Hypothyroidism and Whey Protein

Options
Hi.. I take Thyroxine (25mcg) for hypothyroidism. As suggested by everyone I started taking Isopure protein (0 carbs) from 6th Sep'2013. But there has been no change in my weight or inches. Infact, there is no change in my weight since past 2.5-3 months. I searched and found that most of these protein powders contain soy, peanut extracts which are not recommended for thyroid patients.

My exercise remains more or less same with 90 mins w/o 5-6days per week alternating between cardio circuit and weight training. Would like to know does the protein powder affect thyroid in any way? Is this the reason there is no change in my wt or body m/m's from past couple of months?

Also I am trying to upload the contents of protein powder picture but not sure how to do, any advice is appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Anyone??
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    i am sure that minimal amounts of soy in whey protein products shouldnt play too much of a role. Probably lower your calories or your medication needs to be titrated again.

But Whey and soy are types of protein. They are in their own groups.

Types of protein(not all)
    casein
    whey
    eggs
    soy
    hemp
    rice

but energy is still energy,

I doubt soy(in tiny doses) would cause interference with your medication, but I am not knowledgeable over pharmokinetics. There is soy in many products, so thats why I think it being in whey protein tubs should be the least of your concern
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism, and drink Whey protein and I am losing weight.
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am not sure if whey protein has a role in your weight loss. I would recommend having your thyroid levels and med doses checked. It takes longer to lose weight with hypothyroidism.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    i am sure that minimal amounts of soy in whey protein products shouldnt play too much of a role. Probably lower your calories or your medication needs to be titrated again.

But Whey and soy are types of protein. They are in their own groups.

Types of protein(not all)
    casein
    whey
    eggs
    soy
    hemp
    rice

but energy is still energy,

I doubt soy(in tiny doses) would cause interference with your medication, but I am not knowledgeable over pharmokinetics. There is soy in many products, so thats why I think it being in whey protein tubs should be the least of your concern

I am also hypo, and take Levothyroxine and Liothyronine, and have used whey protein powders as well as soy. I've never had issues w/either. These are the things to check first:

1. Your meds -- I get checked every 3-6 months, and my meds have changed three times over the last 3-4 years. It takes a while to get them just right for you (everyone is different), and they may not stay that way.

2. Your vitamins / other pill supplements -- some vitamins / supplements DO block the absorption of the thyroid meds, specifically calcium supplements. If you take your thyroid meds in the morning, take vitamins before bedtime. Always allow as much time as possible in between.

3. What you eat after you take your thyroid meds -- The meds absorb and work better when you take them without food. I usually have to wait at least a 1/2 hour before I eat breakfast after taking the meds. I take them, go to the gym, then eat when I get back.

You may be doing all these things already. If all of that is taken care of, make sure you're eating enough to sustain your workouts, and keep changing up your exercise. Lifting really helps, too. Sometimes it just takes time.
  • Shalini_15
    Shalini_15 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.. I had my thyroid checked in July n it ws normal. TSH was 3 which is in normal range. I will get myself checked again soon, but any advice on breaking the plateau??
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Either adjust your diet a little or change your exercise. When one hits long plateau's, it's hard to tell which adjustments to make. If you feel like you getting plenty of food, perhaps cut back slightly and see if a lower calorie intake helps. Of course, you could need the reverse...a little more food, especially if your workout intensity has changed.

When I need to adjust, I adjust by about 200 calories one way or the other and see how I do for 3-4 weeks. Adjust again as needed.
  • jitendra_soorada
    Options
    soy protein is considered as a goitrogen which increases the risk of hypothyroidism increasing the weight gain further. hence avoid soy proteins in your dietary supplements
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I use an unflavored ( no sugar added) organic whey protein. Traces of soy shouldn't affect you too much. Look to other factors for stall like not measuring portions or your body getting too efficient at the exercises you are doing. Sometimes we need to change things up and increase intensity or go for completely new muscle groups. Good luck
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Two of the Protein powders that I'm looking into right now are:

Tera's organic Whey

Nutiva hemp protein

I try to avoid soy as well.

Also to many Dr's 3 is considered high. Mine likes to see under 2.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hi.. I take Thyroxine (25mcg) for hypothyroidism. As suggested by everyone I started taking Isopure protein (0 carbs) from 6th Sep'2013. But there has been no change in my weight or inches. Infact, there is no change in my weight since past 2.5-3 months. I searched and found that most of these protein powders contain soy, peanut extracts which are not recommended for thyroid patients.

My exercise remains more or less same with 90 mins w/o 5-6days per week alternating between cardio circuit and weight training. Would like to know does the protein powder affect thyroid in any way? Is this the reason there is no change in my wt or body m/m's from past couple of months?

