what do i do with chicken thighs?

barbosa22
barbosa22 Posts: 178 Member
edited September 22 in Recipes
I need some recipes. I have some chicken thighs bone in....

Replies

• Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Chicken with Mushrooms, Prosciutto, and Cream Sauce

"This chicken is quick, simple, delicious and has an elegant presentation! If you don't have prosciutto handy you can use bacon. Make it really special and throw in a variety of exotic mushrooms, shiitake, portabello, oyster, etc. It can be prepared ahead of time and thrown in the oven when ready. Serve with garlic mashed potatoes, buttered noodles or basmati rice."

* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
    * 6 chicken thighs
    * salt and pepper to taste
    * 6 slices prosciutto (thin sliced)
    * 2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
    * 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    * 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)
    * 1 cup sour cream

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Drizzle butter into a casserole dish. Season chicken with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon garlic. Wrap chicken thighs in prosciutto, and place in casserole dish. Sprinkle mushrooms and remaining garlic on top of chicken.
    3. Bake in a preheated oven until juices run clear, about 1 hour. Remove chicken to a platter, and cover with aluminum foil to keep warm.
    4. Pour drippings from casserole into a skillet set over medium-low heat. Whisk in wine and sour cream, and cook until warmed through, about 5 to 7 minutes. Pour over chicken, and serve.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    I make them often cause they are so easy . . . skin them (you don't want that!), then pat dry and season both sides with a sprinkle of one of the two combinations:
    #1 - salt, pepper, chili pwdr, garlic pwdr, paprika, cumin
    #2 - salt, lots of fresh pepper, celery salt, poultry seasoning (or just sage if thats all you have)

I bake them with a light spray of pam at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes.
  • aprilwoo97
    aprilwoo97 Posts: 16 Member
    I got this one on cookinglight.com. The recipe says to use boneless, but you can use the bone-in type also. You may just want to adjust the cooking time slightly. It tastes great! Spicy with a hint of sweetness. Only took me about 20 min to prep and cook. Enjoy!!

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 chicken thighs)

Ingredients
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
    8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
    Cooking spray
    6 tablespoons honey
    2 teaspoons cider vinegar
    Preparation
    Preheat broiler.

Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss to coat. Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil chicken 5 minutes on each side.

Combine honey and vinegar in a small bowl, stirring well. Remove chicken from oven; brush 1/4 cup honey mixture on chicken. Broil 1 minute. Remove chicken from oven and turn over. Brush chicken with remaining honey mixture. Broil 1 additional minute or until chicken is done.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:321 (31% from fat)
    Fat:11g (sat 3g,mono 4.1g,poly 2.5g)
    Protein:28g
    Carbohydrate:27.9g
    Fiber:0.6g
    Cholesterol:99mg
    Iron:2.1mg
    Sodium:676mg
    Calcium:21mg
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    I like to cook them with onion, garlic, tomatoes and Italian herbs. Sort of like a cacciatore. You can google chicken cacciatore, (hunter style chicken) and adjust the reicpe to be very healthy! It's actually already pretty healthy. Serve with whole wheat pasta and something green, maybe a salad?
  • Ravyn1982
    Ravyn1982 Posts: 225 Member
    Grill them with your fav seasoning blend. Lightly BBQ them so you don't have too many calories from the BBQ sauce. Pretty much anything you would do with chicken breast or legs can be done with thighs too:) And they taste so much better then the breast does!!
  • arnoldnagy
    arnoldnagy Posts: 51 Member
    If I had chicken thighs...

I would do some Squat/Lunge combos.

~Arny

sorry, couldn't resist
  • you can de-bone them and make Satay and grill them on the BBQ...yummmm
    I would do that a spread some sweet chilli sauce on the satays as they are cooking...
    Enjoy :)
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    I pour 1/2 jar of salsa over them and bake until done....yum! When their done the meat will fall off the bone!
  • jenthestrawberry
    jenthestrawberry Posts: 93 Member
    I put the lowest sugar, heaviestly seasoned canned pasta sauce over frozen chickent thighs, and cook them at 350 for an hour (or till the thermometer tells me they're at 165).

Then I add an ounce of mozzarella cheese, in a thick slice over, and let it melt. Makes for a tasty dinner entre under 300 calories, and basically 5 minutes of prep. If it's an especially high-calorie day and I need to cut out calories. I only use 1/2 the jar of sauce in, and cut it with water and lemon juice. Then shred only 1/2 ounce of mozzarella over!

A lot of times this dish will satisfy my pasta cravings without any wheat! (I'm allergic)!

Here's my favorite sauce for this: http://www.amazon.com/Rustichella-Abruzzo-Tomato-Sauce-9-53/dp/B000RDOREK
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    super easy "cacciatore"

remove skin.

in a pan, with a little EVOO, lightly sear both sides of each thigh. You aren't cooking them in this step, so it is only 1-2 min each side, your intention is to seal in the juices.

Drop them into a vat of your favorite spaghetti sauce. Simmer on low for at least an hour, but as long as you like (up to about 3 hours)

add your favorite pasta.

Good tonight, GREAT tomorrow. The leftovers really soak up the spaghetti suce flavors, so I always make a big batch so we're sure to have leftovers.
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    What fab recipes.
    You can do anything you l ike with chicken thighs and many people have written down my fave recipes above, but I also love them chopped up with mushrooms, spinach, onion, garlic and ginger with or without a tablespoon of curry powder and eaten with a few spoons of brown rice or noodles. So filling and tasty and not that many cals esp. if you take off the skin.

I also love them skinless and dunked into a mixture of low fat natural yogurt and tikka powder and baked for 20-30 mins and served with a pitta and salad. If I hadn't just eaten a lovely dinner of grilled trout with lemon, brocolli with chili and tomatoes and couscous then I would imagine mysefl hungry!
This discussion has been closed.