I need ideas for not totally blowing it this weekend.

Options
Hi all! Could you lovely people help me with some practical suggestions on how to keep things from getting out of hand diet wise but still enjoy myself? I am going away for a three day weekend with my husband and on the agenda is several restaurants we have been wanting to try that we don't have close to home including but certainly not limited to: a Japanese hibachi and sushi bar, red robin for their spicy burgers, an Indian restaurant (cant think of the name just now) and stops at starbucks and coldstone creamery. There will almost certainly be some indulging in chocolate wine (chocovine).

During the day we will be walking a lot with shopping and sightseeing and the hotel has a fitness center and indoor pool as well so I plan on exercising at least a little in the mornings but I'm not sure how much that will offset all the eating out.

Normally I would just throw all caution to the wind and eat everything in any amount my stomach can stretch to then figure "I'll start over on Monday". I want things to be different this time, but I also don't want to spend the time obsessing and fretting over how many calories are in each thing or avoid experiencing something or someplace due to restrictions. Can there be a happy medium and still be successful with weight loss?

Replies

• Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    share a plate....and order appetizers...

make it fun.
  • faith_76
    faith_76 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Maybe get sorbet at cold stone, skip the fries at red robin
  • ValentineRevenge
    ValentineRevenge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For the Hibachi bar, maybe you could just have one piece of each item you want to try, instead of multiple pieces? That way you can try it all, without going too far overboard on the calories. If you go to Starbucks, you can ask them for a 'short' drink, it's the size smaller than a tall, but it's not on the menu. It might be different where you're going, but the one near to me knows what I mean when I order a short whatever. For the other places, might I suggest ordering off the appetizer or children's menu or possible getting a half order?
  • Jennymcwb
    Jennymcwb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Sharing a plate is a great idea. Also, I recently read somewhere, probably here at MFP boards that you can ask for vegetables instead of the rice/potato/fries option when eating out.

You may find that you may not even be able to eat that much food depending on how long you have been working on changing your diet for weight loss. Take out the good and bad adjectives and just think of it as options/choices. Take advantage of the gym facilities and walk your meals off.

Enjoy your weekend!
  • srogers89
    srogers89 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue this weekend that just passed! My darling partner decided to book a weekend away, which was lovely! However it also meant moving out of routine. We ate out for every meal and drank at every meal.

My basic instinct at the time was order fish where possible, low in calories and high in protein but still delicious! We were by the sea also so quite fitting. At the mexican place we only ordered 2 small entrees to share, normally we would go all out, I really had to reign it in. I thought I would regret not ordering one particular entree because it sounded so delicious, but I can tell you now (2 days later) I can't even remember what it was...no loss there! A main each of what we wanted and we shared the healthiest option for desert. With regards to the drinking I took to drinking only 1 or 2 glasses, again just had to reign in my appetite! I don't regret them one bit and I certainly don't miss the extra 2 or 4 glasses I didn't have.

I am at a loss with indian as it is my favourite cuisine, that is one I just can't not indulge in so good luck! My only other suggestion is walk around a lot if you can, all exercise is good exercise and when you are away it is sightseeing! Carry some nuts or protein bars in your bag for light snacking to try and stop indulging in other foods between the delicious restaurant meals you will be trying!
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you are going, the walking around/sightseeing could be a fair bit of exercise. My wife was into step counters when we went to Kyoto, and we averaged 25k-26k over three days, with a one day maximum over 30,000 . . .

Regardless of your activity, there is definitely a middle ground. Don't worry about losing, just be cognizant of your eating, and try to not go overboard. Everything in moderation . . . :)

Safe travels!
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Eat the things you really want, skip the things you don't. Sounds simple but it's so easy to just devour things without thinking! For example, at Red Robin, if you just want to try that burger, skip the fries or just have a few of your husbands (set a number for "a few" so you don't keep going back for more- like, "I'm going to have 5 fries" and then stop). If you're dying for fries, I'd ditch of half the bun on the burger. Eat slowly and savor each bite, and split things. Don't feel like you have to finish everything. Taste everything on the plate, eat the things that are delicious and "worth it" and leave behind the stuff that isn't amazing (like rice- I almost never eat rice if it's on my plate...but pasta or really good mashed potatoes are hard to resist!). Eat until you're satisfied, not stuffed. If you're grabbing breakfast on the go, choose something high-protein and low-ish in carbs, rather than a bagel (the spinach feta wrap at starbucks is a good choice!) Have a fun vacation, don't stress too much, but pat yourself on the back for every healthy choice you make :)
  • TipTopMMR
    TipTopMMR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Here are my guidelines for eating out; they are manageable and still allow for lots of FUN!
    Choose one of three: Bread, dessert or wine. (In lieu of wine, if you want to do even *better* pick vodka soda with lemon!)
    An entree is usually a hearty salad; I never get pasta.
  • kimtab
    kimtab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    You can totally do it in a low stress way I think. Last vacation I took I came back same weight as I left I was so thrilled! Cut your burger in half before you start eating it and only eat that half. Skip the fries and get another side, Red Robins fries are awesome so steal just one from Hubby :) At the Hibachi place skip the fried rice and stick with meat and veggies. With Indian decide which carb you are gonna eat: rice or Naan, don't have both. Walking around on vacation can be a lot, I did not have a problem getting at least 10,000 steps a day on my last one and if you can hit the elliptical for 30 minutes in the morning that will buy you some extra calories as well. Have fun!
  • Natrgrl
    Natrgrl Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    When you get your food at the restaurant divide it in half (or quarters). Eat one half then wait a few minutes before you decide if you want any more.
  • wowgirl30
    wowgirl30 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    great stuff! I like the idea to just eat half of something...imagine that not cleaning my plate :laugh:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    It's not always a bad thing.
  • awfuldaring
    awfuldaring Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about counting calories or anything, just portion control. I would get a box right when my order arrives at my table so I can halve my meal before I even start eating. Put the box away. If you think you might reheat it as a midnight snack, throw it away before you even get back to the hotel.

Also, drink lots of water! A lot of "weight gain" over vacations is just water retention, from extra salty restaurant food and general dehydration of traveling. Again, don't worry about counting calories. You are going to have the most amazing time! Have fun!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    If you're going to Red Robin, you can't go wrong with the Ensenada Chicken Platter. It is SO yummy, and it's only 430 calories with two chicken filets.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Go on Raw food ONLY every weekend.
  • NH_Norma
    NH_Norma Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about counting calories or anything, just portion control. I would get a box right when my order arrives at my table so I can halve my meal before I even start eating. Put the box away. If you think you might reheat it as a midnight snack, throw it away before you even get back to the hotel.

Also, drink lots of water! A lot of "weight gain" over vacations is just water retention, from extra salty restaurant food and general dehydration of traveling. Again, don't worry about counting calories. You are going to have the most amazing time! Have fun!

THIS! I recently dumped soda over the remaining portion on my plate when I went out for lunch. My lunch partner was shocked, but I was very proud. :) A less messy and less obvious option would be to dump salt all over it.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Doing portion control BEFORE you eat is key! If you're not going to eat an entire restaurant portion, box it up or put it on a plate for one of your tablemates. Enjoy your meal, but don't enjoy more of it than your calorie allotment allows. :bigsmile: