What are your excuses and how have you overcome them?

Options

Replies

• verymissk
    verymissk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    "I've always been big"
    "I'll lose my curves"
    "Beer drinkers can't get thin"
    "I'd rather eat delicious foods than be skinny"
    "I blew my food plans, I'm not even going to bother going to the gym..."

.... I overcame all of these excuses by changing my mindset - instead of worrying about the size in my pants, I am concerned with taking care of my bones, organs, muscles, and skin. That requires making reasonable choices most of the time. Instead of taking one small setback and turning it in to several setbacks that require a "restart" day or the likes, I take each choice I make as a singular decision, and remind myself that one bad choice in itself isn't going to reverse all of my hard work, and that I just need to continue moving forward, one little choice at a time.

And I don't set time limits or super restrictive goals on myself. I don't know how that is relevant, but making that decision about my goals has changed everything for the better. Instead of trying to "lose five pounds this month" or "be a size 12 by Christmas" I just spend every day trying to be a better person than I was yesterday.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Alright, I'll start.

Excuse # 1: I also have 3 children, spaced 2 years apart each (not one).

Summer 2011 I was getting up at 5am every morning before grad school and did the Turbo Fire program.

307898_10150376883101095_1601116619_n.jpg

Excuse # 2: Shortly after that picture was taken my mother died.

I found myself eating a drinking a lot. I just couldn't get it under control. I had just got back into heavy lifting (I had done it during my undergrad 8 years before) so I decided to put my emotional eating to good use and go on a bulk.

20127619_7924.jpg20127619_7863.jpg

Excuse #3: Super busy due to grad school, kids, working, busy husband...

Progress has been slow sense. I've had a hard time finding motivation to eat at a deficit. But I've continued lifting, trying for 2-3 times a week while working 30 hours a week and continuing to work on my masters degree. I'd go in the morning before work or school after dropping my kids off at daycare, working through lunches to make up the time. Finally finished my degree in September and am now working 45-50 hours a week. I now get up and work out at home with some old dumbbells with plates that my husband has owned for 20 years. He works 12 hours shifts including weekends and graveyard, plus is an endurance mountain bike racer. I mountain bike on weekends or take the occasional long lunch ride. Now that I'm done with school I think I have my eating back in line, which has brought out my abs once again (profile picture).
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My excuse followed by what I eventually said to myself when I quit lying to myself:

"I can't afford to go to the gym." - That is no longer valid because your place of employment just opened up a free gym on campus.

"I don't have time." - Yes, you do. You get an hour for lunch. Do something with it. The gym is within walking distance of your desk, you moron!

"But I don't want to be all sweaty and gross at work." - Uhh...you can pack gym clothes, and they have a shower. You can go back to work as fresh as you first arrived.

"Yeah, well, I can't get but so small. Feel my rib cage [pokes ribs]. It's not like there's a lot of fat right there. I'm just big-boned." - Ha! Hahahaha! And what about your belly and your legs and your badonkadonk? Dontchya think those could get a bit smaller?

"I am not going to be one of those crazy people who walks in a big circle on their breaks at work. They're ridiculous." - Yeah, and they're doing something and lapping you and not caring one bit what you think about them.

"Well, my husband is a picky eater, and we have to eat out every night to accommodate him and so that we're together as a family." - Really? You're using that as an excuse? Your hubby can fend for himself. You are responsible for having and showing healthy habits to your children so they don't have the same struggles you're having right now. You do lots of other things together as a family. Not having dinner together isn't going to be the deciding factor in a happy marriage and family.

"I don't want to miss out on more time with my kids." - Working out on your lunch break solves that problem, and your husband is more than willing to hang out with them for a little while if you did want to go for a run in the evenings.

"I would rather eat lots of delicious food instead of eating like a bird." - Dude! You don't HAVE to eat like a bird! You can still eat a substantial amount of food within a deficit and enjoy all the things you love.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My biggest one is "I can't cook" so I find myself relying heavily on convenience foods. I am, however, trying to keep the fridge stocked with healthy items that are still pretty easy to prepare.

The other is "I don't have time", although I really enjoy going to the gym, so that one doesn' t count as much either.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    ~Too busy
    ~work two jobs
    ~have an active son
    ~active with church activities
    ~go to my son's football games
    ~don't have time to eat healthy or go to the store to buy healthy foods, they cost more anyway, don't they?
    ~don't have time to go to the gym, feel self conscious about that anyway, I'm so big and don't want others looking at this big person in the gym when everyone there is probably in great shape
    ~have some home equipment to work out with but when I have a chance to use them I'm just too exhausted
    ~of course there is the medical issues: hypothyroidism, anemia, high blood pressure, tired all the time (turned out to need CPAP), anxiety/depression

How did I overcome them?

Divorce.

I began not eating due to extremely high anxiety. Began losing the weight at a good pace. Saw that was good but realized I needed to keep it up the healthy way so I added exercise so July 4, 2012 did a 5k with some friends in just over an hour I finished it. The next week I began going with work friends during lunch up and down 12 flights of stairs. From then on kept up the exercise on a consistent basis every week. Slowly, my eating habits improved, but that took longer to get a handle on, still have issues sometimes.

