3 months, ZERO PROGRESS

Options

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It is confusing look up starvation mode. If you are undereating, your body thinks you are starving. Your net calories on MFP should be your goal. Example: this morning I started off with 1410 calories. OK I walked and burned 262, I had breakfast and water. My NET intake is 78 calories. I have 1332 remaining for the day. My breakfast was 320 calories but after walking, my net is only 78. If I eat my 1410 and stop, I will be under that by 262 calories. You need at least a net of 1200 per day net and when I am closer to 1300 net, it falls off. Good luck.

NO

Starvation mode is thrown around on these forums like crazy, but it's used incorrectly 99% of the time. Starvation mode is what your body enters into after 2 to 3 days of NO food. If you are truly eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

OP, I hear your frustration. For me, it was overestimating my calorie burns and under estimating my food intake that kept me from losing. But hey, think of all the fitness gains you have achieved! That alone is worth a great deal. Best of luck, and you've gotten lots of good advice here. :drinker:

Thank you! Starvation mode actually shows up on MFP if I eat under 1200 a day, which actually happened when I first started and I was eating super clean, because I had no idea how to get what I needed in a day. It was awful. I was so cranky.

I really wish they would take that starvation mode disclaimer off MFP. It's not accurate and is just used as a scare tactic to have people not go below the recommended 1200 calories. You would need to eat 500 calories or less for months to do any major damage especially when you have a lot to lose. I get cranky under 1200 calories a day but it's not from starvation.
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    Thank you! Starvation mode actually shows up on MFP if I eat under 1200 a day, which actually happened when I first started and I was eating super clean, because I had no idea how to get what I needed in a day. It was awful. I was so cranky.

That's not starvation mode. If you're not losing weight, you're not in starvation mode.

I know that - I said that MFP told me I was if I went under 1200, not that I was actually starving.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Reading through the posts while I eat my lunch and I noticed:

You're still claiming the calories on the HRM are correct but as mentioned before a HRM is not accurate for lifting. Cardio yes, lifting no. There are too many rests and lifting doesn't raise you HR enough to make it accurate. 300 calories burned in a half hour is equivalent to full out running for that whole time. Either your HRM is set up wrong or you're using it for activities it isn't meant for.

You say your BMR is 1330 but from my calculations it's closer to 1700. Maybe check that all your calculations are correct. That said eating at 1500 should still have resulted in weight loss. The dreaded starvation mode has not kicked in.

You really need to weigh and measure everything and log everything, including the cheat meal. If you aren't eating at a large deficit it's easy to wipe that out with a big meal and little bits over every day.

You don't need to eat clean, you need to eat at a deficit. You can eat the same foods your family does as long as you stay in your budget. I eat crap a lot of the time and maintain no problem because I know exactly how much crap I can and do eat. You may be healthier living on organic bean sprouts but it won't affect your weight loss unless you maintain a deficit.

This isn't a weight loss plan, it's a lifestyle change. You don't lose the weight then go back to old habits. You'll always need to be conscious of your food choices or you'll put the weight back on. Make new good habits instead of going on a diet. Read everything you can on BMR, TDEE, NEAT, EAT, etc so you understand how it all works.

Agreed with this^. And I'd recommend not using it for circuit training activities too. My HRM can give me a 500-800 cal burn during a 30-60min weight training session. In reality, it is closer to 250-350.

Here are links that give the technical reasons if interested:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I would really appreciate some help, guys. Please read the whole thing first, if you have the time.

I have been on my healthy journey for three months now. I work out at least 5 days a week (sometimes more), lifting weights and doing cardio. I have a calorie tracker similar to the Polar watches that lets me know I am burning at least 300 calories in a half hour.

I eat healthy. I started off clean, but that is ridiculously expensive and time-consuming, so now I do allow some processed food in my diet that is low calorie, low sodium, high protein. I intake 1500 calories currently, over 100 ounces of water a day. Very little sugar, one cheat meal a week. Really, I am doing all the right things here, and I have researched this daily since I began to make sure I was doing what I needed to.

I HAVE ZERO CHANGE. My clothes fit the same, the scale flucuates in a 4-5 pound range and is never, ever consistent.

To say I am disappointed would be an understatement. I don't know what else to do here.

My first suggestion is to REALLY get your numbers in line. At first blush I bet you are not eating enough. You say you intake 1500 but burn 300 in exercise... that's a 1200 net. Say your TDEE is 3000/day. Then your -1000 calories intake should be 2000/day after exercise. See where this is going?

Get a reliable scale and only weigh yourself once per week. Your water weight can go up/down 3-5 pounds daily.

