"At The Drive-Thru" Tips

Options
neelia
neelia Posts: 750 Member
While I was at Target this morning, I picked up Prevention Magazine's "400 Calorie Meals" pocket guide. One page in particular caught my eye and I figured I would share.

The following is a list of 3 popular fast food joint items under 475 calories.

POTATOES & ONION RINGS
Burger King small fries || 340 calories
McDonald's small fries || 230 calories
Wendy's sour cream and chives potato || 320 calories
Burger King medium onion rings || 400 calories

CHICKEN
McDonald's McChicken Sandwich || 360 calories
Wendy's Crispy Chicken Sandwich || 360 calories
Burger King Chicken Tenders (8 pieces) || 360 calories
McDonald's Chicken McNuggets (7 pieces) || 320 calories
with 1 package BBQ sauce || 370 calories

BURGER
McDonald's Quarter Pounder || 410 calories
Burger King Double Hamburger || 370 calories
Wendy's Double Stack || 360 calories

FISH SANDWICH
McDonald's Filet-O-Fish Sandwich || 380 calories
Burger King BK Big Fish Sandwich (without tartar sauce) || 460 calories
Wendy's Premium Fish Fillet Sandwich (without tartar sauce) || 390 calories

=) Happy eating.

Replies

• Fuhgeddaboudit
    Options
    :noway: why did i used to eat that crap?
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Great information to have handy! But I can't believe they left off a Large Wendy's chili with cheese - 400 calories :smile:
  • carlajp18
    carlajp18 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Chick-fil-A grilled chicken sandwich is "healthy" at 300 calories but found out it was high in sodium. But it will work when I'm rushing through a busy weekend.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Most of these meals are really high in salts. So, please be aware.
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    omg. prevention is sponsored by which company now--ConAgra??? the sodium and carb counts of that list!!!!!!!!!
    media manipulation in what used to be a helpful little mag. sad.
  • tabathamaree
    Options
    low cal foods trick you into thinking its ok but you really need to check out the other nutriton levels like carbs, sugar, sodium, etc. Just like with lean cuisines...they are low cal but some of the carb/sugar values are thru the roof. Be smart guys and remember MODERATION is key :)
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    thanks this is helpful when I am in a hurry
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    The only fast foods I eat anymore are basically subway or Panera.

When I do eat McDonalds it's either a salad or snackwrap (just one) OR if I want a meal (RARELY) a filet o fish with no cheese and a small fry (which I share with my son) and a small diet coke. Compared to when I used to eat a fish, 2 mcdoubles, and a large choc shake plus large fry that's nothing!!!
  • tabathamaree
    Options
    @jsecret that is what we call moderation! good for you :)
  • jsecret
    Options

And amazingly enough it actually fills me up now! I can eat just a small meal and feel stuffed vs before when I'd eat nearly 3 and still be hungry... what a great change :)
  • jsecret
    Options
    :) oops, double post
  • jsecret
    Options

And amazingly enough it actually fills me up now! I can eat just a small meal and feel stuffed vs before when I'd eat nearly 3 and still be hungry... what a great change :)
  • tabathamaree
    Options
    I'm the same way and it feels so good!
  • c7eat2live
    c7eat2live Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    its terrifying to think that I used to eat fast food. yuck. for 400 calories I could eat some organic chocolate, a large piece of veg lasagne, a healthy grilled cheese, a large bowl of homeade soup. ugh, the tradeoff is just not even worth. I would rather spend ten mins in the kitchen in the morning packing a wrap or fruits and veg than 10 mins in the drive through line.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Like some others have said, this only takes into consideration calories and not fat/carbs/etc. While it is good to know that there ARE fast food meals under 500 cals, it is still important to see how much fat is in them. For example, that fish filet sandwich from McDonald's has almost 20g of fat- which is 1/2 the fat you can eat in one day if your diary is set to the minimum (1200 cals, 40g fat). I do still eat them, let's just be honest, but only on days where I have enough fat left. It is more about the fat than calories when it comes to fast food for me because I know I can pick an option with less calories than I have left but generally the fat is a bit more tricky to navigate.

Wendy's "jr" burgers (the burger, the cheeseburger, and the bacon cheeseburger) are all under 400 calories also.
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    subway, while it's low in calories and fat, it has pretty high sodium content basically because it's processed deli meat they use. I did subway for like the first week of using MFP, but when i saw the sodium content i go with something else.
  • saj9291113
    Options
    The drive-thru diet was something I was on for the longest time, and it packed on all the bad stuff. Now I've stayed away from them at all cost and it has saved me money and cal/sodium/fat/etc.
  • poodlepaws
    poodlepaws Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I have gone 3 weeks without ANY fast food of any sort; McD's we haven't had in 2 months easily.....

We'd rather spend a little more money and go to a sitdown restaurant where we can be a little more healthful and not clog our arteries with all the fat, salt, etc....

amazing at what eating healthier does for a mind, body, and decision making!