Starvation mode

Options
Hi everyone.
Quick question, today I'm about 124 cals UNDER the 1200 MFP tells me to eat. I'm going to go to bed soon. Would I be better eating something to get those cals or do I not bother please? MFP keeps telling me it's too few and my body will go into starvation mode but very often I'm around this number under the 1200.
Many thanks.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    MFP lies. You will not slip into starvation mode overnight although most likely you should be eating more than 1200 calories a day to start with.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode isn't what people think it is, and it's absurd that MFP is so histrionic about it. Go ahead and eat a small snack if you're hungry. No reason not to. But if you're really not hungry and don't feel like eating, listen to your body.
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I often come in at 1200 or under because of the calorie burns from exercise. I have yet to go into starvation mode.
  • floridachristmas
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I try to plan my meals for the day and then as soon as i try to save it I get the stern message telling me I'm not eating enough but if anyone cares to look at my diary, I think there's plenty of food on there! Then, I panick and start planning in things that I don't really want but feel I'd better eat just to get the calories up.
    :sad:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    keep in mind that chronically under nourishing your body can lead to very real problems down the road. Being 100 calories or whatever isn't that big of a deal...but if you're under that 1200 calorie goal (already a huge deficit from maintenance) and exercising on top of that, you're doing yourself a huge disservice. It is very difficult to actually get adequate and proper nutrition with a VLCD...I'm sure you have your vitamins and minerals covered, but getting your requisite fats and protein can be very difficult when you're severely restricting calorie intake.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    One day is not the end of the world.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    You need to make your diary public if you want anyone to look at it
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    You need to make your diary public if you want anyone to look at it

Not sure this is required to answer the question...
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I often come in at 1200 or under because of the calorie burns from exercise. I have yet to go into starvation mode.

Or have you???????

I've heard the first symptom of starvation mode is denial about being in starvation mode.