Weekend Binge Eating

Options
Hello everyone! I am not exactly new to MFP, but I have not posted in the forums at all. I started last year and lost about 8 pounds, and packed it all back on (and then some!) this year in the spring. My biggest problem seems to be binge eating on the weekends. I tend to take up an IDGAF attitude and just eat anything I want. Mostly pizza (oh man, I could eat it every day!), or things that are very savory and / or cheese. I am not perfect during the week, but its much much easier for me to stay on track.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ways to motivate yourself to put the pizza down, and eat something better for you? I obviously know I should make better choices, but once Im off the wagon, I have a hard time getting back on.

Thanks!

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep and alcohol intake can contribute to this issue. Running an overly-aggressive deficit target can too.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel 100%. And IDGAF attitude still crops up on me from time to time on the weekend. What has worked the best for me, is to say yes I'm going to eat pizza. I'm going to log it in beforehand of MFP. I'm going to eat that amount and put the rest away. Eat the rest Sunday.

That way I get to eat delicious pizza and its still part of my plan. Pizza can be directly responsible for your success.
  • LJGmom
    LJGmom Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel 100%. And IDGAF attitude still crops up on me from time to time on the weekend. What has worked the best for me, is to say yes I'm going to eat pizza. I'm going to log it in beforehand of MFP. I'm going to eat that amount and put the rest away. Eat the rest Sunday.

That way I get to eat delicious pizza and its still part of my plan. Pizza can be directly responsible for your success.

This ^^^

Also get a big workout in the mornings, burn extra calories so you can eat it. Plan it.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Sadly, IDGAF has got me right now. My day starts off on the right foot but by lunch IDGAF takes over. In my almost 3 year journey I think this is the worst it has ever gotten. I have always gained back control but I am having a lot of trouble this time. I got to the lowest weight I have ever been since I was a sophomore in high school and since then I have been off the grid with IDGAF. I just start gaining control and something slams be back of course. :sad:
  • donnace7
    donnace7 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same - especially on Fridays and Saturdays. I started out at 1500 calories/day. Now, in order to accommodate the weekends, I eat 1300/day for 5 days and 1800/day for 2 days. Using those high calorie days on the weekends has made all of the difference for me. Just shave off some calories during the week and use them for the weekends. Weight Watchers does/did this with the "Extra Points" built into their program.
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately. I had a great Saturday but horrible Sunday. Getting back on track today. Don't know why I do this to myself. :grumble:
  • TwinsRaGift
    TwinsRaGift Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too. While I am at work it is easy. I eat oatmeal when i get there and have something like soup or a frozen meal for lunch. I make dinner for my family when I get home. I have a set routine during the week. I don't keep from eating anything, but I HAD to make an effort to do it in moderation. When everyone else is having pizza I will fill up on salad and then have maybe one slice of pizza instead of three. Its all about ballance. Other than that I have heard of people doing a 5 on 2 off plan that might work for you. Basically you eat really stricly and only have something like 1000 calories per day (unless you exercise) for 5 days and then you don't track the other two days. I don't think it would work for me because I would be starving for 5 days and then want to binge more on my off days!
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I am not exactly new to MFP, but I have not posted in the forums at all. I started last year and lost about 8 pounds, and packed it all back on (and then some!) this year in the spring. My biggest problem seems to be binge eating on the weekends. I tend to take up an IDGAF attitude and just eat anything I want. Mostly pizza (oh man, I could eat it every day!), or things that are very savory and / or cheese. I am not perfect during the week, but its much much easier for me to stay on track.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ways to motivate yourself to put the pizza down, and eat something better for you? I obviously know I should make better choices, but once Im off the wagon, I have a hard time getting back on.

Thanks!

One of the best tools IMO for dietary motivation is to get moving. Exercising, for me is the best way to motivate yourself.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    That's how I am, too. Try giving yourself a cheat MEAL on Saturdays or Sundays so you get a little relief, but aren't going nuts for 48 hours. I also find working out helps me to not blow it all as badly. You could try having cheat days after you've successfully had a few cheat meal weekends.

And make sure you aren't depriving yourself too much during the week.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Weekends are my biggest challenge as well!! Unfortunately there's no magic fix. You just have to commit and stick to it. I try to allow myself just one day a week as a cheat day (usually Sunday)....for me this works. It keeps me motivated and eating right Monday through Saturday because I know on Sunday I can reward myself with some 'fun' foods. Basically it all comes down to will power and portion control.
  • Yiazach
    Yiazach Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    That's how I am, too. Try giving yourself a cheat MEAL on Saturdays or Sundays so you get a little relief, but aren't going nuts for 48 hours. I also find working out helps me to not blow it all as badly. You could try having cheat days after you've successfully had a few cheat meal weekends.

And make sure you aren't depriving yourself too much during the week.

What he said!
  • osucristina30
    Options
    For me, I make the decision to eat it. However, I've found that if I incorporate these "treat" foods into my diet regularly, the binge isn't an issue because the craving isn't even there. I'll make homemade bean dip, chips and salsa, or a pita pizza on whole grain pita (topped with cheese, duh :) Or even a grilled cheese. I eat ice cream and cookies. I just keep it in moderation, life is really a lot more enjoyable that way then regretting a binge :)

Good luck!
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    When Friday arrives my cravings are out of control lately!

I think, for me anyway, alot of this has contributed to the fact that I have moved up in my job (therefore I have more disposible income) and gotten a new apartment. So we were having friends over every weekend to enjoy these things. As well as Alcohol and extra treats!

So now I think my body is like, "HEY! ITS THE WEEKEND! GO NUTS!"

I definately need to get rid of the ALL OR NOTHING mentallity.

If I have give in and have a cupcake, I give up for the whole day.. and just got nuts. I need to understand that I can have a treat, and still stay on track!
  • floridachristmas
    Options
    This is totally my problem too. Even just going say 50 cals over my daily target will have me reaching for the wine and cheese! I weigh in on Thursday and actually don't want to as I'm sure I've gained this week.
  • LauraEmilyAnsell
    Options
    I used to do this.
    I would have a 'cheat' day every saturday night and eat whatever I wanted. I would feel gross on Sunday so I don't bother anymore. It's not worth it. Plus it slows your weight loss down. You're better off making a homemade wholemeal pizza with lots of veggys and protein and have your girlies over to share it with you.

Hugs x
  • lizjjam
    lizjjam Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Not feeling as guilty now! I've been so good all week but I just got off work late and had to go past the bakery and couldn't resist these chocolate covered coconut things.. just logged it and nearly cried, half my days calories gone, going to have to run it off
  • JaymeBalesFitness
    JaymeBalesFitness Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem lately, and it got me this morning with all the new pumpkin crap Dunkin Donuts has. All but 300 of the daily calories I should have gone after breakfast! wtf! Trying to get the motivation to go get a workout in to help negate it.

All I can say is, put some muscle on that body of yours. The more you have, the more you can eat and the faster your body will burn through it, so when these IDGAFs hit, as they will from time to time no matter how strong our willpower may be, at least it won't effect you as bad!
  • Rosieannaxo
    Options
    I get this feeling every Friday and Saturdays. I usually give in on Friday night, I eat clean and save up a lot of calories all day just for that one cheat meal. I obviously go over my limit but it gets rid of some guilt. On Saturdays, it's so hard. I've been controlling it well but the leftovers from the night before just tempt me! I think moderation is key. Have your pizza, just don't go reaching for that second slice. If you absolutely need that second slice, go for a run in the morning and be careful. But hey, if those two slices fit into your log, then you are goooood :)