Belly fat help

Options
I had a baby 9 months ago and have just recently started ramping up my exercise and counting calories on here. My biggest issue is my belly fat. I have a roll above my belly button (ugh) and a smaller one below it as well. I know that having a baby changes your body, but I would like my old, flatter belly back. What is the best way to reach my goal? Any success stories out there. FWIW I am currently training for a 1/2 marathon and doing 30 day shred 5 days a week and my food diary is open. Thanks!

Replies

• quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce, all you can do is keep working on losing more fat and eventually that area should catch up. In the meantime you can keep working those muscles too so they'll look better as you lose.

I have a lot more to lose then you, but in the 30 pounds I've lost so far, it's really noticeable around my neck , shoulders, upper torso and face while my belly, stubbornly remains my problem spot. I just keep plowing forward, eventually I'll get it where I want it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Agreed with no no spot reduction.

Just eat a moderate calorie deficit and do some exercise. Have patience, and it will come off.
  • jessicahill530
    jessicahill530 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response! Good to know I am not alone!
  • Kittyvicious1
    Kittyvicious1 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Nope, you are not alone. Working on losing my belly. Im actually happy with my butt and legs, I just with my belly would catch up.
  • kitchera
    kitchera Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm a mum of two, my youngest is two and a half. My stomach is still my worst body part. There is no muscle tone there and my stomach is rounded all over, infact until recently I still looked pregnant.

I'd suggest general cardio to increase fitness and help build up a calorie deficit and then ab and core work to help 'shape' your stomach.

Good luck with your half marathon, I did one when my oldest was one. I'm in training for another one, but it's a long way off yet! I'm also doing 30 day shred. How are you finding it? Can you feel a difference in your stomach?
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    The belly is my worst area as well. I am doing the calorie deficit, cardio and trying to work and strengthen various muscles. I have 2 children and right now I weigh more than I did during either pregnancy. I have about 20 pounds to go as far as numbers but I need to get some serious changes in circumference of my waist. I really don't care if I change sizes much but just need to be fit for my size.
  • riveroflight
    Options
    My belly was my area of most concern, too. I got it the way I want it (just about) with a good program I found that mixed calorie restriction (healthy food), moderate and very specific weight training, and awesome advice for HIIT cardio. About an hour and 15 min in the gym, 5 days/week for 5 weeks. That combo changed my body most effectively.
  • Sagit775
    Options
    It's the carbs that raise havoc with your belly. I lost 30 pounds in about 3 months by cutting out white flour products, sugar, potatoes, rice, pasta, and sticking to eating lots of veggies and lean meats, chicken and fish (not farm raised). Snack on almonds and other nuts and I was never hungry. Cut out the alcohol, too, especially wine because of the sugar in it. Then, of course, I did exercise on the treadmill about 30 min. 3 times a week.

Hang in there because you don't see much for results the first month, but after that, the fat just starts dropping off and the waist gets smaller and you become much happier. Take before and after measurements. It's impressive.

For more on losing weight check out http://weightandfatlossresults.com .