Help!! Not losing

Options
Ok I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for a year and stopped losing in June so I upped my calories to 1330 and lost 1 pound.
So I went to the doctor to ask for advice and he said to go up to 1500 and so I did. Now I have gained 2 pounds back. I need advice as I do not want to have to eat 1200 calories for the rest of my life!

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating 1500 calories? Are you exercising? If so, are you eating back your exercise calories? How are you estimating your exercise burn? Are you weighing your food?

If you're not losing weight then there's a miscalculation somewhere. Either you're over/under estimating your exercise burn (if you do), or you're over/under estimating your food intake.

Also, if upping to 1500 is recent, you may need to give it more time. It could take 4-6 weeks to see change.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    First, opening your diary so we can peak would help.

Second. Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? 1500, even though told to you by a doctor, is pretty arbitrary. A friend of my mom's went to the doctor for a physical and had gained 10 pounds since last year, complained about being fat and asked for advice. Her doctor giggled and told her to join a gym. Sometimes doctors are clueless when weight loss is involved.

And Third. If you didn't give the 1500 calories at least a 4 week time window, you didn't give it enough time.
  • kingmmmy
    kingmmmy Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1500 for almost 2 weeks, I do sometimes exercise right now letting a knee heel so no exercising right now but when I do I do the 30 day shred usually 5 times a week. Just looking for advice because i get worried when the scale goes up
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Try to find foods that will satiate you (google the satiety index).

By doing so, lower cal foods will keep you fuller for longer.

Otherwise, it is time to examine all of the data......there could be a miscalculation somewhere
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    This might be a beneficial read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993576-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut

Short version: you're holding onto extra water for a while as your body adjusts. Give it more than two weeks before deciding whether or not any particular plan is working for you.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1500 should be ok. Just make sure you weigh all your food. Temporary gains are normal though so I'd just give it a few weeks and you should start losing again.
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    How long have you been eating 1500 calories? Are you exercising? If so, are you eating back your exercise calories? How are you estimating your exercise burn? Are you weighing your food?

If you're not losing weight then there's a miscalculation somewhere. Either you're over/under estimating your exercise burn (if you do), or you're over/under estimating your food intake.

Also, if upping to 1500 is recent, you may need to give it more time. It could take 4-6 weeks to see change.

THIS!!! If you've been eating too few calories for a while your body will need to reset. You may gain a little weight, but it is worth it to get your body used to eating correctly.

I had to do a 9 week reset. I gained 5 lbs, but I've lost those again and now I'm on track to lose 1 lb a week.