MFP changed my life

Options
Took a few minutes to look back at my first few posts here. It made me choke up thinking about how much this website has done for me! I've never been one to go on anything called a "diet", but I've always been up and down on the scale 20-25 lbs. Usually related it to what's going on in my life with work, family, school, etc.
Throughout the years, I've always looked for some magic answer for why I'd gain weight. I'd try to cut out one or two bad habits to lose weight and then end up starving myself and working out like crazy when that didn't work. I've never lost weight in a healthy way despite all my research and background knowledge about nutrition. My ignorance was the most obvious the first few days that I started my diary on the site and was told that in 5 weeks, if I ate what I'd eaten that day, I'd be 5 pounds heavier. What a wake up call!
After using MFP for 3 months, I finally feel like I have the magic answer. It was so simple all along. You are what you eat. Trying to ignore, minimize, or justify what I eat, and basically not knowing exactly how much I was eating was the problem. Having a simple tool to provide the proof in numbers that I can not deny makes me finally feel like I am in control of my body and my size. I can make decisions about food throughout the day and fully understand the consequences to making a not so great choice. (i.e. a longer run tomorrow, or less to eat tonight)
Coupling the food diary with the exercise diary enhances the benefits here as well. Being able to set goals, see my progress, and plan for the future is so motivating.
The best part is the community, though. Sharing my failures, as well as successes with other members is priceless. Knowing that other people struggle, the same as I do, and learning how they deal with the same issues has been a great help. Thank you to everyone who has encouraged me. Even a simple "great job" gives me that little push to try to keep moving along this journey.
My profile states "Wants her wardrobe back!". I can now fit into everything in my closet, except for a couple of things that are too big :-). Yay! But more than that, I'm not hiding anymore, not trying to cover up bumps and rolls and pouches that screamed "I'm out of control!". Now, with the help of this site, I'm in control, and it shows . . .

P.S. When I tell people about myfitnesspal, the thing they can't believe is that it's all free. Such a bonus!

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    Beautiful post, Congratulations on all you have GAINED!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    great post! This stuff really works. It tells us more than just simple nutrition. It tells us how much we used to eat vs. how much less we can actually survive on. I love this website. Its not only informative but has so many handy tools. Thank u for all your feedback. It is really making me happy to be here.:flowerforyou:
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I thought I knew a lot about nutrition and healthy eating habits, but my biggest fear was being hungry. I have finally been able to manage my hunger without overeating and it is thanks to MFP.
  • lee66
    lee66 Posts: 4
    Options
    Very inspiring! Congrats!!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    yes this site is AWESOME! great story, inspiring!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Congrats and a plus 1 from me about the value of MFP. It is an "in your face" real life look at what you eat and what you burn. No tricks or gimmicks, just plain truth. The fact that it is such a simple equation makes it easy to figure out if you are willing to work at it.

It is hard work, I'm not pretending it is otherwise, but MFP gives you the tools you need to understand why you are what you are and how to change that. They don't ask you to give up anything except quantity.

Congrats again on your success!:bigsmile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!