What prompted you to start?

Options
What was the thing that made you say "today's the day"?

Mine was two fold. My boyfriend of 9+ months dumped me, so time to do something for myself, and living on my own for 2 months and losing 18 lbs and then coming back home and gaining 6lbs in a week.

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    I wanted to loose weight and look nicer for my husband who is in the Air Force.
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I am the same age as my grandfather was when he passed away due to diabetic complications.
    My father let his diabetes control his life. He's now in end stage heart failure.
    I don't want my daughter to think of me as her fat mom any more.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I didn't have the energy to play with my kids (3 and 2). Now I can chase them all over the playground without feeling like I am passing out.
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Oh goodness....
    to sum it up: I was offered a job 125 miles away from what I thought was my "comfort" zone only to discover that I wasn't comfortable at all.
    I had slowly last 25 lbs from April 2009 to April 2010 and upon moving decided that along with the new job and a chance for a new life, I was going to find a "new" me.
    I've now last 60 lbs-half of what I need to-and am happier than I've been in years. I've lost 35 since June 2010
  • efcdcdb
    efcdcdb Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I lost 65 lbs in 2001-2002, and in the past few years, my weight kept creeping up and creeping up....my "fat" clothes were too tight (unwearable) and I looked terrible in pictures. I went with the "after the holidays" adage and joined MFP at the beginning of January 2010. I have stuck with it pretty faithfully, for almost 10 months so far. Yay!!
    P.S. I know that it says I joined MFP in September 2009 but right after I joined my computer crashed, so I binged my way through the holidays before getting serious. :laugh:
  • harleymotivatedmama
    Options
    Good for you for taking control.
    Mine was all abut self loathing. I have always struggled with my weight but there was a stop point where I would reign it in again. For the last years and 2 babies later I lost ther stop point and the numbers kept going up. I began to loath the mirror and my closet so much it was ridiculous. I made an appointment with my doctor to ask for help. She offered help with stipulations and thiose lead me to MFP and I am so glad.
  • Bonnie555
    Options
    Many many reasons -but the funnest being shoes. The stronger your legs the more comfortable you are in your heels, and I love shoes - LOL:)
  • bree1609
    bree1609 Posts: 136
    Options
    Hmm...not sure I exactly had a "moment." I knew for a long time that I needed to do something to get my butt in gear. I lost 60 lbs in 2007 before my husband and I got together. I was at my lowest weight of 136 lbs when we first moved in together Jan. 2008. Since that time--living together, getting married--I had gained almost 40 lbs (I got up to 174 lbs). Well we kind of gained weight together, but then he got a new job that required him to be very active, and he lost about 20 lbs. I wasn't happy with myself. I found this site and joined the day I did. I've been going strong ever since.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    For me, I always wanted to especially after I had my daughter, but I didn't know how to start, where to begin. I didn't want to exercise because I've tried in-home DVD's, but they sucked. I couldn't go to the gym either because I was afraid to alone and I had to watch my daughter. Then I went to NY for a few months to visit my family and a friend and I were eating Dominos. After I ate that, I just felt like complete crap like I was made out of grease. LOL! Right after that, I knew I truly wanted to do something. I knew someone doing Beachbody and she had AMAAAAZING results. I wanted that. Now I am only 15 pounds away from my goal, 4 months later and I am even more educated in healthy eating habits now and a Beachbody coach. I never though it would lead me to this!
  • katkat987
    katkat987 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I put on a stone over summer from overindulging (Im a student and was loving all the free food).
    I'm at uni 400 miles away from my boyfriend and decided i need to lose that weight - and hopefully a little more on top of that.
    My flatmate helped kick my backside into gear and i signed up with the gym (my uni gym is only £6.50 a month).

I just wanted more confidence, a healthier body and mind, and some visual improvements.
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I had my second child and I was holding onto ten pounds, in addition to the twenty I never lost after the first. I didn't think the upward trend was healthy--I was overweight. Simply put: I wasn't honoring God with my body by taking care of it, so I had to do something. My mother was having some trouble maintaining the weight she had lost and so I joined her weight loss support group. I found this site specifically through a friend with the app on her iPhone.
  • mstarrx2
    Options
    I turned 40 and I have a knee issue! My knee hurt so bad that I was limping. Most people who have serious knee problems end up with bad hips when they get older! I was livilng on Ibprofen and knew that would hurting on my liver, so I said to myself enough is enough. I have a droid and found my fitness pal in the market place and it was free! I downloaded the app and since I have my phone on me at all times it has been easy to record my food and fitness. I lost the first 15lbs and my knee just kept aching. I was about to go get a steriod shot but said to myself what if it needs to be couple of more pounds before I see results so I uped my excercise to 45 mins. on the staionary bike and three pounds later bairly any knee pain!!! Well Its on now, Im not giving up! I have 40 more to go!!! Im loving the journey!!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 and I have a knee issue! My knee hurt so bad that I was limping. Most people who have serious knee problems end up with bad hips when they get older! I was livilng on Ibprofen and knew that would hurting on my liver, so I said to myself enough is enough. I have a droid and found my fitness pal in the market place and it was free! I downloaded the app and since I have my phone on me at all times it has been easy to record my food and fitness. I lost the first 15lbs and my knee just kept aching. I was about to go get a steriod shot but said to myself what if it needs to be couple of more pounds before I see results so I uped my excercise to 45 mins. on the staionary bike and three pounds later bairly any knee pain!!! Well Its on now, Im not giving up! I have 40 more to go!!! Im loving the journey!!!!

WELCOME!!
  • dietcokaholic2
    Options
    Hmm... Heart attack with 99% blockage at the age of 38!
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I got way to comfortable in marriage and put on 25 pounds in 6 months, and I was already overweight to begin with. My wake up call was in January when my doctor told me I was 3 months away from being put on medication for diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol - I'm only 27. I also realized that I needed to get my health in order before my husband and I could have a family. As of today I am no longer in danger of needing of any medications and I only have 11 more pounds to hit my goal!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I had to buy a new pair of jeans and they were in a size I had never ever been at before. My eating habits were appalling too.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Let's see. I was 50 lbs overweight, my cholesterol was almost 300, I rolled out of bed in the morning because of pain and no strength.

I went to my doctor and told him I was off the crestor that was lowering my cholesterol. He asked why, I told him it made me sick after eating certain foods....what foods? pizza............PIZZA:noway: the doctor said!!

It dawned on me that if I had a friend eating that crap, facing coronary heart disease and heart failure, I would have said PIZZA??:noway: too.

So I came home and found MFP. Found a good physical therapist (have a neck injury) who taught me what I can do instead of what I can't............and changed my life!

Small steps got me here, smaller steps will keep me here:drinker:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself from Christmas and didn't even reconginze myself and then saw another picture of mid January where I was with people that I thought I was skinner then and realized I wasn't. Add to that my mom who I always thought I was better shape then was taking spin classes so why couldn't I?