Coffee and it's health benefits (or lack thereof)

Options
I have heard in between stories on how good or bad coffee can be for one. I'm just wanting to hear each side and figure out if I'd like a mug! ;)

Replies

• TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    You'll never have a scientifically foolproof answer as the evidence isn't conclusive one way or another.
    Too many competing studies say different things.

If you enjoy your coffee, consume it in moderation.
  • TheRealBruceWayne
    TheRealBruceWayne Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is fine for you. It actually provides a decent amount of anti-oxidants. Just make sure you don't drink too much/too late if you're sensitive to caffeine. Also make sure to account for any cream or sugars you add because they can up your daily calories in a hurry.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    It's a stimulant.

That's pretty much it.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    It's my lifeblood.

I NEED IT.

/hoards all the coffee.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I enjoy 2 cups a day. I have decided I won't give it up so I drink in moderation. I'm sure there are bad things about it, but that's everything these days. Drink your coffee!! :)
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    too many chemicals.
  • SPPutnam
    SPPutnam Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If I could, I would have it pumping into me intravenously starting around 5 am. It would make the transition from bed to feet on the floor SO much easier!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    It's much healthier for those around me if I have coffee.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    coffee, as with most things, is just fine in moderation.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I read a book (called "Grain Brain") where the author -- who is a neurologist -- mentions that something in coffee triggers the body to produce its own antioxidants and also helps turn on some of the brain's repair mechanisms. It's an interesting read for sure.

I personally drink my coffee black when I have it. I find it helps me reach my dietary goals(because I'm less hungry throughout the day), I'm more awake, and from a number of studies I can safely assume that a cup a day is good for me, or, at the very least, will do me no harm.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee for other's health benefits... I need it to deal! :drinker:
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    It's much healthier for those around me if I have coffee.

this
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    my favorite studies with coffee (only because I have a 85 year old coffee drinking Grandma):

coffee drinkers have reduced risk of cancers and diabetes
    coffee drinkers are more optimistic
    coffee drinkers live a longer life

True? Who really knows, but cant hurt if you enjoy those benefits.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I like it. It makes me need to go poop in the morning right after breakfast, and that's mighty fine because I can't stand doing that at work!

I don't need it to feel awake/alert or energetic though. I wake up like that!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Lots of people love their coffee. It's supposed to have antioxidants and whatnot. A cup or two a day is probably just fine. You all can have mine. I get heart palpitations from caffeine, so I avoid it!!! I don't drink decaffeinated either, because coffee tastes like crap anyway. I'd think the only reason people drink it is for their stimulant fix. That's why decaffeinated coffee puzzles me. What's the point of it? You don't get a buzz and it tastes like hell.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Decaf coffee is crap quality.

Real, good quality coffee tastes amazing. If you think coffee tastes like crap, it's because you either made it wrong, or bought cheap, low quality coffee. Most people make coffee way too weak, which makes it much more bitter.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    coffee has a great deal of health benefits - me drinking it protects the lives of those around me.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    coffee has a great deal of health benefits - me drinking it protects the lives of those around me.
    ^
  • ingoiolo
    ingoiolo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm Italian, our mums give us espressos from their breasts