Ok, so I overcame my excuses in an unconventional manner, however, I overcame them and have lost 114 pounds in the process. I'm not at my goal weight yet, however, I WILL get there! I have learned that there are NO excuses!!! :drinker:
  • AbFabKat
    AbFabKat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    "It's genetic"
    "I don't have time"
    "It's so hard"
    "I'll start tomorrow"
    "I would if only {insert lame excuse here}"

Overcoming them...pulled my head out of the sand, took a very hard look at myself and really decided I didn't want to live a short, miserable life being unhealthy.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    "No time to cook" - I found tons of healthy delicious recipes online for 30 minute meals
    "No money for a gym" - I have a pair of sneakers and a road outside
    "too dark" - flashlight and reflective vest - still cheaper than a gym
  • Yiazach
    Yiazach Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My main excuse was that i was used to eating a lot of calories because i am an x athlete and then the accident i was in made me feel sorry about myself so i packed in a lot of pounds. Then i realized there are other things in life that can make me happy! Good thread maybe we will all learn things from each other
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    "I'm not technically overweight." --Wasn't back then and I'm still not, but I know my shape could be better.
    "Girls aren't meant to do pushups." --Was an excuse while I was in the AF and not able to do more than 10 pushups in correct form.
    "No time." --Always an excuse, and was one especially when I had my daughter.

How did I get over it? Basically I just got tired of hearing myself say/think them. I'm still working on the pushups and getting the shape I want, but I don't make excuses for it anymore!
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I love this thread! The other one is nothing but drama.

Formerly, my excuses were:

"I'm not THAT fat so I can still eat like crap and be fine. I'm just curvy." I suppose this is less of an excuse and more of straightup denial.
    "I can't go to the weight room. They will all stare at me and wonder why I'm even there." Decided one day to just do it.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I always used my kids as an excuse, not anymore!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I always used my kids as an excuse, not anymore!

I've caught myself doing that before. I try not to force my ridiculous eating on my kids, and at times I use that as an excuse to eat whatever/whenever.

I've also been known to say, "I burned 3000 cals yesterday racing, I don't need to log today." Nothing good ever came from that.

• weaving2fast
    weaving2fast Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm sick of being sick. The sand I buried myself in did have its comfort though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If I have an excuse it's a legit one.

Otherwise- no excuses not to work out- or be mindful of what I eat.

I make few exceptions for skipping gym time.
  • loselbs78
    Options
    After I got to old to ride bulls, I just didn't see the point of working out and Trying to stay fit. I didn't have anything to work toward anymore, but than I discovered down hill snow skiing.
  • crazy_Meggerz
    crazy_Meggerz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Umm... Where do I start??

"I am not that fat" - Then I see a picture of myself

"My husband still wants me... so it can't be too bad" - Sex will be so much better when I am healthy and thinner

"My whole family is overweight - they don't seem to care, or why do they get to eat all the good food while I eat salads" - I have to do this for ME no one else!

"I can't go to the gym because I am fat and everyone will stare at me" - I know so stupid

"Its my cheat day" - Then I over eat until I feel sick...lol SMH

"Big girl clothes are always on clearance" - Booo!

These are a few of mine. I will post more when I think of them...lol
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    For several years, I've found making good food choices to be relatively easy since I feel ill if I don't. I didn't like crying every day.

My excuses have centered more around exercise.

"I hate getting up early to exercise."
    Fine, then don't. I work out in the evenings even when I'd rather be vegged on the couch after work. Working out in the evening > working out at the butt crack of dawn.

"I don't feel like it, I'd rather just be lazy."
    Which do I want more? To look and feel better and stronger or to watch stupid amounts of TV? Looking and feeling better and stronger > watching an extra hour of TV

"I hate running."
    So don't run. There's lots of other activities I DO enjoy. Lifting + walking > running (emphasis- FOR ME)

"Who's going to make dinner?
    Nobody's going to starve. I can still provide good meals by planning. Crockpot dinners, pick up a rotisserie chicken and a bag of pre-cut salad, getting help in the kitchen or giving everyone a night to fend for themselves (my kids are all teens or older).
    Kids feeding themselves once in a while > not making time for myself
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I got caught up in that stupid argument on fb...:ohwell:

My excuses used to be "I've always been weak and I always will be" and "It's too hard". BS

Cycling is how I learned that I'm tough as nails and I can do anything I put my mind to. That led to other things that tested my mental and physical strength. I try to not have any excuses anymore...except I've gotten in the habit of eating a lot more and not working out as hard. That's not really an excuse, it's a fact and I own it.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Umm... Where do I start??

"I am not that fat" - Then I see a picture of myself

"My husband still wants me... so it can't be too bad" - Sex will be so much better when I am healthy and thinner

These were mine, too. Also "I have 4 kids." That was it. Then I realized what a lame excuse that was, and just got to work.