My example, my TDEE with CrossFit is about 3800-4200 calories in a 24 hour period. Yes, that's a lot. So to eat correctly I must consume 2800-3200 calories per day. Yes, that's a lot. When I don't my weigh loss slows down.

How is cooking fresh, clean food expensive? You can get raw fresh veggies for a lot less than processed foods. if comes in a plastic bag or box, trust me it ain't low sodium...

Oh Lord, here we go again.

1. You are a man, and probably a lot heavier than OP, hence your increased caloric needs.
    2. She is definitely not under eating. If she were, she would have seen the scale drop. It's just math dude.
  • aimeejolene
    Options

You're still claiming the calories on the HRM are correct but as mentioned before a HRM is not accurate for lifting. Cardio yes, lifting no. There are too many rests and lifting doesn't raise you HR enough to make it accurate. 300 calories burned in a half hour is equivalent to full out running for that whole time. Either your HRM is set up wrong or you're using it for activities it isn't meant for.

You say your BMR is 1330 but from my calculations it's closer to 1700. Maybe check that all your calculations are correct. That said eating at 1500 should still have resulted in weight loss. The dreaded starvation mode has not kicked in.

You really need to weigh and measure everything and log everything, including the cheat meal. If you aren't eating at a large deficit it's easy to wipe that out with a big meal and little bits over every day.

You don't need to eat clean, you need to eat at a deficit. You can eat the same foods your family does as long as you stay in your budget. I eat crap a lot of the time and maintain no problem because I know exactly how much crap I can and do eat. You may be healthier living on organic bean sprouts but it won't affect your weight loss unless you maintain a deficit.

This isn't a weight loss plan, it's a lifestyle change. You don't lose the weight then go back to old habits. You'll always need to be conscious of your food choices or you'll put the weight back on. Make new good habits instead of going on a diet. Read everything you can on BMR, TDEE, NEAT, EAT, etc so you understand how it all works.

Agreed with this^. And I'd recommend not using it for circuit training activities too. My HRM can give me a 500-800 cal burn during a 30-60min weight training session. In reality, it is closer to 250-350.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1044313-this-is-why-hrms-have-limited-use-for-tracking-calories
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Thanks for the links!

Here's a question then - if the HRM is probably wrong, how do I calculate my calories burned? Do I just workout for a set amount of time and hope I did what I needed to do?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    It is confusing look up starvation mode. If you are undereating, your body thinks you are starving. Your net calories on MFP should be your goal. Example: this morning I started off with 1410 calories. OK I walked and burned 262, I had breakfast and water. My NET intake is 78 calories. I have 1332 remaining for the day. My breakfast was 320 calories but after walking, my net is only 78. If I eat my 1410 and stop, I will be under that by 262 calories. You need at least a net of 1200 per day net and when I am closer to 1300 net, it falls off. Good luck.

NO

Starvation mode is thrown around on these forums like crazy, but it's used incorrectly 99% of the time. Starvation mode is what your body enters into after 2 to 3 days of NO food. If you are truly eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight.

OP, I hear your frustration. For me, it was overestimating my calorie burns and under estimating my food intake that kept me from losing. But hey, think of all the fitness gains you have achieved! That alone is worth a great deal. Best of luck, and you've gotten lots of good advice here. :drinker:

I really wish they would take that starvation mode disclaimer off MFP. It's not accurate and is just used as a scare tactic to have people not go below the recommended 1200 calories. You would need to eat 500 calories or less for months to do any major damage especially when you have a lot to lose. I get cranky under 1200 calories a day but it's not from starvation.

Well, I don't know about that. I did 1200 and less (around 800-1000 for the most part) for almost a year and ended up losing hair, nail and skin issues, and many other issues due to malnutrition issues. And I was around 210 when I did that. Ended gaining back 30lbs because I had to right myself before trying to lose weight again.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Thanks for the links!

Here's a question then - if the HRM is probably wrong, how do I calculate my calories burned? Do I just workout for a set amount of time and hope I did what I needed to do?

Easiest way is to do the TDEE -20% method which includes exercise calories. Or take your HRM burns and do -30% or -40%.
  • aimeejolene
    Options

Thanks for the links!

Easiest way is to do the TDEE -20% method which includes exercise calories. Or take your HRM burns and do -30% or -40%.

Thanks!
  • Naener
    Naener Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    it really doesnt sound like youre being honest about your intake.

If you are working out a couple times a week, and being completely honest and accurate about how much youre eating and STICKING to your deficit (and yes..., eating BACK the calories you burn) you WILL lose.

soemtimes when doing lifting AND Cardio, you may be gaining muscle under the fat... so even though youre losing, youre still gaining muscle at the same time.

