Praying this works!

scgonzaleznibbe
scgonzaleznibbe Posts: 2 Member
edited September 22 in Introduce Yourself
Hi-my name is Sylvia. I am 52 years old and I recently found out that my blood pressure is higher than it should be. That really scared me because I value my independence so much and I know if I get sick I won't be able to do the things I usually do. Allow I have been overweight for a few years now my weight is currently at an all time high. I moved to California almost two years ago and though the move has overall been a great decision it has also been extremely stressful. I did not find a job for a long time and then when I did it was a job I hated. I left behind many friends and family to be closer to my grandchildren which has been wonderful. But I have also found that when I feel lonely or sad about people I left behind I eat to ease the pain.
I have a much better job now that pays well and is not a long commute. I also have a boss who micromanages my office and who is difficult to work for. The work is stressful but rewarding and when I come home I am too tired to exerxise. I sit a large portion of the day so I know I a not "physically" tired but mentally exhausted. I keep hearing about the Lap Band surgery and in fact a coworker is going to ave it done so I know my insurance will cover it. But I feel that it would not be a good option for me. For one thing I guess I would feel like I somehow "cheated" to lose weight and that I would not learn good eating habits. So that has spurred me to try harder to lose weight once and for all.
This week I started walking and walked three days in a row. That is huge for me! I pray this works for me.

Replies

• Good luck, Sylvia. I know how you feel. When I moved to CA from PA in 1988 I was only in my 20's and gained weight! I am now working to lose weight too. Have you thought about yoga? I love it - so relaxing and good for you - quite a workout, too!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member
    It will work if you want it to. Sounds simple, but that's all it takes. One decision, then another, then another.

Keep reading the sticky posts on this site, join a "group" here to make new friends, log all your food, drink water, keep walking.

Good for you for making this change in your life. Welcome.:flowerforyou:
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Sylvia, read my profile or bio on here.....just click on my name and read whats on the left side of the page

. You and I have lots in common......and yes, You can do it. I did, its been interesting, but you can do it...Stay focused

I see where some of the members here are from Ca, maybe after a while, you could hook up as a friend with one of them, you know, work out or just support each other.

Im 3 years older than you, and Im now 105 lbs lighter in 8 months, 16 days......my blood pressure is now 110 / 60, and my cholesterol is about 130....so see, we can if we try........

Good luck, put me down as a friend......Lloyd
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP!! You will find so much support and Friendship here that it will amaze you. I am 52~~will be 53 next week!~~and by tracking my Food and exercising regularly I have reached my Goal Weight and changed my Life. My Blood Pressure is down to Normal, my knee pain is virtually non-existent, and I am 100 times happier and more active than I was a year and a half ago.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP!! You will find so much support and Friendship here that it will amaze you. I am 52~~will be 53 next week!~~and by tracking my Food and exercising regularly I have reached my Goal Weight and changed my Life. My Blood Pressure is down to Normal, my knee pain is virtually non-existent, and I am 100 times happier and more active than I was a year and a half ago.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Sylvia, I got your message and look forward to supporting you on your journey. Keep coming here for tips about eating and exercise

All these folks are really supportive , non judgemental and helpful... Lots of people our age looking to get off of blood pressure meds and other cholesterol stint drugs

Also, one of the reasons I want to be off of mine in Dec is because of the side effects.....Im now taking a much much milder pill, but a small number of people have been known to develope cancer. I did my research, and yea, you kinda got to watch out for these side effects of drugs that they are just now finding out about.......again, to each his own, and Im not a Dr, but I do have my "focused" goal by Christmas, and thats going to be my Christmas present......... awesome goal for me.

Keep in touch, were all rooting for you Sylvia.........................Lloyd
This discussion has been closed.