PIlates question

Options
Im trying to do pilates but every time i get up my head hurts like hell ! What am I doing wrong???

Replies

• CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that this is common - it is because our neck muscles are so weak and we are not used to maintaining proper posture - it should improve after a few days of practice.
  • mzfitns
    mzfitns Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You want to be careful that you have not done cardio prior to the pilates poses. Also keep in mind, that the blood flow in your body will vary according to how you are breathing. The head hurting sounds like a change in blood pressure. Typically when I am instructing a class I hear of pain in the neck, is that also an issue.
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    You want to be careful that you have not done cardio prior to the pilates poses. Also keep in mind, that the blood flow in your body will vary according to how you are breathing. The head hurting sounds like a change in blood pressure. Typically when I am instructing a class I hear of pain in the neck, is that also an issue.
    no neck pain just a severe head ache.
  • thefallguy
    Options
    you may be hyperventilating. I did pilates last night and I was breathing my own breaths and the breaths the lady on the video emphasized. Every time I got up, my head hurt and I felt dizzy even.

You may also be holding your breath a lot, which is hard not to do. When you hold your breath (similar to when straining during a bowel movement), you are doing the "Valsalva Manuever" which causes a sudden drop in your blood pressure... When you get up, even slightly, the blood rushes out of your brain and to your lower extremities via gravity- thus explaining the splitting headaches.

Practice on the right breathing technique, without holding your breath! Try to keep the air flowing evenly and at the pace you need to feel comfortably oxygenated.