Also I am trying to upload the contents of protein powder picture but not sure how to do, any advice is appreciated. Thanks

If you are on 25 mcg of Thyroxine, you don't have much of a thyroid problem at all with the average low dose in the US being 75 mcg and in yourcase would look for other reasons why I don't lose weight.
    I am well adjusted and take over 400mcg of combined thyroid meds and have no problem with anything and even at age 66 have lost over 45 pounds since April 2013.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    bumping for future reference
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a "Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism" group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashi's (I take 88mcg Synthroid), and it took me a year to lose 20 lbs. It will be slow, but you can definitely lose. If you're not losing, you're not eating at a deficit. You're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burn. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Find reliable database entries. (There's a lot of incorrect data in there.) Weigh your food. If you're still not losing, eat back half your exercise calories.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-Sexypants

Edited to add that Synthroid should be taken w/ a full glass of water. Wait one hour before eating anything or drinking anything but water. Wait 4 hours before taking any vitamins or minerals. (They interfere w/ absorption.)

My endocrinologist told me I can eat anything I want. Have you asked yours about your protein powder?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Taking protein shake mix in and of itself does nothing but add missing protein to your diet. Because it contains calories you are still eating extra calories. It is only recommended for people who do not get in sufficient protein for their goals through food alone.

Also, Isopure is a very high quality whey isolate which contains none of the ingredients you mentioned. It is, however, produced on equipment which is shared with them so there could be trace amounts, but this will only be an issue for people with EXTREMELY SENSITIVE allergies.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid as well. I feel TSH of 3 is a bit high, close to 1 or 2 is ideal. 25 mcg also seems to be too low, I am takign 75. Check your Free T3 and Free T4 to see if they are in range as well.

If your diet is to the point and workouts are good, you will lose weight. I checked your diary and the total intake is all over the place. Look like too much cals and too much carbs including sugar. Processed carbs and sugar are the main reasons I gain weight.

Please read this and set your daily intake to TDEE - 20% and see how it goes:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,299 Member
    Options
    My experience of soy is that it upsets my system. Just another thing among many for me to avoid. Curses, most chocolate has soy lecithins in it. One square has enough to cause me problems. Relief found a Chocolate range with sunflower lecithins and its good. I have hope. YES!

Since reducing my salicylate intake my Thyroid symptoms have gone away, along with many other issues.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You may need to cut out wheat and those bagels and breads that contain wheat. Wheat contains gluten. The gluten protein molecule closely resembles that of the thyroid. A gluten sensitivity can trigger an auto-immune response, but the body cannot tell the difference between the gluten and the thyroid proteins, so it attacks both, rendering medication useless while consuming gluten. You repair with meds, your body attacks, you take more meds then down a whole wheat bagel, it attacks again. It's a vicious cycle.

Also .25 is low. I take 1.00 and that took nearly a year to figure out. I stagnated with weight before I knew about the effects of gluten on hypothyroid. In 6 months I lost 12 pounds. I cut out gluten, kept my Synthroid levels the same, and lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks and another 10 over the next month. I had been doing everything else right with exercise and caloric intake. I just had to quit eating wheat. I replaced my wheat bread with rye and pumpernickel and started reading labels like a mad woman. In the end, and I'm not recommending this for you, I had to cut out ALL processed foods. No cans, no jars, no boxes, no bags. It was the only way to eliminate all gluten without mistake until I could figure out what I could eat. I ended up becoming raw vegan, but that extreme is not necessary. I just got fed up with being overweight and took drastic measures.

Give up gluten for one week and see what happens. Remember that even white flour comes from wheat so breads and pastas, bagels and possibly even your protein powder may have gluten in it. If that turns out to be the problem, you'll know it in a week when you step on the scale.
  • kateanne27
    kateanne27 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have Hashi's too, on 175mcg synthroid. My doctor did not recommend my getting all my protein from soy, as at the time of diagnosis I was eating tofu and soy milk every day, as a vegetarian. I started eating animal products and did feel a bit better after the adjustment period, much more energy and my TSH levels became more stable. Now I eat some soy products, soy sauce is a common ingredient in restaurant and prepared food here in Honolulu, and am doing fine. Most doctors don't think being strictly no soy is necessary, moderation is key. Your protein should be fine.

About the plateau... I had to lower my expectations. I have a hard time losing weight and was very discouraged for a long time. Not I am focusing on nutrition and fitness, not a number. Its less frustrating to focus on health and accept myself at whichever size I am at, and I am able to stick with it longer without giving up from disappointment this way. That may not be necessary for you. On such a low dose your thyroid is still the primary source of thyroid hormones, which is good, if your having a plateau it may not be thyroid related.
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should take advice about medications from a doctor or a pharmacist and not a forum....:huh: why do you think certain stuff needs to be prescribed????
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should take advice about medications from a doctor or a pharmacist and not a forum....:huh: why do you think certain stuff needs to be prescribed????

Because I have a degree in being an internet doctor from the college of medicine @ the university of google, your opinion is beneath me!