I absolutely HATE strength training!

Options
13»

Replies

• traceyjj
    traceyjj Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    First thing I did was got a trainer, he started me on circuits, with a bit of weight work and some cardio.... focusing on the HIIT side of things. As I got more into weights, we switched from circuits to doing weight work.. he works out how much I should weight I should be lifting, and what lifts and accessory work I will be doing. It takes out all the worry about "am I doing the right thing" Eventually I will transition back to circuits/HIIT with the trainer, and work weights by myself, but only when I know what I am doing :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    hey man, if you don't like strength training, you don't have to do it.

plenty of runners, triathletes, and endurance athletes out there don't.

They aren't competitive. All of the competitive cardio/ endurance runners will do some form of strength training.

Koing

hey koing

the competitive iron man triathletes don't do any strength training. there just isn't enough time in the day for them to do it. they have too much distance to put in on the swim/bike/run.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Tababa is a quick and fun strength training routine. It can be as short as four minutes up to about 30 minutes (for advance people) There are lots of online videos that you can review.
    so you would do sit -ups for 20 seconds, have 10 seconds off then do - say - mountain climbers for 20 seconds then 10 seconds off. and do this for 6-10 different positions. The idea is that you can anything for 20 seconds, it's not that long. it's quick and you don't really need any equipment other than a stop watch (I downloaded "Seconds" trainer it is specifically for Tabata training.) I found LOTS of beginner videos to follow when I started. Its great!
    Have fun and good luck!
    Tabata isn't a strength routine though. It's an endurance program.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • onetoughmudder
    Options
    bumpage for linkage when i get home
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I agree with you completely about it being confusing. A couple of months ago, I began to take a group class at the YMCA gym with free weights. So helpful in introducing a person to strength training. I'd highly recommend you looking into a group-type setting where you have access to a certified trainer (but not paying those personal trainer-type individual class fee). The instructor can give you feedback on the proper form, what amounts of weight are appropriate for various muscle groups, etc. There are also books (New Rules of Lifting series of books seem very good, I'm reading one now from the library). There are also a lot of people here on MFP that lift and have a lot of knowledge. I'm still very much a novice but am eager to learn more. I still kind of dread going to the class but once I'm there I'm fine! And in only a couple of months, I am stronger and can see a difference in my body...
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    P.S. Yes, the class at the Y that I take is based on Body Pump, with music and a fun atmosphere. The hour just flies by, except for the weighted squats -- but we get them over with at the beginning!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment to see at PT and take it from there. Start slow, build up.

Or, get yourself a good book - Starting Strength or similar - and watch YouTube clips with correct form.

Weight training will change your body in a GOOD way.
  • conqueringsquidlette
    Options
    being able to SEE changes in how much better I can lift so quickly makes me feel like I'm not wasting my time.

And the same effect comes from CV work, notwithstanding significantly better toned legs, and the reduction in subcutaneous fat in the upper body, there is a significant performance increase.

Six months ago I couldn't run 10Km in less than 60 minutes, now I can.

As in my previous, the two are complementary, but it's a question of finding what fits and works for you.

That hasn't been my experience. My heart is just not happy with cardio work - shoots up way too fast way too quick even with a stiff walk. Running is out of the question.

But your final point is spot on. :)
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Don't know what to do as for as reps, certain exercises, sets. I am just so confused and lost. Where do I start??? How do I begin???? What got you into strength training????

Pick a novice program, and stick with it. For a long time. Learn only the lifts in that program, but really learn them. Watch youtube videos, read books, ask swole friends, and hire professionals if needed, to help you learn the lifts.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I can do cardio everyday if I could. In fact, its my favorites. I dread strength training even though I know I suppose to be doing it. Its just plain out confusing! I really don't know what I am doing. Don't know what to do as for as reps, certain exercises, sets. I am just so confused and lost. Where do I start??? How do I begin???? What got you into strength training????

How can you hate something you know next to nothing about?

You hate the fact that you are ignorant of it, not the thing itself.

Read Starting Strength by Rippetoe. Learn the form for the basic compound lifts and follow the programme in the book for a minimum of 3 months (ideally more). Alternatively, get on another good beginner programme: All Pro SBR, Stronglifts, Greyskull LP, NROL, etc.

Then you'll have the right to have an opinion about whether you hate it or not.
  • peterjasper
    peterjasper Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Keeping thread for inspiration to start hitting the gym.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Why do people "hit" the gym, but "do" bodyweight exercises? Just an observation; not a dig.
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    BUMP for later
  • Baillie1210
    Options
    Stick to the basics:

Do a full body workout. One exercise per body part for 3 sets of 10 reps. Here ya go:

Squat
    Pullup
    Push up/Bench press
    Side laterals (shoulders)
    Bicep curl
    Tricep curl
    Crunches
    Leg lifts

That is completely incorrect for strength training.. 3 sets of 10 reps is hypertrophy volume, Strength is 1-5 reps 1 being 100% max effort and anything between 5 - 10 sets take as much rest as needed i usually take about 3 minutes going heavy. and bicep curls and tricep curls (what ever they are) and side laterals are not things you want to be doing when your trying to loose a lot of weight.

I recommend doing compound movements, Deadlifts, Squats, Rows, Overhead press, Weighted pull ups & chin ups, Dips.. Not ****ing bicep curls lol!!!