whole chicken

Options
rockchick793
rockchick793 Posts: 30 Member
I went to the grocery store and the whole chicken was .59 a pound so I decided to stock up on them. Needless to say, I don't really have any ideas on how I should cook them other than lemon pepper...any better and tasty ideas??

Replies

• kelseyt17
    kelseyt17 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You can slice them up into strip sizes and fry them (in water) with vegetables, its really good.
  • mandyc1108
    mandyc1108 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Boil it, pull the chicken off the bone, and make soup out of it. You can add any type of veggies to it you want. I usually do mine in the crock pot and let it simmer for several hours.
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    If it is a whole chicken you can roast. Tablespoon of olive oil rubbed all over. Salt, peper and garlic on the outside. Quartered lemons, garlic and herbs on the inside. Truss (tie) the legs together with string. Place breast side down in roasting pan and place in 425 oven for 20 mins. Take out and turn chicken breast side up. Turn oven down to 350 and roast another 45 mins to an hour until knife in thigh produces clear (no red or pink) juices. The best is that you can use on salads, sandwiches and sliced for dinner and then toss the carcass in with cut onion, carrot, celery and bay leaf and make chicken broth. Add the leftover cut up chicken and make chicken soup. You can add noodles or rice (in moderation as they are fattening). Beans may be a better choice. Any veggies too! Freeze individual portions to take to work with you. Enjoy!
  • princessmedic
    Options
    I put mine in an oven bag and cook it an hour....rub seasons all over-you can do lots of combinations. Garlic and pepper....Rosemary...rotisserie spice...cajun. I usually stock up on seasonings (you can find them at a dollar store usually 2/$1) and then there are endless ways to go with it.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    My family has put whole chickens in the slow cooker with different types of seasonings, and it always turns out well. Leaves a fair portion of leftovers, and goes great with a huge variety of veggies :)
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Congradulations on the price! Google chicken recipies have alot of choices!!! Balk,balk,balk! [ that is a chicken sound right?]
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i threw one in the crock pot yesterday and sprinkled garlic powder on it, a few hours later (on high) we were eating! It gives it a light garlic taste.

Usually i use Mrs Dash, sometimes i chop up some garlic cloves and just throw them in the cavity. I cook a whole chicken every few weeks, because i get them at the Market for about 10 dollars for a 3 - 4 Lb chicken.
  • SaraTN
    SaraTN Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Good buy! I prepare mine by roasting it in the oven with a few basic seasonings like garlic, salt, pepper and sometimes tarragon and lemon zest... then I pull the chicken and remove the skin and use it in soups, make chicken salad, add some kick to it and use it in tacos (made with soft corn tortillas) and some fancy apple salsa or just have it to munch on. Sometimes simplicity is the best but when you have some pre-cooked chicken you just cant go wrong!
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be putting my birdie on the grill tonight..."Beer Butt Chicken". Stick a can of beer up it, season w/ salt & pepper (or whatever you want) & cook on the grill for about 2 hours (depending on how big the bird is). You can also get a ceramic base to put the beer in (that's what I did), for about $5. It's now my favorite way to cook chicken now. Turns out so moist & tender!! yum yum!
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    have one ready for the crock-pot tomorrow. A little water, red skin potatoes, onions, garlic, and carrots...different seasonings for taste! YUMMY!!!!
  • rockchick793
    rockchick793 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thanks ya'll appreciate all the yummy ideas! So can't wait to make mine tomorrow