Bikram Yoga and Weight

Options
I have been on a path to better health for a little over two years and have lost almost 80 pounds (46 on MFP). I have tried many forms of exercise including yoga, walking, jogging, elliptical and most recently have started practicing Bikram Yoga. I understand that this form of yoga is not for everyone, as it is extremely challenging but, when I injured myself running I went looking for something that would offer the same level of physical and mental challenge. that being said, I have definitely found both physical and mental challenge in Bikram yoga. I have a serious love/hate with it but continue to go back because it feels AMAZING when I'm done.

My question is this; I practice 3-4 times a week and work out on my elliptical or go for brisk walks or bike rides on alternate days. My diet is relatively the same as it's been BUT since starting hot yoga I am seeing a gain. I gained 7 pounds in three weeks of regular practice and I don't really feel like I've gained 7 pounds of muscle. Could it be water weight? I increased my intake from 8 cups of water per day to between 12 and 15 and saw a slight change. Has anyone else had a similar experience with this form of yoga?

Replies

• mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't cause you to gain.

The problem with Bikram Yoga is that the heat is really more for your flexability, but it makes you feel like you are working harder. So you might feel like you just went for a jog, but in reality you didn't burn as many calories as you would running.

It does burn calories though. The exact amount is hard to estimate. The heat raises your heart rate so HRMs are not a good measure of calories burned and yoga calories burned are so relative.

So, while bikram has a lot of great health benefits, it is not the most efficient way to lose weight.
  • Jennyfaye13
    Options
    I estimate the caloric burn from the average of several calculators that have been generally accurate historically... they state the calories burned as being anywhere from 500-900 in a 90 minute period.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I burn 800 to 1000 calories in a second month Insanity workout. I don't think there is any way your calorie burn is that high. Do you wear an HRM?
  • Jennyfaye13
    Options
    I burn 800 to 1000 calories in a second month Insanity workout. I don't think there is any way your calorie burn is that high. Do you wear an HRM?
    I don't wear a monitor and I DO NOT eat my workout calories as a rule. This is where I get a lot of "calories burned" info and livestrong.com as well.

http://www.healthstatus.com/perl/calculator.cgi

Have you ever done Bikram? I've done insanity and I have to say the intensity level was similar in my experience.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    As I said, the heat makes you feel like its more intense than it is. I'm not saying you're not burning anything, its just less than it feels.
  • Jennyfaye13
    Options
    As I said, the heat makes you feel like its more intense than it is. I'm not saying you're not burning anything, its just less than it feels.
    As far as "how it feels"... It feels like I'm burning a million calories :) From the calculators I've used 500 calories is the low end. Since I don't eat my workout calories, i should ideally be losing or at least maintaining and posted this question to see if anyone has had experience with Bikram and weight gain. Wondering if it could possibly be water weight? I enjoy (and kind of despise) the workout so, I will continue to go but wanted to hear theories as to why I would see such a significant gain.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Well, the exercise itself won't make you gain weight (fat), overeating would do that. And since you don't eat back your exercise calories, I doubt it's overeating.

Yoga in general works muscles in new ways, and I assume Bikram does that too. When you use muscles in new ways, they tend to retain water for a little while. That's probably what is happening. Give it a few weeks (sorry, I don't remember how long you've been doing this and it's not on my page now). If it is water, it will come back off as your muscles get more used to it and stop retaining so much water. Keep drinking the extra water, too, since you sweat more from working in the higher temperature.

(I also really doubt you've put on 7-8 pounds of muscle in a short time)
  • lisal11
    lisal11 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    As far as "how it feels"... It feels like I'm burning a million calories :) From the calculators I've used 500 calories is the low end. Since I don't eat my workout calories, i should ideally be losing or at least maintaining and posted this question to see if anyone has had experience with Bikram and weight gain. Wondering if it could possibly be water weight? I enjoy (and kind of despise) the workout so, I will continue to go but wanted to hear theories as to why I would see such a significant gain.
    I have a lot of experience with Bikram. Used to do it as much as possible, when I had time, pre-kids. I have never gained weight from it. However, I do gain weight when my muscles are hurt/sore due to loads of water retention (it's happened with other types of work outs). I would think, if you are sore, that you are retaining fluid.
  • Jennyfaye13
    Options
    Well, the exercise itself won't make you gain weight (fat), overeating would do that. And since you don't eat back your exercise calories, I doubt it's overeating.

Yoga in general works muscles in new ways, and I assume Bikram does that too. When you use muscles in new ways, they tend to retain water for a little while. That's probably what is happening. Give it a few weeks (sorry, I don't remember how long you've been doing this and it's not on my page now). If it is water, it will come back off as your muscles get more used to it and stop retaining so much water. Keep drinking the extra water, too, since you sweat more from working in the higher temperature.

(I also really doubt you've put on 7-8 pounds of muscle in a short time)
    Thank you. I too would be extremely shocked if it were muscle. I will report back with changes (which are hopefully fluid retention) after a few more weeks of practice :)
  • Jennyfaye13
    Options

Thank you. i was hoping a more seasoned Bikram practitioner would respond. Your feedback and experience are helpful.
    I have a lot of experience with Bikram. Used to do it as much as possible, when I had time, pre-kids. I have never gained weight from it. However, I do gain weight when my muscles are hurt/sore due to loads of water retention (it's happened with other types of work outs). I would think, if you are sore, that you are retaining fluid.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, take measurements, too. Sometimes the scale is just a big meanie, and measurements can give better gauge of success. :flowerforyou: