Looking for Low Fat and Low Carb Recipes

Options
My Dr. put me on a low carb, low fat diet. I am having trouble finding foods that fall into both categories. I would appreciate any help you guys might have.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My Dr. put me on a low carb, low fat diet. I am having trouble finding foods that fall into both categories. I would appreciate any help you guys might have.

Are you doing a PSMF?

Chicken breasts, lean cuts of beef etc
  • Bpmathis
    Options
    PSMF????? not sure what that is. lean meats for sure, I'm just having a hard time finding much of anything else I can eat. fruits, veggies all high in carbs.
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Crockpot buffalo chicken
    3 lb bag frozen skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    12 oz bottle Franks Red Hot Buffalo Sauce

Throw the chicken breasts in a crockpot and pour the entire bottle of sauce over the chicken. Cook on high about 6 hours or low 8 hours.

Good served with ranch dressing or on a low-carb wrap with lettuce and ranch dressing.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Bump for yummy recipes!
  • helenrosemay
    helenrosemay Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Low fat cheeses, egg whites, fish, some nuts (pistachios) some veggies have a small amount of carbs. Has your doctor said cut out all carbs or just grains, breads etc as fruit and veg is very healthy and has natural sugars rather than processed.
  • Bpmathis
    Options
    Low fat cheeses, egg whites, fish, some nuts (pistachios) some veggies have a small amount of carbs. Has your doctor said cut out all carbs or just grains, breads etc as fruit and veg is very healthy and has natural sugars rather than processed.

He said any carbs I eat should be from fruits and veggies only, but try to eat as few carbs as possible.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, vegetables, fruits. Soups, chili, stews are good ways to cook without added fat.

Grilled lean fish/meat with vegetable side.

Make lasagna with thinly sliced zucchini instead of noodles and mix crumbled firm tofu and reduce fat cheese instead of full fat cheese.

Dress salads and vegetables with vinegar instead of oil based dressings.
  • Domane1963
    Domane1963 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can swap to courgette (zuccini?) "spaghetti" - great with a quorn (mycoprotein) bolognaise sauce. Use a julienne peeler to strip off the courgette and dry-fry in a non-stick pan for about a minute. Can also use to make bagette style pizza bases, or sheets of "lasagne" if you have a mandoline that can slice them thinly....

You can put cauliflower into a blender to make "rice" - great under a curry..... blitz in the microwave for about 3 mins and is really tasty.

You can also use cauliflower "rice" to make PIZZA...

http://www.theluckypennyblog.com/2013/02/the-best-cauliflower-crust-pizza.html

Swap potatoes for sweet potatoes..... not much less in calories but a much lower GI.

Lentils are a good source of vitamins and are "complex" carbs so they take longer to digest and you need less.... they are a healthier version than "white carbs" (rice, pasta, bread and potatoes)

I've been low-cal, low-carb for about 4 months and have shed 45lbs. I also run three times a week and feel fantastic so I must be getting what I need :)
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Veggies are very low carb for non-starchy ones. You can eat several cups a day and not be over 30 carbs. I suggest you take a look at www.atkins.com for their low carb food lists. It's high fat so don't look at the meats and fats! Berries are also low carb and very tasty. Instead of thinking of eating a whole apple, eat half and save half for tomorrow. Same with other fruits.
  • weaving2fast
    weaving2fast Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm such an idiot. I thought I was eating low carb until I decided to check the back of the frozen corn package in my freezer. That explains so much!
  • lmd177
    lmd177 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Any Dark Greens, Kale, Spinach, Lettuce, Escarole, Broccoli......Then your Meats should be Chicken, Fish, Eggs, Lean Red Meat (Filet Mignon). If it's White-(No Good) Go with Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Zucchini
    If you eat Fruit and Vegetables just make sure they're Fresh. Limit the amount you eat. You should think about drinking a Whey Protein shake in between meals to keep you full. If you're eating "Good" carbs its okay.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • MechanicalCritter
    MechanicalCritter Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I found this from another thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/917501-does-low-carb-always-mean-high-fat
    Thought it might be useful to you.
    If you aren't eating carbs, and aren't eating fat, then you are eating protein. Excess protein is converted to glucose, and impacts your body in the same way as carbs. Fat is also satiating, so if you aren't eating fat, you are often in the hunger cycle. That means you are less likely to remain committed to the program. It's not to say that you won't lose weight - just that the deck is stacked against you, and it will be more difficult.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Definitely try to max out on your leafy greens and lean proteins. Steamed broccoli is great because it's pretty low carb and very filling... same with kale. Have you ever tried kale chips? Delicious.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I found this from another thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/917501-does-low-carb-always-mean-high-fat
    Thought it might be useful to you.
    If you aren't eating carbs, and aren't eating fat, then you are eating protein. Excess protein is converted to glucose, and impacts your body in the same way as carbs. Fat is also satiating, so if you aren't eating fat, you are often in the hunger cycle. That means you are less likely to remain committed to the program. It's not to say that you won't lose weight - just that the deck is stacked against you, and it will be more difficult.

^This. Most doctors are not educated in nutrition and they often give out terrible dietary advice. A prolonged very high protein diet is actually dangerous. You really do need fat (and far more than 30% imo) and it's extremely satiating. I'm with you on the low carb thing, but I heat high fat, moderate protein. My volume of food is small, but my satisfaction is high. Getting enough nutrients means that I don't need to eat huge amounts to feel awesome.
  • Kolmi01
    Kolmi01 Posts: 46
    Options
    Bump yum!
  • JaneInKansas
    JaneInKansas Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    PSMF????? not sure what that is. lean meats for sure, I'm just having a hard time finding much of anything else I can eat. fruits, veggies all high in carbs.

You have to look at the fiber, berries are good (super high fiber) ...

Dark leafy greens (Kale, spinach, collards, chard, broccoli rabe) ... steam and sauté w/ a bit of chopped garlic .. delish!

Broccoli and cauliflower and other non-starchy veggies are good ... spaghetti squash ...

It's the denser stuff like root veggies and starchy/high sugar/low fiber fruits like bananas, pineapple, etc ... that you need to watch out for on this type of plan ...

FTA: Plain Low or Non fat Greek yogurt and low-fat cottage cheese are good non-meat protein options and can be used in both savory and sweet applications ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

He said any carbs I eat should be from fruits and veggies only, but try to eat as few carbs as possible.

you might want to get a second opinion. Not sure why you could not have whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc...

do you have a certain medical condition that makes you sensitive to carbs?
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, vegetables, fruits. Soups, chili, stews are good ways to cook without added fat.

Grilled lean fish/meat with vegetable side.

Make lasagna with thinly sliced zucchini instead of noodles and mix crumbled firm tofu and reduce fat cheese instead of full fat cheese.

Dress salads and vegetables with vinegar instead of oil based dressings.

Be careful, some vinegars like balsamic and rice wine are high in carbs, not that that's a problem normally, but in this case, it is ...