Preparing for Baby

Options
Anybody else here working on losing weight in hopes of improving chances of getting pregnant? My boyfriend and I are TTC, and I'd love to hear your success stories!

Replies

• iheartbiology
    iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    No success story yet over here, but yes that's my main reason for losing right now... Good luck!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I did lose weight before getting pregnant, not specifically to get pregnant, but because I put on a lot of weight in my 2nd pregnancy.

I have always been thinner and fit when TTC and it has never taken me long to get pregnant, if that helps!

Good luck!
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am in it to lose weight right now for my health, but my husband and I are thinking about having children. Not 100% set in stone yet as we have a TON of things we wish to accomplish before we bring a little one in this world!
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I lost 105lbs from 316 to 211 to try and get pregnant and it didn't help a single bit. My OBGYN told me that while my weight loss was amazing and great that no amount of it would have helped me, not even if I had got to my goal weight of 136. My eggs weren't maturing properly so they couldn't be fertilized. Having lost the weight did make me eligible to take Clomid though and on the second round we conceived. We're 15 weeks on Thursday. Under doctors supervision I have continued to exercise and lose weight through pregnancy and am now 197! I don't regret my previous weight loss in the slightest or regret my continued success but I do wish that I had gone to an OBGYN sooner instead of allowing the misconception that fat people can't get pregnant simply because they are fat to prevail in my mind and life. So that's my suggestion. If you are under age 35 and have tried for a year without conceiving or over 35 and have tried for 6 months, get your tush to a doctor and see what's up.
  • rhubarb_cakes
    rhubarb_cakes Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Yes - hubby and I are trying. We've only been trying since the start of September so I think its going to take a little while longer yet. I've had problems in the past whereby my weight has plummeted to below healthy, so I'm hoping I haven't messed anything up with my silliness.

Time will tell I guess.
  • lorabledsoe
    lorabledsoe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    YES! I was 280lbs and was told to lost 10% of my body weight and it might help me conceive. I lost 30lbs and got pregnant. I have birth to my son almost 11 weeks ago.

Good luck!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I want to lose weight regardless, but more than weight I want to get my body strong. First I have infertility, endometriosis, and it took 13 years before we had our miracle baby. When we started TTC I was not over weight and only 23. But I do know that to be healthy can increase your chances because when you are overweight (very high BMI) your egg quality diminishes. So since I am a lot heavier now I hope it may help to lose weight. Second, I also had SPD during pregnancy and it was so painful. I really don't ever want to go through that again. If I can lose some body fat and get stronger I hope maybe to get pregnant naturally and not have SPD. But even if we don't conceive I still want to do this.

Good luck ladies! Losing weight and getting healthy is always a good choice and can help aid in conception and in pregnancy. :-)
  • waltzingaround11
    waltzingaround11 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm losing not to get pregnant (I've had two kids while being super overweight) but I believe it will help take some of the edge off of the pain I felt during pregnancy. I was almost immobile because my hips and back hurt so bad and I am hoping that losing the weight will help with that!
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    When I wanted to get pregnant with my little guy (now 2), I spent about 6 months eating better, exercising and just getting my mind frame ready to get pregnant. It also allowed my body to re-adjust after being on the pill for 10 years. I definitely attribute that to our success in getting pregnant quickly. I felt positive because I gave myself the best chance to be healthy before the pregnancy.

Now we're about to start working for the second one. I was waiting to get an ok from my doctors (cancer treatment in the last year - info in profile), and luckily, I got that last month. But prior to that news, I've spent the last few months much like I did last time - eating as well as I can and exercising. I wasn't sure when I would get the all clear, but I figured anything I could do health wise would be a good thing. I've been doing C25K since August and will be running a 5k at the end of the month. I think I'm in better shape this time that I was last time.

So even though I got the ok last month to start to try, I told the hubby I wanted to wait until after the 5k! Talk about priorities. But I have worked really hard the last few months and I wanted to reach the goal of running in the 5k. Then it's go time!
  • TimElwis
    Options
    The dedication and care women put into having children. My hat goes off to all of you. Hoping the hubby is very supportive :)
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    We're not planning on increasing our family (3 great kids) but I can tell you that my last two pregnancies were whoopsies after I lost a significant amount of weight. My sister, who was my weight loss buddy, had the same thing happen to her. We had gone through a fertility clinic to become pregnant with our first child so I definitely think the weight loss contributed to my fertility. Lifting you in prayer for health and conception.
  • l0velife1
    l0velife1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My main goal when I started MFP was to lose in order to have a healthier pregnancy and also learn more about being healthy so I can let my child be healthy. It saddens me when I see kid's meals consisting of only kraft mac n cheese and cookies day in and day out.

Should hit my goal within the next month and we will TTC!! Excited and nervous but I think my pregnancy will be a lot easier now than it would have been 36 pounds ago.
  • spappas1989
    spappas1989 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is the exact reason I have been trying to get fit. And honestly so far it's been the best motivation and has kept me the most consistent. We aren't trying until end of next year and I have about 40 lbs to go but hopefully then I'll be at my goal weight and able to conceive easily.
  • fedupfatty86
    fedupfatty86 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    No success story over here yet but that's one of the reasons I decided to lose weight besides wanting to get healthy and look/feel better
  • tattoosandheels
    tattoosandheels Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all of the responses. I've struggled with having children in the past, but i've always been pretty overweight when I was trying. I've been told that losing weight really does help with conception. And At least if i don't conceive, I'll be a healthy weight to get prescribed clomid if needed.

Good luck to all of you!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    It happens a 45lb loss got me pregnant (lost baby), and a 60lb loss got me pregnant again. 6 months pregnant today.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I started losing weight to be able to start TTC because every doctor everywhere told me I would need help conceiving with either clomid or something similar. However, I lost about 10lbs which was about 20% of the weight I needed to lose and then I got pregnant suddenly. Now I am focusing on being as healthy as possible and gaining only the weight necessary for the baby while pregnant so I can get to a healthy weight after.
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    ME! My husband and I will be TTC in aug. 2014 and I'm here to lose some of the weight before then so I can have a perfectly round lil bump.
  • hmenuey
    hmenuey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband and I have 5 month old little boy...he is wonderful. I lost 38 pounds and got pregnant with him in 2 months. Just relax that helps the most. :)
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    this is a long term goal for hubs and i :) we aren't ready just yet but i have about 60lbs more to go anyway I'm 5'1" and still hovering at 200lbs(PIA!!) so as of this moment there's not even room for a little one. Hopefully it will happen when the time comes!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!