies

• lauramblair
    lauramblair Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I do! It's no fun. It really only flares up when I'm doing my long runs, 8 miles or more. I wear Stability shoes and wear an orthotic insert and it really seems to keep it at bay.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I got a night splint at Walgreens that I wore to bed after getting it. That thing worked miracles. Went from barely being able to stand or walk to doing daily activity like normal in only one night. It's not 100% healed, I can still feel it on long/hard workouts, but I'd say it's about 95% better.
  • notdieting
    notdieting Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I suffered badly from it before I lost three stone. The weight loss and an orthotic insole has made the world of difference.

I also used to 'treat' it by rolling my arch over a can of chilled cola for ten minutes in the evening and making sure I stretched it off (pointing my toes up towards my shin half a dozen times) before getting up after any period of rest. This also made the world of difference.

Nowadays, I am barely aware of it unless I am on my feet for hours without rest.
  • lharrop1669
    lharrop1669 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have it too. I have been trying to find a better option. Does the night boot help?
    I have used a bottle of water, frozen, to roll my foot on. It helps.
    I noticed that it almost feels bruised on the right side, where the strap is.
    But I think that the pain is causing me to walk and run at an angle.
  • KatAdele
    KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I got some good orthotics (at the pharmacy, not a grocery store) and between that and weight loss mine is almost gone. It only flares up once in awhile now if I stand for a long period of time.
  • pattibarszcz
    Options
    yes, and when it flares up, it sucks :(
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    just diagnosed with this. how long does it take to recover? i know i know kinda stupid question since i'm sure every person is different). i run and i have another (yes i ran a 10k right after getting diagnosed) 5k race coming up and i want to compete but even with stretches it still bothers me. when you have a flare up what do you do to make it go away?
  • Annieway987
    Annieway987 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Get a night splint. I had horrible plantar fasciitis for several years. I had orthotics, I even got cortisone shots in my heel from the podiatrist (ouch!). The ONLY thing that helped was the night splint and I am still angry that the podiatrist never mentioned trying that and I had to discover it on my own.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Get a night splint. I had horrible plantar fasciitis for several years. I had orthotics, I even got cortisone shots in my heel from the podiatrist (ouch!). The ONLY thing that helped was the night splint and I am still angry that the podiatrist never mentioned trying that and I had to discover it on my own.

thanks i probably should have said i have a night splint which i have been wearing faithfully every night since getting it (so opps sorry it's been a full week not 2 weeks). Years ago i had cortisone shots in my heel and yes they SUCK! i even had to wear orthotics - all this occurred during training for a 7 day bicycle tour - ha actually my left pic is of me on the tour) but that was in 2000 and the problems went away. now i've been running for 1.5 years and well a month ago my heel started giving me problems (wearing old sneakers - i know i know but i couldn't afford to replace them) yet i still continued to race.

i'm just hoping it will go away quickly. i do the towel stretching in the am before getting out of bed and the leg stretch while i'm at work - wondering if there's anything else i should do.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    RAISES HAND
  • jessicadelarosa1
    jessicadelarosa1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had it and I would use a ball or rolling pin from the kitchen and roll my foot 3 times a day for about a week and it went away... Luckily it was only 1 foot it is still kinda stuff in the morning but nothing like it used to be try that for some relief.
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

thanks i probably should have said i have a night splint which i have been wearing faithfully every night since getting it (so opps sorry it's been a full week not 2 weeks). Years ago i had cortisone shots in my heel and yes they SUCK! i even had to wear orthotics - all this occurred during training for a 7 day bicycle tour - ha actually my left pic is of me on the tour) but that was in 2000 and the problems went away. now i've been running for 1.5 years and well a month ago my heel started giving me problems (wearing old sneakers - i know i know but i couldn't afford to replace them) yet i still continued to race.

i'm just hoping it will go away quickly. i do the towel stretching in the am before getting out of bed and the leg stretch while i'm at work - wondering if there's anything else i should do.

I wouldn't say I'm completely healed, because when I walk barefoot on tile floors or wear bad shoes or forget to do some good calf stretches after running it flares up again, but one thing that has helped me a lot is using those Super Feet inserts. They're not cheap, but they make a big difference and are a lot cheaper than custom orthotics, which I did not like at all.
  • MrsJane05
    MrsJane05 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I purchased and only wear shoe's that have a proper arch support, if the shoe is not well supported in the arch with a cushioned sole then I won't buy/wear it. The pain comes back almost straight away, same as bare feet on a hard floor for any great length of time if my arch is not supported. I just wear supporting footwear 99% of the time and NO pain at all,.
  • jkrick33
    jkrick33 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yep need to order a lacrosse ball (Amazon) or do the other option of rolling out the calf muscle down to the Achilles. Do a search for trigger point therapy on YouTube. I'm cured and don't have to deal with it any longer. You don't have to see your dentist each time we floss but we have to do some preventative things first.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    PF never gets better quickly unfortunately, can take up to 18 months. And the more you hammer it with long runs, probably the longer it will take. I got good orthotics from the podiatrist, wore the correct runners (I pronate and that was part of the problem), lost some weight and I think the most important thing is that I never went barefoot, I always had birkenstocks or shoes with my orthotics in. Feet are one of those things, you never think of them until they are killing you!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yup to all the comments. If it comes back it takes months to recover. The weight loss really helped, and if I feel any twinge at all I stretch it out (toes to the ceiling).