But to be completely honest, with no negative judgment: it sounds like you need to be less defensive, and more honest with yourself AND the people you came HERE to ask advice from.

Its irritating for those of us that ARE being honest and know the system really does work... to constantly give good advice to people who refuse to accept it, then get defensive when they dont get the sympathy they are looking for.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. Like I mentioned before, I WAS clean - 100%. It sucked up so much of my time and showed so little results - plus it was expensive as hell, I am the only one in my house eating like this and so it was like buying groceries twice - I got discouraged. If I had two extra hours in my day and $200 more a paycheck, I could go back to being clean. I'm not trying to make excuses for myself (damn it sounds like I am), but not everyone can go clean. I am trying to do my best with what I have.
    You don't have to go 100% clean but really eggs are not expensive and just changing your breakfast will make a big difference. I would be totally starving if I ate 2/3 cup of Special K.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options

Oh I don't know if my HMR is wrong, I just know what it is all I have to go by. I have no other way of knowing how many calories I burn when I work out. I took a photo of my HMR a couple weeks ago for Instagram - I did 34 minutes, burned 346 calories doing a MIX of cardio and weights. Everyone keeps thinking I am just doing weights. I swear I did not say that anywhere.

And I didn't go back and look at my post, but I know my BMR is not 1333 - my Scooby suggested calorie intake is. My BMR is like 1659.
    346 seems pretty high for a cardio/weight workout.
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    Ok, then the general suggestion is that all of my counts are incorrect and I need to eat better/workout more. Assuming that my counts really ARE right, and I am NOT lying about anything (and really, why would I even want to), then what else? See a doctor?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Ok, then the general suggestion is that all of my counts are incorrect and I need to eat better/workout more. Assuming that my counts really ARE right, and I am NOT lying about anything (and really, why would I even want to), then what else? See a doctor?

Yes. See a doctor, get tested and maybe work with a registered dietitian.
  • Jilllzy
    Jilllzy Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Perhaps your exercise calculations are off. As an example if a woman weighs 240lbs, for a moderate exercise such as walking 3mph, you would burn 8 calories per minute. For High intensity, like jogging or stair machine, you would burn 14 calories a minute.

That same woman needs 2400 calories a day to maintain her body weight. Eating 1500 calories a day, and let's say walking for 30 minutes (burning 240 calories) your net deficit of calories would work out to 2400 - 1500 + 240 = 1140 With a deficit of 1140 at least 6 days a week, you *should* lose about 2 pounds a week. Personally my weightloss fluctuates depending on what week of the month (damn hormones!) And also if I am doing intense strength training/muscle building, I won't see the weightloss for 3-4 weeks.

This helps too: http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    Ok. Doctor appointment made, and now to look for a dietician. A personal trainer is in my future. Thank you.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Oh I don't know if my HMR is wrong, I just know what it is all I have to go by. I have no other way of knowing how many calories I burn when I work out. I took a photo of my HMR a couple weeks ago for Instagram - I did 34 minutes, burned 346 calories doing a MIX of cardio and weights. Everyone keeps thinking I am just doing weights. I swear I did not say that anywhere.

And I didn't go back and look at my post, but I know my BMR is not 1333 - my Scooby suggested calorie intake is. My BMR is like 1659.

The point is "the only thing you can go by" is doing you an injustice if you're using it for the wrong thing.

Look up what your heart rate zone is. If during your mix of cardio and weights, you do not get in that zone, do not rely on your HRM for calorie burns. If you DO get in your heart rate zone and stay there, then log the calories burned as cardio. I'm with others as I highly doubt that you burn 300 calories doing 30 minutes of a MIX of cardio and weights.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain this "eating back" business? It seems to me if you calculate your TDEE with the appropriate amount of exercise, your calorie goal for the day takes your exercise calorie burn into account. What am I missing?

And really, how easy is it to overestimate your exercise calories? "I worked out for an hour, bring on the pizza!"
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain this "eating back" business? It seems to me if you calculate your TDEE with the appropriate amount of exercise, your calorie goal for the day takes your exercise calorie burn into account. What am I missing?

And really, how easy is it to overestimate your exercise calories? "I worked out for an hour, bring on the pizza!"

You are not missing anything. If you are using TDEE you do NOT eat back your calories. That is only if you are following MFP where you tell it how much you want to lose and it spits back 1200 calories when you are female and say you want to lose 2 lbs // week.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

MFP is designed for its users to eat back their exercise calories. TDEE includes exercise calories so you don't "eat them back".

TDEE method is the reason why you may see some of your friends log activities at 1 calorie.
  • aimeejolene
    Options
    Nooooo pizza!