Quick, at home workouts???

Options
I am a stay at home mom. I have 4 children, 3 in school. My youngest, is an active 13 month old. I was wondering, for the ladies/men with children who don't have a lot of time to workout, what kind of workouts do you do? I'm also open to any ideas for quick 30-45min workouts (something quick I can do during my daughters naps) that are effective. I am 24 years old, 5'7, 215lbs. I NEED to lose this weight. Not only do I look unhealthy, I FEEL unhealthy. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has some good, short workouts. Check out 30 Day Shred. If you're looking for something a little more intense, you can check out Focus T25 from Beachbody. It's 25 minutes a day and a REALLY good workout. There's also all kinds of workout on youtube so you can try out different things.

Good luck!
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have lost 64 lbs without a gym membership.... so it is possible!!!

I went online to kijiji and bought a used elliptical for 20 bucks and use that regularily. I also have done the 30 day shred a couple times.

My go to website right now is fitnessblender.com. I really LOVE the workouts because I find that the two trainers are down to earth and their videos are just great! I use it about 3 to 4 times a week.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Focus T25, short, intense, comes with a nutrition guide, but is expensive.
  • Princess_Lee2013
    Princess_Lee2013 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I agree you can get some great at home workouts in that short period of time - focus on intense quick bursts! Maybe invest in getting some weights for home and pair short cardio drills with strength moves. Example: 1 minute jumping jacks, 1 minute reverse lunges holding weights, 1 minute jumping jacks, 1 minute bicep curls, 1 minute mountain climbers, etc. you keep alternating until your thirty minutes are up and you should be good and sweaty by this point. If you have pinterest there are tons of at home workouts that users have posted on there that you can do at home. If you want to message me I am happy to connect with you one to one and let you know some more ideas!!!
  • rolemodel69
    Options
    Focus T25, all workouts are 25 minutes + 2-3 minutes cooldown. There is also P90X3 to be release in early december, 21 workouts,30 minutes each.

If you want more information about any beachbody programs, let me know and i will help you!
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    Just came across this slideshow. I actually do many of these at my desk during the day since I can't sit still.

http://xfinity.comcast.net/slideshow/news-sittingexercise/8/
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've been watching blogilates videos on YouTube. they're really short and I've been able to stick with it because of that. I don't know how they are for fat burning, but I definitely feel better after doing them
  • AbsyPernet
    Options
    JM 30 days shred is a good one and Focus T25

Good luck in your journey :)
  • amymt10
    amymt10 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Most of Jillian Michaels dvd's are 20-30 min. I am currently using ChaLean Extreme (I have 2 kids - 4 & 7). The workouts range from 25min to 46 min. I squeeze the workouts in soon as they go to bed at 8. I'm done 830/845, get a shower then either read or watch a lil tv before bed at 10. Up at 515 for work.

A friend of mine w/3 kids goes to the gym. The gym has daycare for a $1. She's there an hour & half usually.
  • MartiCat70
    MartiCat70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    An inexpensive way that I like is simple... Jump rope.
  • l0velife1
    l0velife1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I would definitely go with T25 like most other people though it does cost a bit of money. Jump rope is amazing cardio! When I need a quick workout though I turn to TABATA. You can throw together any moves you want and find suggestions online easily enough. You can make it as long or as short as you need so if you find you can keep going do an extra round or tack on a few more moves. l-o-v-e HIIT workouts :)
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I bought a step and just do step aerobics while listening to music or watching a TV show. Usually about 30 minutes a day. If I'm strapped for time I go pretty hard, it's a really good workout and gets your whole body if you do various steps (I'd suggest doing it with a video first, I've taken lots of step classes)
  • botello89
    botello89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv <--- type that in your url address
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    fitnessblender on youtube has a ton of 20-45min workouts. Free and worthwhile
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    build in stuff with your little one too like lots of walking with the buggy or if your buggy is safe then even some running. Where I live (northern uk) they have programmes for mums with buggies that include walks through a local park with hill sprints push ups jumping jack stops and more lol If they have those it may be something that has a good social element to it too and if not, maybe you could start something with other mothers too
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    0345528972.jpg?altimages=true&width=310&quality=85&maxheight=310&lang=en&z=110942863

I've been very, very happy with the results from this, and it's something I've been able to do even with the kids running around the room.
  • tjungkunz
    Options
    Agree with Jillian videos, LOVED them and also how I started. I ONLY workout at home, babysit lots of little ones all day (3, 23mths,18mths & 14mths!), have 3 of my own (16,14,11) & am ALWAYS running them somewhere or at a game. I almost only use their naptime, plus I NEED the outlet! Lost over 40 lbs in about 8mths & kept off over 2yrs now. Best advice I took, ADD WEIGHTS, if you don't have any, get them (there are cheap ways, Craigslist, etc), & always go as HEAVY as possible! Friend me if you'd like, looking for more motivated MFP's :)
  • CrystalDawn99
    Options
    Thanks for the awesome advice everyone. I am going to start doing a workout I have on hand, until I can afford a few JM DVDs. The one I'm currently starting is called the "Booty Slide". It has like 4 different workouts. We will see how that goes. I also looked up ideas on pinterest. So, I have a few things to start with. I'm going to start counting calories again (guilty of being lazy and not counting), plus workout and walking as much as possible. I am hoping to own INSANITY by Christmas and want to start that too! I'm on via mobile and don't have a home computer, so can't YouTube.
  • mwooderson
    mwooderson Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Couple of ideas...

1) Build active play with your daughter in every day. Take walks, play safe games where you are lifting her repeatedly with your arms and legs. The yoga studio I go to has a Mommy and Me class so you may want to google ideas for toning with baby.

2) Don't be efficient. What I mean is if you could take care of 2 or 3 tasks with a single trip up the stairs, don't. Make separate trips, each and every time.

3) Workout DVD's from your local library can give you a try it before you buy it solution, not to mention variety.

4) Garage Sale Workout equipment. Someone mentioned this and it is a great idea. Be selective and you can get a great deal.

5) Take a nap. During your daughter's nap time, rest / read / browse through a magazine / sleep. It reduces cortisol from stress and with a house full of kidlets you could probably use the "mental health break."

Best of luck!
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thedailyhiit.com