Pull up tips and tricks?

Options
Hey everyone. I've been trying to get my # of pull ups....up, and was wondering how YOU guys do it. Here's my form:

I start holding the pull up bar, dangling my body as far as gravity allows, with feet crossed and behind my back. When I start the pull ups, I try to go at a moderate pace, but always tend to start swinging if I'm doing "wide grip" or "close grip" variety. And my feet start behind me but usually end up in front as I'm struggling to pull up. Am I doing something wrong here?

I can currently do:
5 rev grip
3 close grip
3 wide grip
Not all at the same time, usually 5, then 3 later, then the other 3 later.

2nd question, do you have little tricks that you to get your number up. My pull up bar is at my bedroom door, so I was thinking maybe trying as many as I could every time I went in there, or maybe try every hour? Every time I get a snack? I don't know.

What do you guys and gals do?

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    think you've got a good idea there.

Arnold used to say 'do as many sets as it takes to get to X'

take as many sets as it takes to hit 15 or so. Do it in one session or all day long. was actually planning on doing that myself. i can get about 12 with a medium grip.

you could also try using a chair to get some extra reps. they also sell pullup assisting bungie straps, i've used that.

you could also go the other way and get a weighted vest or something and try to overload, might be a bit early for that though.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    2nd question, do you have little tricks that you to get your number up. My pull up bar is at my bedroom door, so I was thinking maybe trying as many as I could every time I went in there, or maybe try every hour? Every time I get a snack? I don't know.

That's referred to as "Greasing the Groove" and it's actually a very good way to up your #s.

Also, no swinging when doing Pull Ups unless you do Crossfit ;) Seriously, you want them to be strict, lead with the chest, shoulders retracted, elbows down.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks guys! I will set a goal for each "flavor" and work on my form.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's hard I can only do one regular overhand pull up without a chair, the rest I need a chair. The stronger you get the more reps you can do :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

That's referred to as "Greasing the Groove" and it's actually a very good way to up your #s.

Also, no swinging when doing Pull Ups unless you do Crossfit ;) Seriously, you want them to be strict, lead with the chest, shoulders retracted, elbows down.

this. grease the groove is good. very helpful with pull ups- it does have an "expiration" date- meaning- you cannot keep doing this over and over again for months on end it will lead to injury- but it IS a useful technique. I'ts how I got good at them in school when I needed to be.

now I do them every other workout or so and I am training for muscle ups- so it shifted a little- I need explosive power- but I start with max reps.
    then weighted pull ups
    then clapping pull ups (well precurser to clapping- i just pull so I get air under my hands- i can't clap ... yet)
    then when i tire of those- usually I can get 2 sets in- I switch to the smith machine- and I do inverted clapping pull ups/rows on that.

You are on the right track- just keep going!
  • Dawn_Snowden
    Dawn_Snowden Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would say do negatives after you have exhausted your usual number. Use a chair to lift yourself over the bar and SLOWLY lower yourself down. Count as you lower yourself and try to increase the count each day. Do as many negatives as you can to exhaustion.

It is possible to overtrain so i don't know if I'd do them every time I came in/out of a room. Arnold was crazy like that though. He also did shoulder flies lying on his side and said he'd do these every day to exhaustion to build his deltoids. But then he also injected the juice so...